Key Coding and Mods Audi A3 55 plate and A4 59 Plate

1inchwarrior

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum so go easy on me please.
The wife and I have the following cars and as the title states I'm looking at Key Coding and Mods for our Audi A3 55 plate and A4 59Plate.

I've been doing some research and at the moment Ill probably be investing in VCDS to do the mods but my question is more based around the key issue as I have inherited my wife's old A3 and she has had a newer A4.

The A3 only came with one key when we bought it back in 2011 which wasn't a big issue until our baby boy locked himself in the car with the key. One smashed window later I enquired with Audi to get a new key and was indeed put off by the price they charge...shocking!

So anyway, my OCD has taken over and I want to get a key sorted.

What is the best cable/software to use to be able to do this myself?

Can I buy a second hand 3 button flip remote from ebay and code it to my car or will the transponder need to be changed too as I've read that they can only be programmes once.

Someone mentioned VAG Tacho but looking at their website my car doesn't seem to be supported and so Im back to square one and hoping that someone with experience could help me out by giving me some top quality advice and save me a fortune by preventing me from buying the wrong cable/software in the first place.

Thanks in advance

Ben

With these cars forget everything about vag tacho and using SKC codes to make keys.
I can offer new keys for the a3 for approx 140. Not sure about the A4 would need more info before quoting.

You can use a second hand key yes, but still need a new transponder and tools to program it.

If you realy want to buy the correct cable type tool to do this yourself , abritus 72 is approx 10k to buy... there are some other tools out there but none that i know of under 2k...

My local auto locksmith has quoted me £35 for a non remote transponder key and £120 for a remote one. How is he going to do it because I can't imagine he would have shelled out that kind of money! Is there seriously that much demand for this thing?!

I would love a non-remote transponder key for £35 - let me know if you get one and it works. My A3 only came with one key too.