Badger5Monster Motorsport
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 92
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Preventing carbon build up [2.0 TFSI]

  1. #41
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevv View Post
    you best bet is buying a non TFSI TDI engine as the injectors spray directly on the piston make it efficient when new and worse then the 1.8T after 10k miles.. the only way i think to minimize it is buy getting a manifold like alex priming the injector to soak the valves every so often which would keep it clean a catch can will help but not cure it as in Alex's case.. the old 1.8T didn't have this problem as the injectors sprayed directly onto the valves top down approach unlike the TFSI etc..

    what also would be interesting is alongside the fuel rail on Alex's manifold if he got port injection; wonder how that would work on the carbon build although methanol is being sprayed in miniscule portions
    It won't be meth going through the rail on mine.

    We know from some other guys running WMI and my own results,that pre-TB injection doesn't make any difference from WMI.

    There's also no evidence that port injection for WMI makes any difference either as the volumes are pretty small overall,and nowhere near the amount of petrol injected in the same time,and it's not running constantly.

    Also,to run that sort of system,you need a manifold like the HEP or Boulekos,plus a controller for not only the fuel rail,but also a sequential WMI system.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cheshire/N Staffs
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Few things anyone wanting more power is going to hate....


    3mm block thickness

    Integrated exhaust manifold,with water cooling.
    I can confirm my 2.0 TFSI EA888 has the additional 4 port injectors.

    Love the integrated exhaust manifold, makes for a very quick warm up time, and they have replaced the traditional wax thermostat with 2 rotary slide valves to tightly manage all the cooling within the engine - much tighter limits now.

    As for power gains, Audi have already produced a 420PS version of this engine

    But yes, for the enthusiast, the additional power route will be limited

    The carbon build up issue is one of the reasons I jumped from the 8P to the 8V.
    S3Alex likes this.

    S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG



  4. #43
    Pushing the limits..

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,316

    My Social Networking

    Add Sevv on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    I can confirm my 2.0 TFSI EA888 has the additional 4 port injectors.

    Love the integrated exhaust manifold, makes for a very quick warm up time, and they have replaced the traditional wax thermostat with 2 rotary slide valves to tightly manage all the cooling within the engine - much tighter limits now.

    As for power gains, Audi have already produced a 420PS version of this engine

    But yes, for the enthusiast, the additional power route will be limited

    The carbon build up issue is one of the reasons I jumped from the 8P to the 8V.

    its all the same shi*t really;

    @ Alex: i knew that mate; and it isnt cost effective unless you're running big power like yourself as doing a carbon clean yearly will suffice but at a higher cost for the avg. audi owner which really sucks as for the WMI yeah im also aware of it :D
    S3Alex likes this.

  5. #44
    stetheo's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    328
    I am going to have this done to mine at Awesome GTI, they offered a very reasonable price for it and as it hasn't been done before thought may as well give the inlet a clean.

    Unfortunately it is pretty much an unavoidable thing on FSI engines and i know the 4.2FSI in the RS4 suffers really badly. I just see it as part of the maintenance of the car as it's relatively inexpensive to get done.
    Current:
    8P2 S3 Phantom Black | Sunroof, RNS-E, AMI, FBMFSW, Bluetooth, Auto lights & wipers, CHL, LED Interior light pack, Black Styling pack, Miltek Catback, MY11 rear lights and remapped by Unicorn Motor Developments

    Previous:
    8P2 A3 2.0 TDI 170 S Line Quattro Grey | Remapped
    8L A3 1.9 Tdi 100 Sport Black | Remapped to 130

  6. #45
    s3_trev's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    623
    Have any of you heard of a company called Terraclean?

    Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

  7. #46
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cheshire/N Staffs
    Posts
    1,324
    Only from watching Wheeler Dealers!

    AFAIK it still connects to the fuel rail, so it will only clean parts that the normal fuel system reaches.

    I reckon Mr.Muscle Oven Cleaner squirted into the inlet ports should do the same job...... who want to try

    S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG



  8. #47
    stetheo's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_trev View Post
    Have any of you heard of a company called Terraclean?
    A lot of people over on rs246 have mentioned this. Seems to get mixed reviews some say there are notable benefits others say it is a waste of money.

    That is on the RS4 mind.
    Current:
    8P2 S3 Phantom Black | Sunroof, RNS-E, AMI, FBMFSW, Bluetooth, Auto lights & wipers, CHL, LED Interior light pack, Black Styling pack, Miltek Catback, MY11 rear lights and remapped by Unicorn Motor Developments

    Previous:
    8P2 A3 2.0 TDI 170 S Line Quattro Grey | Remapped
    8L A3 1.9 Tdi 100 Sport Black | Remapped to 130

  9. #48
    davc's Avatar
    Foursprung Duck Technik

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Caledonia
    Posts
    217
    It's a waste of time on DI engines.
    MY'09 S3 Sportback |Gloss Black Mirrors |Buckets |Black Optiks |Open Sky |Light & Rain Sensor Pack |CH/LH Lights |RNS-E & No Highs No Lows it must be Bose |

  10. #49
    s3_trev's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by davc View Post
    It's a waste of time on DI engines.
    Yeah thats what most people seem to be saying on other forums.

    Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

  11. #50
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by davc View Post
    It's a waste of time on DI engines.
    Absolutely.

    If it goes through the injectors,it's wasted.

  12. #51
    Madpete's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    30
    Hey Alex, you've had this done a couple of times... Do yo mind if I ask you want it costs? I've been considering having this done, I'm in the North West towards Chester. Cheers, Pete.

  13. #52
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Madpete View Post
    Hey Alex, you've had this done a couple of times... Do yo mind if I ask you want it costs? I've been considering having this done, I'm in the North West towards Chester. Cheers, Pete.
    Hi Pete,

    I'd have to have a run through the bills,as both times it's been done during a lot of other work.

    If I remember,the sort of price you're looking at is a few hundred pounds,but I will have a look later.

  14. #53
    Pushing the limits..

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,316

    My Social Networking

    Add Sevv on Facebook
    I'm Glad people are heading Alex and my selfs' advice finally; its a problem and every owner should have it done.. once its gets really bad the injectors on start up will have to over fuel and you'll also have a hard time starting the car up when cold..
    S3Alex likes this.

  15. #54
    crazylegscrane's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    156
    I was amazed when I saw the pictures of Alex's valves and the state they were in. I heard plenty about RS4's suffering but never anything for S3's

    Mine has over 70k on the clock now and it's never been cleaned so it will be getting booked in for a clean up soon.
    S3Alex likes this.
    S3 Sept 08 to.....
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport April 04 - May 08

  16. #55
    stetheo's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Madpete View Post
    Hey Alex, you've had this done a couple of times... Do yo mind if I ask you want it costs? I've been considering having this done, I'm in the North West towards Chester. Cheers, Pete.
    I am also based in the north west and have very recently asked about this at Awesome GTI up near Manchester and they charge £175 for the carbon clean.
    Madpete likes this.
    Current:
    8P2 S3 Phantom Black | Sunroof, RNS-E, AMI, FBMFSW, Bluetooth, Auto lights & wipers, CHL, LED Interior light pack, Black Styling pack, Miltek Catback, MY11 rear lights and remapped by Unicorn Motor Developments

    Previous:
    8P2 A3 2.0 TDI 170 S Line Quattro Grey | Remapped
    8L A3 1.9 Tdi 100 Sport Black | Remapped to 130

  17. #56
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylegscrane View Post
    I was amazed when I saw the pictures of Alex's valves and the state they were in. I heard plenty about RS4's suffering but never anything for S3's

    Mine has over 70k on the clock now and it's never been cleaned so it will be getting booked in for a clean up soon.
    It's just another aspect of the same engine design to be fair,and also,mine runs a lot more boost etc,so that will no doubt add to blow-by and oil misting I would have thought.

  18. #57
    Madpete's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    30
    Thanks for the reply mate, I didn't mean for you to dig bills out. A rough ball park figure is all I was after, which is what you've given me. Thanks Alex!

    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Hi Pete,

    I'd have to have a run through the bills,as both times it's been done during a lot of other work.

    If I remember,the sort of price you're looking at is a few hundred pounds,but I will have a look later.
    S3Alex likes this.

  19. #58
    Madpete's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    30
    I never thought to ask Awesome, that seems a fair price too. I'll give them a ring. Thanks, stetheo.

    Quote Originally Posted by stetheo View Post
    I am also based in the north west and have very recently asked about this at Awesome GTI up near Manchester and they charge £175 for the carbon clean.

  20. #59
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Madpete View Post
    Thanks for the reply mate, I didn't mean for you to dig bills out. A rough ball park figure is all I was after, which is what you've given me. Thanks Alex!
    To be fair it may be less than my ball-park figure based on time.

    I think for anyone based in the South East,it's best just to give AMD a call.

  21. #60
    stetheo's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Madpete View Post
    I never thought to ask Awesome, that seems a fair price too. I'll give them a ring. Thanks, stetheo.
    Yeah I thought as they're a VAG specialist I'd ask. They mentioned they've had more and more people wanting it done. Getting mine done with a service as it seems a reasonable price. Deffo worth giving them a shout.
    Current:
    8P2 S3 Phantom Black | Sunroof, RNS-E, AMI, FBMFSW, Bluetooth, Auto lights & wipers, CHL, LED Interior light pack, Black Styling pack, Miltek Catback, MY11 rear lights and remapped by Unicorn Motor Developments

    Previous:
    8P2 A3 2.0 TDI 170 S Line Quattro Grey | Remapped
    8L A3 1.9 Tdi 100 Sport Black | Remapped to 130

  22. #61
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6
    Just the dpf to contend with instead then!

  23. #62
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    7
    Had my intake valves cleaned today. Don't have pics but apparently they were in a filthy condition(cars done 86k miles). Initially starting the car I noticed idle was much smoother and had less of the diesel like sound these engines tend to have. Car has gained some lowend torque, pulling away is much smoother from a stand still. It feels like the engine responds a little better and as the car had warmed up and I took off on to the motorway it really pulled like never before. I would guess somewhere around 20bhp was regained.. Overall I'm very happy with this service and the price wasn't too bad at all
    S3Alex and s3_trev like this.
    Audi S3 09': APR Stage 2+, VWR intake, APR HPFP, Milltek turbo-back, Sachs SRE clutch, Magnetic ride H&R -25mm, BBS LM custom built wheels, rear de-badge, black optics & black rings, lamin-x, interior led's

  24. #63
    s3_trev's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    623
    Thanks for sharing luckbox. I am certain I want this done now. Currently in the process of finding someone local that does it.
    S3Alex likes this.

    Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

  25. #64
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_trev View Post
    Thanks for sharing luckbox. I am certain I want this done now. Currently in the process of finding someone local that does it.
    Where are you roughly?

    If anywhere near the southeast,I'd recommend AMDTuning.

  26. #65
    s3_trev's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Where are you roughly?

    If anywhere near the southeast,I'd recommend AMDTuning.
    I live in N.Ireland Alex. County L'Derry. The black sheep of the UK when it comes to things like this unfortunately.

    Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

  27. #66
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_trev View Post
    I live in N.Ireland Alex. County L'Derry. The black sheep of the UK when it comes to things like this unfortunately.
    Lovely place to live,but as you say,difficult to find the right tuner.

    Wish I could help!

  28. #67
    Tom5190's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    177
    Hmm, its an annoying thing to have to get done for me, I do everything my self normally but I certainly don't have the gear to clean carbon build ups if the head is still on. Luckily mines only around the 25,000 miles mark atm but I'll look at getting it done when it hits 40,000.

    Has anybody used any North East companies for it?

  29. #68
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by fangio View Post
    How the hell does an inlet side of a petrol engine coke up?
    It must be connected directly to the exhaust plpe!
    It is - that's what the EGR valve does.

