Break in

TimTFSI

Reaction score
You can imagine my joy at waking up to find that my car had been broken into this morning. That was alleviated by the fact that nothing was stolen. I suspect they were after my tom tom sat nav, but that was in my house at the time. I am annoyed that the alarm didnt go off. It certainly did when I got near the broken window! Why didn't it go off when the window was broken?

Timmy sorry to hear about that, unfortunately i do not think the audi alarms are worth a toss myself as i can set mine off by mistake and you cant really hear it, Audi prob think that because people do not take much notice in car alarms going off there is no point in having loud alarms on there cars, have you switched the movement sensor alarm off at some stage and forgot to reactiviate it? try lowering the window and then just place arm into vehicle, im posistive it should go off unless of course you have deactivated it, too be honest you probably slept through the alarm going off as there not that loud

Just like most of the Audi crap then, I have the flat tyre warning option on my car, that failed to go off twice last week to let me know I had flats, or just like the folding mirrors that fail to fold back out - just get used to it, its a Audi, i mean its not as though its a premium brand that we all paid extra for because we thought that the pile of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif might be well made and last....

I've got the tyre pressure warning system too, making me paranoid now! Guess the only way to test it is to set it and then let tyres down one at a time - bit of a fag though. Suppose could just leave it in a few undesirbale parts of the country for a few days, but then the whole tyre would be misssing rather than let down!

I think from memory the manual says it will warn you if the tyres drop a significant level from the reference point you set - problem is what is 'significant'? I would hope perhaps a drop of 10lb not from 35lb to 2lb, bit late by then!

Mine has additional security apart from the alarm - the fuel filler flap won't open automatically so the hoodrats would be stumped when it ran out of petrol. It also leaks oil thereby leaving a trace for the Police to follow, a new form of tracker if u like, a by product of Audi's legendary quality. Also if they turn on the 'follow me home lights', the dash buttons all flicker, with a bit of luck they'd think they were in a disco and stay put until the Police arrived - don't you love Audi quality. NOT impressed.

Have you complained to the dealer - d3fy? Presumably u have a malfunction?

Mind you, I'm paranoid now. 3 months ago I checked my tyres after 9 months and 3000miles of use. They all read 23lbs which is a trifle low! Either they had all lost air at the same rate over 9 months and the tyre pressure sensor hadn't kicked in or it left the factory with all set at 23lb????

Guess I'll have to let one down and see if it registers?

Mate you need to check your tyres weekly not every 9 months! alluminium is a porous metal, I know wheels now a days are made in high pressure casts but they still leak.

Out of interest there is a new Act of Parliament which comes into force on 1 January 2007 called the Audible Motor Vehicle Alarms Act 2005. I think it's the UK answer to an EU directive. The main part of this Act states that any (new) car alarm:

(a) may not at any time emit a noise exceeding 55 decibels,

(b) may not emit a noise for a continuous period of more than ninety seconds,

(c) may not emit a noise for more than ninety seconds in response to a single event initiating the emitting of a noise, and

(d) shall be maintained in good working order.

As this is already an EU Directive I assume than any new Audis are already fitted with alarms meeting this requirement, hence the rather quiet alarms (55dB).