Can anyone tell me what this is in English

Vanessa

Reaction score
Audi have just sent me a quote to have this replaced.

The quote is 445 euros.

It is called a volet regulateur in French

Volet régulateur accouplé à la vanne EGR.
038128063G, 038128063L
038128063M, 038128063F

http://www.vagdiscount.com/images/038128063Lh.jpg

Can an anyone tell me what it's called in English.

Here is the link.

038128063L : Volet r�gulateur Golf 5 A3 1.9- 2.0 TDI BKC BXE BKD AZV - VAGDISCOUNT Pi�ces Volkswagen Audi Seat Skoda - VAGDISCOUNT Pi�ces Volkswagen Audi Seat Skoda

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
It's called a Throttle. It regulates the amount of air entering the engine

I have two at home if need one mate just done the delete on mine and have one from my old Bkd a3

That is the Anti Shudder Valve. It is located just under the EGR valve and its purpose is to help the engine shut off smoothly.
If it brakes the engine will shudder when shutting off.
Also, in case of turbo failure, when the oil enters the cylinders and the engine revs uncontrollable, it helps shutting it off by cutting the air supply.
So, you can do fine with it broken but if you need it and it won't work, you would regret not replacing it.

BTW, there is no throttle body on diesels.

Reactions: Boon, max69vk, RS3dan and 2 others
Thanks for the replies, I am thinking that maybe this is not the problem with the car and Audi have got it wrong, as it does not shudder on start up and only shudders at 50moh for 10 seconds then runs perfect, no matter how long I drive.

I was thinking that I may have the wrong maf housing as there is a gap between the maf and the housing, which I can only assume is pulling in unmonitored air, causing an incorrect reading thus not delivering the correct amount if fuel air ratio, if that make sense.

Here is a picture of the maf.Image

Also someone is saying there is no throttle body on a diesel it is 1.9tdi.

That's the same picture posted in another thread by a member????

Hi Yes that was me, but I discounted the maf as being the problem, so took the car to audi for a diagnostics, who came up with the throttle body solution,

I am going to try putting some gaffer tape over the hole which is letting in unmonitored air, then try the car, if this corrects the problem then I will take the tape off, as I don't want it sucking in the tape and I will order a new maf housing.

Do you think this is a good idea to try first.

That gap won't be helping situations!! I'd definitely seal it up and try it, if it then runs fine but a new One and replace.

That is the Anti Shudder Valve. It is located just under the EGR valve and its purpose is to help the engine shut off smoothly.
If it brakes the engine will shudder when shutting off.
Also, in case of turbo failure, when the oil enters the cylinders and the engine revs uncontrollable, it helps shutting it off by cutting the air supply.
So, you can do fine with it broken but if you need it and it won't work, you would regret not replacing it.

BTW, there is no throttle body on diesels.

Bang on. Diesels are throttled by fuelling not air.

The Anti-Shudder valve operates at engine shut off, not at 50mph. So I would think it's a different problem.

If the car has logged a fault for the Anti-Shudder Valve then it may also be faulty but not the cause of the above symptom.

Thank for all your advice. If I do need a new air filter box. Can anyone tell me where I can get one, I have looked on ebay and googled, lots out there but not for a a3 2009 1.9tdi cabriolet.

Hi Dan,

Thanks, I am going to seal the hole and if it works, I will get back to you with regard to the housing.

Once again thanks to everyone for there help.

It looks to me like that hole is on the airbox side of the MAF so it's not allowing unmetered air into the engine it would just be unfiltered air.
The modern diesel engine is a very complicated thing due to all the emissions controls on it and the throttle body does actually throttle incoming air it does also double up as an anti shudder valve.
To get the right amount of EGR gas into the engine sometimes the ECU will have to limit the amount of fresh incoming air so the throttle plate will close partially. If you look at the diagram on page 4 of this very interesting document you will see the throttle.

https://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2009/session1/deer09_czarnowski.pdf

If the ECU decides the EGR gas flow is to low then the throttle will close, When the throttle valve plays up this can cause all kinds of issues as the engine may be running with too much EGR and as EGR gas has a lot less oxygen in it the engine will not run very well.
Power is still goverened by how much fuel is injected,it's where the air comes from that is determined by the throttle body.

Karl.

^ wonder how mine runs then as my EGR is blocked off and mapped out :)

Never ever ever ever (you get the idea) seen a throttle body on a Diesel engine, and I've had a few

Surly when on boost it'll force more air past this *ahem* throttle body anyway? And really the amount of oxygen should be controlled by the turbo wastegate should it not?!

Reactions: SmithyAG
And surly more oxygen will only lower the emissions?

Diesels don't really run lean, as petrols can do, they can run rich however

Diesel burns slowly, hence the low maximum RPM compared to petrols that almost instantly explodes

Once the diesel has burnt it'll not matter if there is still some more oxygen it didn't use, only emissions and cooling will be better for it. Of course toooo much oxygen will increase compression then you have problems

Reactions: SmithyAG
The two posts above beat me to it!

Well said that man!

Reactions: Boon
And surly more oxygen will only lower the emissions?

Diesels don't really run lean, as petrols can do, they can run rich however

Diesel burns slowly, hence the low maximum RPM compared to petrols that almost instantly explodes

Once the diesel has burnt it'll not matter if there is still some more oxygen it didn't use, only emissions and cooling will be better for it. Of course toooo much oxygen will increase compression then you have problems

Don't know how much you know about diesels as they normally run very lean compared to petrol cars, especially turbo diesels, one of the reasons they do more mpg. A diesel will run upto 60 to 1 air fuel and still fire most petrol engines give up at 20 to1.
The reason why turbo diesel engines are so easily tuneable is because of the amount of excess air available you just have to put the extra fuel in for instant power.
And with Diesels if you go less than about 17 to 1 air fuel you start getting visible smoke by the time you get down to 14:1 you will have loads of smoke. Petrols run a lot of the time around 14-15:1 .

EndTuning - Air Fuel Ratios

If you have too much oxygen available and the temperature is hot enough nitrogen and oxygen combine to produce to produce oxides of nitrogen, to reduce this pollution you mix burnt exhaust gas in with the fresh air coming in, Because exhaust gas has less oxygen in it when it burns the temperature in the combustion chamber is lower and with less oxygen around you get less oxides of nitrogen.

So to recap more oxygen increases emissions, diesels do run lean compared to petrols, you can never have enough oxygen if you are looking for power, most diesels respond very well to larger turbos and more boost.

Karl.

^ wonder how mine runs then as my EGR is blocked off and mapped out :)

Never ever ever ever (you get the idea) seen a throttle body on a Diesel engine, and I've had a few

Surly when on boost it'll force more air past this *ahem* throttle body anyway? And really the amount of oxygen should be controlled by the turbo wastegate should it not?!

Mine runs fine with the EGR blocked and mapped out, unfortunately mine and yours would come nowhere near meeting the original emissions spec of the car as regards N0X and HC emissions, but the car runs better for it because it's not recycling it's own exhaust gas.
Most of the time EGR is added at part throttle, when flat out there is usually very little EGR gas recycled.

Karl.

All this emissions stuff is all well and good...

However none of it is controlled by a "throttle". It is controlled by fuelling.

And none of this helps the OP. Maybe a discussion for a different thread?

Reactions: Boon
Hi

So I taped up the gap and took it for a spin, it is still doing the same or maybe a bit lumper. I have also taken a photo of the housing and according to Audi it should have the part number as follows. 3C0127607BD

But if you look at the picture it is different.

Also if as you say above a diesel does not have a throttle body the what is a

Volet régulateur

On a diesel.

When the guy in audi showed me it , it was behind the turbo pipe, he said it was a type of shutter that opened and closed. He also said it was electronic.

I had a look and it does look like the part he showed me and said it was the problem, so I am now assuming audi are saying its the intake manifold flap. Or in French volet régulateur.

Someone also said the intermittent stuttering could be the wiring loom to the injectors. I have a new wiring loom already still in it box, so maybe I will get this changed, see how it runs, then if still the same get the manifold flap changed.

Use a VCDS and scan it for errors. If it is the intake manifold flap (AKA anti shudder valve or ASV), than it will throw an error. This way you can exclude it or not.
In the video above they've changed exactly this flap.

If you have a problem with the injectors, the shudder would feel when the engine is running. If you only feel it when you stop the engine, than the cause is this broken flap.

Hi Guys,

So as I had the wiring loom, I thought I would have it changed anyway, when the old,one came off the wires to it looked a bit shredded, anyway new one went on and car tested but still the same. So had the pipe taken off the manifold flap and started the engine, the flap did not move, took off the manifold flap and cleaned It all, still no joy, still not turning. So I am now going to have to buy a manifold flap and hopefully this will cure the problem. I will keep you updated.