  30. #69
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_trev View Post
    I live in N.Ireland Alex. County L'Derry. The black sheep of the UK when it comes to things like this unfortunately.
    Don't tell anyone about Benone Strand - or the cafe in Austin's. They'll all want one :-)

  31. #70
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    It is - that's what the EGR valve does.
    There's also the numerous breathers running into the inlet which are mostly responsible for the oil vapour that cokes up the inelt.

  32. #71
    s3facelift09's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    124
    Yesterday I've cleaned the carbon build up in the intake manifold locally at a garage with a mechanic that works at the Audi Dealership who is a friend of mine. It's been done on MY09 S3 with 59k on the clock. It's been cleaned for the first time ever. I was surprised at how much gunk was out there. I am pleased with the results even do it wasn't wallnut blasted, but was done manually with sprays for cleaning throotle body of carbon build up. I had to buy an inlet manifold gasket and a valve repair set containig some small rubber gaskets that were damaged (they were teared) during dissasembling of the intake manifold.

    Part number of the intake manifold gasket is:06F 129 717 D (quantity: x1)
    Part number of Valve repair set is: 06D 998 907 A (quantity: x4)

    Here are some before and after images:
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

    One odd thing that's happened after assmebly. I took the car for a spin and I heard an amazingly loud whistle sound every once and a while. I returned to my mechanic and he found out that my PCV valve had malfunctioned. This should not be related to the cleaning of the intake manifold, it should be just a coincidence. During assembly we talked about this very same PCV valve and he said to me that there is a newer uprated factory version of this valve, and it looks like I would need to buy it now..

    P.S. Today I noticed that the revs in neutral started to raise from 850/900 to 1400 rpms by itself. I called the mechanic and he explained that it's all because of the malfunctioned PCV valve, and that the new one will sort out the problem. I did not notice any other problem, the car runs great, it seems faster, more responsive, I'll know more when we change the annoying PCV valve.
    Last edited by s3facelift09; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:55.
    S3Alex, Artimus and s3_trev like this.

  33. #72
    s3_trev's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    623
    Thanks for posting that. I am interested in this new uprated PCV valve you speak of, do you know anything more about it?

    Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

  34. #73
    s3facelift09's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    124
    He didn't have a lot of time, it was 5pm saturday afternoon, and he was on it from 10am. But generally from what I know, I guess that they had a lot of warranty claims or reports of malfunctioned PCV valves during years. So they've made some improvment to it. And every part that has been improved has an additional letter at the end of the part number, that the first original part number didn't have. But the numbers before the letter are the same. For etc. 06D 998 907, new part: 06D 998 907 A. I will post something new when we install the new valve on. I'll ask if he knows what did they do to it, and what is the difference? Why is it better..
    s3_trev likes this.

  35. #74
    pluves1's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom5190 View Post
    Hmm, its an annoying thing to have to get done for me, I do everything my self normally but I certainly don't have the gear to clean carbon build ups if the head is still on. Luckily mines only around the 25,000 miles mark atm but I'll look at getting it done when it hits 40,000.

    Has anybody used any North East companies for it?
    Low mileage isn't really going to help I don't think. I would bet money that yours has already had carbon build up. Ours was first done at 20,000 miles and it took our local dealer 6 weeks to get to the root of the problem. The technician couldn't quite believe the carbon build up when he took the head off!

    S3 issue when accelerating hard at high speed

    I'm going to pay a visit to my local BMW dealer to see if they have the decoke facilities.
    Now

    MY10 BMW 335d Touring (Sapphire Black)


    MY10 S3 Sportback (Sprint Blue)



    Previously
    06 BMW 330d M Sport Touring Le Mans Blue with Black leather, Phone Prep

  36. #75
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by s3facelift09 View Post
    Yesterday I've cleaned the carbon build up in the intake manifold locally at a garage with a mechanic that works at the Audi Dealership who is a friend of mine. It's been done on MY09 S3 with 59k on the clock. It's been cleaned for the first time ever. I was surprised at how much gunk was out there. I am pleased with the results even do it wasn't wallnut blasted, but was done manually with sprays for cleaning throotle body of carbon build up. I had to buy an inlet manifold gasket and a valve repair set containig some small rubber gaskets that were damaged (they were teared) during dissasembling of the intake manifold.

