Chris NottVolks Autos
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Sayam
  • 2 Post By DriverN00B
  • 2 Post By Ads
  • 1 Post By DriverN00B
  • 3 Post By grantposs
  • 1 Post By RPB

Thread: I am now one of you...need some advice on warranty

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22

    My Social Networking

    Follow grantposs On Twitter

    Cool I am now one of you...need some advice on warranty

    After months of searching and saving i have finally bought myself an Audi A3 :D

    Car 1.jpgcar 2.jpg

    Very happy, got it just over 6k with a mileage of 57,000 (its a 2.0L TDI) i got from a friend of a friend.

    Theres no warranty on it at the moment, and i'm thinking of getting one... was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction..... reason being is that the car hasn't had its turbo replaced yet... and i hear it does go at least once after around 60,000 - 80,000 miles... am i right?

    I also want to get it remapped in the near future which will also put extra pressure on the turbo, but if i get it mapped will it still be covered under warranty??

    What would you do in my situation?

    I also have a good relationship with the people at my local garage so could i fake the death of my turbo whilst under warranty?... anyone else tried this?

    Cheers

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by grantposs View Post
    After months of searching and saving i have finally bought myself an Audi A3 :D

    Car 1.jpgcar 2.jpg

    Very happy, got it just over 6k with a mileage of 57,000 (its a 2.0L TDI) i got from a friend of a friend.

    Theres no warranty on it at the moment, and i'm thinking of getting one... was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction..... reason being is that the car hasn't had its turbo replaced yet... and i hear it does go at least once after around 60,000 - 80,000 miles... am i right?

    I also want to get it remapped in the near future which will also put extra pressure on the turbo, but if i get it mapped will it still be covered under warranty??

    What would you do in my situation?

    I also have a good relationship with the people at my local garage so could i fake the death of my turbo whilst under warranty?... anyone else tried this?

    Cheers

    rather than paying for warranty on the off chance it may go pop i'd just stick anything upto £800 in an ISA and leave it there as turbo fund.
    Ghost and grantposs like this.

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by grantposs View Post
    After months of searching and saving i have finally bought myself an Audi A3 :D

    Car 1.jpgcar 2.jpg

    Very happy, got it just over 6k with a mileage of 57,000 (its a 2.0L TDI) i got from a friend of a friend.

    Theres no warranty on it at the moment, and i'm thinking of getting one... was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction..... reason being is that the car hasn't had its turbo replaced yet... and i hear it does go at least once after around 60,000 - 80,000 miles... am i right?

    I also want to get it remapped in the near future which will also put extra pressure on the turbo, but if i get it mapped will it still be covered under warranty??

    What would you do in my situation?

    I also have a good relationship with the people at my local garage so could i fake the death of my turbo whilst under warranty?... anyone else tried this?

    Cheers
    Warranty companies are notorious for trying to wriggle out of paying! I personally wouldn't bother unless your turbos show signs of failing?

    My a3's on 118k and turbos still going good, had the car a year and driven it hard for most of that year.

    Better of putting money aside every month as a sort of car fund.
    RS3dan and grantposs like this.

  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22

    My Social Networking

    Follow grantposs On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverN00B View Post
    Warranty companies are notorious for trying to wriggle out of paying! I personally wouldn't bother unless your turbos show signs of failing?

    My a3's on 118k and turbos still going good, had the car a year and driven it hard for most of that year.

    Better of putting money aside every month as a sort of car fund.
    Yeah, so far this seems like the popular option... Have you had yours mapped? i hear remapping will put more of a strain on the turbo.

    Anything else i need to keep an eye out for... cambelt etc (cambelt has been changed already)

  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Wardley, Gateshead
    Posts
    6
    Why should the turbo go after 60-80k miles? If you warm the car up correctly and allow it to cool down correctly after turbo abuse, then it should last a lot longer than that. I know one member on here has an A4 with 300k miles on original turbo although it is approaching a need for a change now. My A3 has 118K on original turbo and still pulls hard. HTH.

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by grantposs View Post
    Yeah, so far this seems like the popular option... Have you had yours mapped? i hear remapping will put more of a strain on the turbo.

    Anything else i need to keep an eye out for... cambelt etc (cambelt has been changed already)
    Not had it mapped yet, intend on doing so though soon but looking to get a stage 2 with a hybrid turbo!

    It may well put more strain on it but even then a stage 1 remap isn't known to cause the turbo to fail, it may well contribute to it having a somewhat shorter life but this hasn't really been proven either with the general consensus being you'll be fine unless the turbo is already on its way out.

    Just stay on top of all the servicing requirements really mate, is yours a manual or DSG? Keep an eye on all your fluids, coolant etc as some heads on these are prone to cracking.

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22

    My Social Networking

    Follow grantposs On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby_tony View Post
    Why should the turbo go after 60-80k miles? If you warm the car up correctly and allow it to cool down correctly after turbo abuse, then it should last a lot longer than that. I know one member on here has an A4 with 300k miles on original turbo although it is approaching a need for a change now. My A3 has 118K on original turbo and still pulls hard. HTH.
    Thats great news for me! ive just read on a few other posts and from some other people i know with a3s that the turbo can pack in at some point

  9. #8
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22

    My Social Networking

    Follow grantposs On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverN00B View Post
    Not had it mapped yet, intend on doing so though soon but looking to get a stage 2 with a hybrid turbo!

    It may well put more strain on it but even then a stage 1 remap isn't known to cause the turbo to fail, it may well contribute to it having a somewhat shorter life but this hasn't really been proven either with the general consensus being you'll be fine unless the turbo is already on its way out.

    Just stay on top of all the servicing requirements really mate, is yours a manual or DSG? Keep an eye on all your fluids, coolant etc as some heads on these are prone to cracking.
    Its a Manual. im still a bit of a noob when it comes to cars.... if the turbo was to pack in, am i correct in thinking the car will still run ok... it just wont have turbo?

    and if i had to replace it i could replace it with a different and potentially better turbo? (not the standard audi one it was made with)

  10. #9
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by grantposs View Post
    I also have a good relationship with the people at my local garage so could i fake the death of my turbo whilst under warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by grantposs View Post
    What would you do in my situation?
    Not that.

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by grantposs View Post
    Its a Manual. im still a bit of a noob when it comes to cars.... if the turbo was to pack in, am i correct in thinking the car will still run ok... it just wont have turbo?

    and if i had to replace it i could replace it with a different and potentially better turbo? (not the standard audi one it was made with)
    Well as the turbo began to fail, the car would go into limp and you'd get faults advising you of a possible failing turbo when scanned. Also blue smoke (oil being burnt), a rather loud whistle are some other symptoms but not the complete list.

    You can replace the turbo with a bigger and more powerful turbo but this would only be worthwhile if you were looking for performance increases.

    Also defo not a good idea faking the death, the warranty company would look to independently verify before replacing.
    grantposs likes this.

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22

    My Social Networking

    Follow grantposs On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverN00B View Post
    Well as the turbo began to fail, the car would go into limp and you'd get faults advising you of a possible failing turbo when scanned. Also blue smoke (oil being burnt), a rather loud whistle are some other symptoms but not the complete list.

    You can replace the turbo with a bigger and more powerful turbo but this would only be worthwhile if you were looking for performance increases.

    Also defo not a good idea faking the death, the warranty company would look to independently verify before replacing.
    Ok ill avoid faking the death... knew that was a pretty dumb idea. thanks for the heads up!
    kanecullen89, Ads and DriverN00B like this.

  13. #12
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    329
    i must say having come from jap diesels with this being my first german diesel that the german engines do pop turbos much much much more commonly than the japs. having said that the jap engines only seem to deliver power between 2 and 3k RPM whereas the german engines seem to pull much further into higher revvs, not sure if this places extra strain on the turbo or not.

    i think the best way to sum up is that i do worry about my turbo, but never did in my corolla.

  14. #13
    RPB
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Notts.
    Posts
    318
    This is getting too much like the Subaru forum! These engines are not made from chocolate. Treat them properly and they will last.
    RS3dan likes this.
    2011 61 plate S3 SB BE DSG - Shark Stage 1 + DSG

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Been a Complete IDIOT now desperately need some advice...??!!
    By Dan TheMan Welburn in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 22nd January 2013, 18:06
  2. Got A Problem, Need some advice!
    By HmanS3 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th April 2007, 13:28
  3. Need some advice please peeps. :(
    By Herby1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22nd November 2006, 22:34
  4. Ready to purchase a 1998 A6. Need some advice!
    By imported_EndangeredBeatz in forum A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27th February 2005, 22:03
  5. really need some advice
    By lahive in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th October 2004, 16:29

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO