loba fuel pump for my s3

Newtoys3

Reaction score
PHP:

Ebay item 111348520089
£578 ???? Good or bad
Hi, i am planning on going stage 2+ or stage 3 but am a little confused on which is the best high pressure fuel pump for reliability? Dont know if original one can handle the power but been told to upgrade to get max mid range power and not have the pump original pump fail 2 weeks later.

So what i have found and the cheapest is a
Loba motorsport pump which will do even higher power then what i am going to have, what you think guys?

Im sure a rs4 one fitted is cheaper :/ may be wrong but sure ive seen it on other stage2+/3 threads

Definitely buy the loba motorsport pump, very high quality. No surcharge either (apr has a surcharge). They also come with a new cam follower. I've recently ditched the autotech internals and fitted the loba pump, zero complaints.

Also tried to ring jkm performance about upgrade pump and whoever that lady is on the phone is not very good at serving customers on the phone, wouldnt ring them again. I asked can you fit the pump and il get it mapped from where i had my stage 1 map from shark performance and she wouldnt entertain the thought

Is £578 the correct price or is there cheaper?

Ebay item 111348520089
£578 ???? Good or bad
Hi, i am planning on going stage 2+ or stage 3 but am a little confused on which is the best high pressure fuel pump for reliability? Dont know if original one can handle the power but been told to upgrade to get max mid range power and not have the pump original pump fail 2 weeks later.

So what i have found and the cheapest is a
Loba motorsport pump which will do even higher power then what i am going to have, what you think guys?

The Loba pump is cheaper than the APR pump,and is easily as good,although the Autotech is the lowest cost option,but it does need to be built very carefully,in a clean environment.

On balance,I'd choose the Loba if I were buying again now.

The stock pump runs out of flow in the midrange at Stg2,and you lost midrange torque as a result,and Stg2+ software is specific for an uprated HPFP.

Stg3 is a big turbo conversion,and you would require this,and a lot more besides.

Im sure a rs4 one fitted is cheaper :/ may be wrong but sure ive seen it on other stage2+/3 threads

You can't use the RS4 HPFP on the S3.

I think you're maybe getting this confused with the RS4 fuel pressure relief valve,which is worth fitting to Stg2+ and above cars.

Reactions: Sprintblu3
The Loba pump is cheaper than the APR pump,and is easily as good,although the Autotech is the lowest cost option,but it does need to be built very carefully,in a clean environment.

On balance,I'd choose the Loba if I were buying again now.

The stock pump runs out of flow in the midrange at Stg2,and you lost midrange torque as a result,and Stg2+ software is specific for an uprated HPFP.

Stg3 is a big turbo conversion,and you would require this,and a lot more besides.

You can't use the RS4 HPFP on the S3.

I think you're maybe getting this confused with the RS4 fuel pressure relief valve,which is worth fitting to Stg2+ and above cars.

I think you may be right. My bad ignore me lol

Reactions: S3Alex
£578 is a good price, awesome GTI had them at this sort of price when i was looking the other month!

£578 is a good price, awesome GTI had them at this sort of price when i was looking the other month!

That's pretty much the same as quoted by Loba themselves.

Reactions: S3_Mat
Im at stage 1 currently and busy sourcing stage 2+ parts, i'm getting the pump before the downpipe as it has been proven with logs on fuel rail pressure that the stock pump does not meet requested pressure even at stage 1.

Marshy noticed you have stage 1 and Loba fitted do you notice the difference? Or are you just getting ready for Stage 2+?

I'm still currently stage 1 but now running 2+ mods.
Noticed a difference with the Loba pump fitted the car just seems to have more usable power. Especially 4k rpm upwards.
Going 2+ once funds recover and I fit a helix clutch to handle the extra power.
£579 from Samtech was the best price I ever found on the Loba pump.

I'm still currently stage 1 but now running 2+ mods.
Noticed a difference with the Loba pump fitted the car just seems to have more usable power. Especially 4k rpm upwards.
Going 2+ once funds recover and I fit a helix clutch to handle the extra power.
£579 from Samtech was the best price I ever found on the Loba pump.

Just out of curiosity....why Helix?

Most of theirs are paddle clutches,and from my own experience,paddle clutches aren't terribly traffic friendly.

If you're going above Stg2+,then something like my Spec Stg3+ clutch is ideal,and below that,the Sachs/DMF clutch will work very well,and it's not power,but torque that will kill clutches.

Newtoys - Speak to brodster for the loba pump for a better deal.

There is a guide to fitting the HPFP - from memory its not too hard( i have never done it) however its best to do an oil change after because of fuel contamination and also you need to make sure you precharge the pump with fuel before you start the car which is very important.

Newtoys - Speak to brodster for the loba pump for a better deal.

There is a guide to fitting the HPFP - from memory its not too hard( i have never done it) however its best to do an oil change after because of fuel contamination and also you need to make sure you precharge the pump with fuel before you start the car which is very important.

And while the pump is being changed,also make sure the cam follower is changed.

Also,Warren's guide is here....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...38827-changing-hpfp-cam-follower-s3-8p-2.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/138827-changing-hpfp-cam-follower-s3-8p.html

Guide by Warren, thanks very much.

I think the Loba pump comes with a new cam follower and after install it should be inspected every service but for the hassle of removing the pump and looking you may as well fit a new one they are not that dear and the damage that can occur if they get holed can be significant.

Holy identical post horror,Batman.

LOL...great minds,and Warren's great guides!

Great minds alex and all that!

Just out of curiosity....why Helix?

Most of theirs are paddle clutches,and from my own experience,paddle clutches aren't terribly traffic friendly.

If you're going above Stg2+,then something like my Spec Stg3+ clutch is ideal,and below that,the Sachs/DMF clutch will work very well,and it's not power,but torque that will kill clutches.

On previously tuned tfsi's I've run the Sachs kit with dmf and apart from the heavier pedal I found them very good.
I was going the same route with my S3 but there's a group buy on the helix kit for £460 and I already have a new dmf waiting to be fitted.
Would not be going past 2+ so hoped one of these clutches would do me fine.
Even running stage 1 with pump,intake and exhaust it's pretty quick already.
On my 1st K03 car I went Revo stage 2
My 2nd K04 car I went APR stage 2
My 3rd and current car Revo stage 2+ and I'll be happy.

Thanks guys for the help but i dont like touching expensive important bits like that il speak to surreyside autohaus and see what they charge to fit it in for me

Marshy Did you ever manage to log rail pressure before and after the HPFP at stage 1?

On previously tuned tfsi's I've run the Sachs kit with dmf and apart from the heavier pedal I found them very good.
I was going the same route with my S3 but there's a group buy on the helix kit for £460 and I already have a new dmf waiting to be fitted.
Would not be going past 2+ so hoped one of these clutches would do me fine.
Even running stage 1 with pump,intake and exhaust it's pretty quick already.
On my 1st K03 car I went Revo stage 2
My 2nd K04 car I went APR stage 2
My 3rd and current car Revo stage 2+ and I'll be happy.

Fair enough.

Just be careful on the torque rating,as they were quite cagey and conservative when I spoke to them a while ago,and it may be worth a call to find out what the rating is,before buying.

If you're looking at a DMF setup for a Helix clutch I would guess at the friction plate being a fibre one like the Sachs organic.....more user friendly,but also lower torque rating.

Reactions: Marshy
Marshy Did you ever manage to log rail pressure before and after the HPFP at stage 1?

Never ever got round to it.
I logged it before the pump and the requested and actual were pretty close within 5 which indicated all was ok.
But as I've said the pump made a difference, I needed a pump to go 2+ but noticed a difference at stage 1

Fair enough.

Just be careful on the torque rating,as they were quite cagey and conservative when I spoke to them a while ago,and it may be worth a call to find out what the rating is,before buying.

If you're looking at a DMF setup for a Helix clutch I would guess at the friction plate being a fibre one like the Sachs organic.....more user friendly,but also lower torque rating.

You being the man in the know if I'm keeping dmf setup would you go with Sachs or Helix?

You being the man in the know if I'm keeping dmf setup would you go with Sachs or Helix?

If you're keeping the DMF,then all I can say is I used a Sachs for around 3yrs prior to getting the Spec,and the Sachs coped with up to 440lbs before it gave up,which isn't bad for something rated "only" to 400lbs.

One warning....don't rag it for a good few hundred miles,and don't do drag-style starts.....that will kill it.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/138827-changing-hpfp-cam-follower-s3-8p.html

Guide by Warren, thanks very much.

I think the Loba pump comes with a new cam follower and after install it should be inspected every service but for the hassle of removing the pump and looking you may as well fit a new one they are not that dear and the damage that can occur if they get holed can be significant.

Thanks for the link good guide, some threads are saying "charge the pump" before starting how is that done, Imight give this a go looks straight forward enough.

Thanks for the link good guide, some threads are saying "charge the pump" before starting how is that done, Imight give this a go looks straight forward enough.

Have a really good look through Warren's thread first.

Giving this a go is all very well,and not beyond most mechanically minded people,but if you **** it up,it's properly expensive,and no offence intended if you're one of those who can do these things!

I leave it to a man who can,as I cant!

Just don't drop anything into the aperture's or light a fag and im sure you will be fine ;)

Lucky enough I'm a man who can, cheers for the warning.

I just have this vision of me dropping something into the engine....!

Hope you enjoy the results...it makes a big difference across the midrange.

Pump ordered i spoke to the seller and said i need a better deal and will let friends know if they need one aswell, got it for £565. Chuf chuf chuf.

Pump ordered i spoke to the seller and said i need a better deal and will let friends know if they need one aswell, got it for £565. Chuf chuf chuf.

Should have called us :)

If anyone wants one we can do them for £560 delivered for ASN members, just give us a call or drop me a PM.

Reactions: mechanic69, Forbzeeee and Dave-S3
Another revo stage 1 running the Loba pump here. Very good purchase. Thanks to Marshy for his recommendation.