    Part number of the intake manifold gasket is:06F 129 717 D (quantity: x1)
    Part number of Valve repair set is: 06D 998 907 A (quantity: x4)

    Here are some before and after images:
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

    One odd thing that's happened after assmebly. I took the car for a spin and I heard an amazingly loud whistle sound every once and a while. I returned to my mechanic and he found out that my PCV valve had malfunctioned. This should not be related to the cleaning of the intake manifold, it should be just a coincidence. During assembly we talked about this very same PCV valve and he said to me that there is a newer uprated factory version of this valve, and it looks like I would need to buy it now..

    P.S. Today I noticed that the revs in neutral started to raise from 850/900 to 1400 rpms by itself. I called the mechanic and he explained that it's all because of the malfunctioned PCV valve, and that the new one will sort out the problem. I did not notice any other problem, the car runs great, it seems faster, more responsive, I'll know more when we change the annoying PCV valve.
    Thats a seriously good result from doing the job manually.


    For me,the interesting part will come in a few weeks,when it's taken to bits again to fit a new valvetrain and we'll see how much crap has accumulated in a couple of months.

    This was mine,done the other way......




    And if anything,the before pic looks even worse that yours,and mine already has a Forge catch can etc.


  37. #76
    Tom5190's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by pluves1 View Post
    Low mileage isn't really going to help I don't think. I would bet money that yours has already had carbon build up. Ours was first done at 20,000 miles and it took our local dealer 6 weeks to get to the root of the problem. The technician couldn't quite believe the carbon build up when he took the head off!

    S3 issue when accelerating hard at high speed

    I'm going to pay a visit to my local BMW dealer to see if they have the decoke facilities.
    Yea I'm expecting it to have a fair bit of build up now but I guess its just something we have to live with. Short of having it de-coked every 10K (which is at least twice a year for me) I'm not sure there's anything you can do. I'm going to blank the PCV & fit a catch tank but I've seen some posts from S3Alex above that even with this his still had a fair amount of build up.

  38. #77
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom5190 View Post
    Yea I'm expecting it to have a fair bit of build up now but I guess its just something we have to live with. Short of having it de-coked every 10K (which is at least twice a year for me) I'm not sure there's anything you can do. I'm going to blank the PCV & fit a catch tank but I've seen some posts from S3Alex above that even with this his still had a fair amount of build up.
    Don't forge that there are breathers that exit into the turbo inlet,from the cam cover,so no system that doesn't remove all of the breathers from recirculating,is going to solve this.

  39. #78
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    47

    My Social Networking

    Add cnahamilton on Facebook
    Right well im hazzarding a guess that mine will defo need doing as mine just just clocked 120k. S3Alex - this walnut blasting is it something i could do or will it cost more in gear than get a garage to do it?? i am very competent with engines/cars as i build classic fast road and race engines for minis and midgets

  40. #79
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    135
    i think the kit costs near enough £800! will be worth it if you buy the kit and offer a service, something im thinking of doing...

  41. #80
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    47

    My Social Networking

    Add cnahamilton on Facebook
    Yeah wouldnt be a bad idea. Not sure if i would get enough in my area of the country. middle of the suffolk farmlands lol. Does amd offer the service??

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a Carbon Build Up Fix as yet?
    By _G_ in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th April 2012, 20:51
  2. Turbo Carbon Build Up? + Doors Not Catching?
    By Gavin G in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5th July 2011, 06:00
  3. carbon build up on RS4 FSI
    By JAJ in forum RS4 Forum (B5 and B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th June 2011, 11:55
  4. carbon build up on RS4 FSI
    By JAJ in forum RS4 Forum (B5 and B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30th May 2011, 20:41
  5. Carbon Build Up On ALL VAG FSI Engines??
    By FingerS o FuDgE in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th September 2010, 19:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO