2008 Petrol S3 with 80K on the clock - Reliable?

JJWin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing a 2008 2L Petrol S3. I wanted to ask experienced Audi owner's opinions on the 'reliability' of a 2008 S3 with 80K on the clock. I am a firm believe of if a car is looked after, then it will last. However when buying 2nd hand you never really know how it has been cared for..

I'm asking for things to look out for? Problems with a petrol motor with that amount of miles? And a general opinion on going down the older S3 route or going for a newer diesel (I have been offered a 2.0 tdi A3 S-line which is only 2 years old) I prefer the S3 for looks and of course that tasty performance.

Thanks in Advance.

well when i bought my A3 2.0tfsi quattro i enquired the same thing. and the main answer was long as its got a nice full service history then it should be well reliable in general, which its now nearly on 130k and fairly alright, takes a good beating lol

Reactions: Staz
fine out if the owner knows not the rag it while turbo cold etc, shud give you an idea if he/she knows how to look after it lol.

I went to view one and the guy ragged it to 90mph after i asked if he could put his foot down somewhere on a dualcarrigway, but just did it right there in a 30 zone while cold.

Lets just say i asked where the nearest maccies was and left.

Audis are generally bulletproof... As said previous, as long as its got a compehensive service history, should be ok.... But the general checks when purchasing any car 2nd is advised... I.e test drive!

Mines a 58/2009 S3 just about to hit 80k and I've had to replace a wheel bearing and rear springs. Nothing else other than general wear and tear items such as cambelt, brake pads etc. Clutch is slipping now though after being stage 1 for 10k miles.

The ad says "FULL SERVICE HISTORY' which gives me confidence. Are there signs whilst test driving which give any indication to any prone faults?

At 2008 & 80K make sure the cam belt has been done (ideally last year), also it should have had two haldex (quattro) services done, first at 40k, second at 80k, or it will be due. Full service history by a reputable indy or Audi would be good, i probably wouldn't let any old joe service an S3 as it is a "performance" hot hatch.

Not sure about the clutch, I've heard they're ok for stock power but after a while at stage 1 they start to slip, at 80k if its on the original clutch its potentially due, no idea how it should feel though as i drive the DSG. Audi clutches are light though.

Reactions: JJWin
Mine has done over 60 000 miles now(from new at '08),and most of that mileage on at least 360bhp,or a lot more.

The car is generally very reliable if serviced regularly and looked after well,and as everyone has said,you need a full service history,with items like the cam belt,Haldex and other service items done on time.

Things to look for are exhaust smoke when hot and idling,which may indicate worn turbo oil seals,gearbox snychros can wear,and may cause difficulty selecting gears,and whining from the 'box may be worn bearings.

Other than that,they're solid cars,with the exception of the clutch on manual cars,which is just about good enough for stock torque,and may well give up if the car has been mapped.
There are plenty of far more capable replacements,but all weigh in at around £1k.