Best Bike Rack For Audi A3.....

MJR

Reaction score
Hi guys, i want to take mine and the wife's bikes on a little trip to do some trail biking, i bought a bike rack for the car from Argos but I'm not happy with it, i have to remove both front wheels to be legal so they don't cover the car lights, this is easy for mine as its got quick release wheels but the wife's is an old school tool job, really annoying, i don't really want to have to remove any wheels, but that aside the whole thing just feels unsafe to me, i don't like that the rack sits on the back window, and it doesn't feel secure enough even with all the pull tight supports, the wife says I'm over reacting a bit and she maybe right but i just don't want to risk seeing the bikes in my rear view mirror smashing on the motorway behind me, i only paid £55 for this current rack but I'm looking for the best and easiest rack for the job, anyone had an issue like this with any advice to offer please....

I think towbar is a great way to carry bikes but fairly high costs to pay out initially

I bought roof bars for this very reason - my trusty bike rack just didn't seem right and I managed to scratch the paint putting my bike on it. I have yet to get the bike attachment, but bikes are going on the roof!

I didn't realise for some time that bars are available for the 3 doors BTW.

Roof bars for me. I didn't like the way the rear bike rack rubbed on the paint work, so changed out for a roof rack and cycle carriers. A bit more expensive, but a better idea I think.

I have roof bars for my 3 door. Easy to get the bikes on and off and can also lock them incase you want to leave them on there overnight. Did 1000mile driving last year on a trip around Scotland and you couldn't even tell they were there.

Thule roof racks, with thule proride 591 bike racks mate, by far the safest and cheapest way to carry bikes on an A3, especially an S-line where the rear bumper diffuser means having a new diffuser from audi with a hole cut for a detachable system + a thule rack done properly your looking at £800+ The Thule roof racks including the bike racks can be had for £300 if you shop around. Try Genuine Ford | Mazda Parts & Accessories | Sandicliffe Shop for the bike racks and Thule Roof Bars | Roof Racks for the thule roof bars :) Hope that helps.

Theres about £5K+ of bikes being carried here, no issues at all on the roof!
644142_10152148243155711_1890640422_n.jpg

Reactions: discostu49
I also went for roof mount. Went for Thule roof bars and Halfrauds own bike carriers. All in was about £250. Having the bikes on the roof does bring down your mpg on a long journey though.

With my old 2.0 170 Tdi and my current S3, the mpg drop is about 10%.. not massive in the grand scheme of things, if you drive a little slower than normal, you'll make it up!

I've used most types over the years, including roof (rail and gutter) which are OK. I tried a tailgate one once but it kept loosening off and I had zero confidence in it.

For over 10 years now I've stuck with towbar mount, solid and easy to fit, don't really affect handling, fuel consumption or speed!

I got a Thule 2 bike rack from Amazon for £100, cost of the towbar is the only real downside.

Reactions: MJR
Stevieb2905 - I can see why you didn't like the roof option :)

Reactions: Moffat, Dave-S3 and SteveMcB
Thanks for all the replies guys, i think im going to go for the towbar option, expensive but probably the best option for me!

Reactions: Darren Harris
Got Audi Bike Racks for our S3. Easy to fit onto the roof bars on both the Audi and BMW and lockable. Also easy to lift the bikes onto as well.

A while ago I was also looking for the best bike rack for an Audi A3 and came across a very useful site called Best Car Bike Rack, I ended up buying a Thule Gateway a bit overpriced but a good bit of kit. I have linked to the relevant page above :blackrs4:

The best bike rack for any car is the one that is always remembered when going into parking garages :suspicion:

A while ago I was also looking for the best bike rack for an Audi A3 and came across a very useful site called Best Car Bike Rack, I ended up buying a Thule Gateway a bit overpriced but a good bit of kit. I have linked to the relevant page above :blackrs4:

Hmm, not sure I trust that site. It lists a tow bar mounted carrier for an S3. You can’t fit a tow bar to an S3...

No, I can't... :) The exhaust prevents the fitting of one, really. Believe me I'd have had one fitted by now if I could.

https://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towbars-by-reg/6848/20180325

And if I put my reg into the app I get exactly the same results. To be fair that's for an 8V, the 8L and 8P versions of the S3 might be able to have a towbar, as they have a single sided exhaust outlet IIRC. So, we're both right (and as this is the 8P thread I was less right than you :) )

On another note, I'm not convinced by the tailgate carriers - they all look like the top straps will be bearing down on the lip spoiler, and potentially bending it, which I'd not like. So, much as I dislike them (windage, possibility of forgetting them) I've gone with roof mounted ones from Thule.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darren Harris
No, I can't... :) The exhaust prevents the fitting of one, really. Believe me I'd have had one fitted by now if I could.

https://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towbars-by-reg/6848/20180325

And if I put my reg into the app I get exactly the same results. To be fair that's for an 8V, the 8L and 8P versions of the S3 might be able to have a towbar, as they have a single sided exhaust outlet IIRC. So, we're both right (and as this is the 8P thread I was less right than you :) )

On another note, I'm not convinced by the tailgate carriers - they all look like the top straps will be bearing down on the lip spoiler, and potentially bending it, which I'd not like. So, much as I dislike them (windage, possibility of forgetting them) I've gone with roof mounted ones from Thule.

Hi,

No problem we are both correct then !! I'll settle for that lol
clear.png
clear.png
:sunglasses: I was just trying to help by sharing a resource that really did help me !! I was lost not knowing which was the best bike rack for my particular car (A3) until I found this little website and another called RackAttack if I remember correctly.

:redrs4: