I am now one of you...need some advice on warranty

grantposs

Reaction score
After months of searching and saving i have finally bought myself an Audi A3 :D

Car 1Car 2

Very happy, got it just over 6k with a mileage of 57,000 (its a 2.0L TDI) i got from a friend of a friend.

Theres no warranty on it at the moment, and i'm thinking of getting one... was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction..... reason being is that the car hasn't had its turbo replaced yet... and i hear it does go at least once after around 60,000 - 80,000 miles... am i right?

I also want to get it remapped in the near future which will also put extra pressure on the turbo, but if i get it mapped will it still be covered under warranty??

What would you do in my situation?

I also have a good relationship with the people at my local garage so could i fake the death of my turbo whilst under warranty?... anyone else tried this?

Cheers

View attachment 33108View attachment 33109

Very happy, got it just over 6k with a mileage of 57,000 (its a 2.0L TDI) i got from a friend of a friend.

Theres no warranty on it at the moment, and i'm thinking of getting one... was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction..... reason being is that the car hasn't had its turbo replaced yet... and i hear it does go at least once after around 60,000 - 80,000 miles... am i right?

I also want to get it remapped in the near future which will also put extra pressure on the turbo, but if i get it mapped will it still be covered under warranty??

I also have a good relationship with the people at my local garage so could i fake the death of my turbo whilst under warranty?... anyone else tried this?

Cheers

rather than paying for warranty on the off chance it may go pop i'd just stick anything upto £800 in an ISA and leave it there as turbo fund.

Reactions: grantposs and Ghost

View attachment 33108View attachment 33109

Cheers

Warranty companies are notorious for trying to wriggle out of paying! I personally wouldn't bother unless your turbos show signs of failing?

My a3's on 118k and turbos still going good, had the car a year and driven it hard for most of that year.

Better of putting money aside every month as a sort of car fund.

Reactions: RS3dan and grantposs
Warranty companies are notorious for trying to wriggle out of paying! I personally wouldn't bother unless your turbos show signs of failing?

My a3's on 118k and turbos still going good, had the car a year and driven it hard for most of that year.

Better of putting money aside every month as a sort of car fund.

Yeah, so far this seems like the popular option... Have you had yours mapped? i hear remapping will put more of a strain on the turbo.

Anything else i need to keep an eye out for... cambelt etc (cambelt has been changed already)

Why should the turbo go after 60-80k miles? If you warm the car up correctly and allow it to cool down correctly after turbo abuse, then it should last a lot longer than that. I know one member on here has an A4 with 300k miles on original turbo although it is approaching a need for a change now. My A3 has 118K on original turbo and still pulls hard. HTH.

Yeah, so far this seems like the popular option... Have you had yours mapped? i hear remapping will put more of a strain on the turbo.

Anything else i need to keep an eye out for... cambelt etc (cambelt has been changed already)

Not had it mapped yet, intend on doing so though soon but looking to get a stage 2 with a hybrid turbo!

It may well put more strain on it but even then a stage 1 remap isn't known to cause the turbo to fail, it may well contribute to it having a somewhat shorter life but this hasn't really been proven either with the general consensus being you'll be fine unless the turbo is already on its way out.

Just stay on top of all the servicing requirements really mate, is yours a manual or DSG? Keep an eye on all your fluids, coolant etc as some heads on these are prone to cracking.

Why should the turbo go after 60-80k miles? If you warm the car up correctly and allow it to cool down correctly after turbo abuse, then it should last a lot longer than that. I know one member on here has an A4 with 300k miles on original turbo although it is approaching a need for a change now. My A3 has 118K on original turbo and still pulls hard. HTH.

Thats great news for me! ive just read on a few other posts and from some other people i know with a3s that the turbo can pack in at some point

Not had it mapped yet, intend on doing so though soon but looking to get a stage 2 with a hybrid turbo!

It may well put more strain on it but even then a stage 1 remap isn't known to cause the turbo to fail, it may well contribute to it having a somewhat shorter life but this hasn't really been proven either with the general consensus being you'll be fine unless the turbo is already on its way out.

Just stay on top of all the servicing requirements really mate, is yours a manual or DSG? Keep an eye on all your fluids, coolant etc as some heads on these are prone to cracking.

Its a Manual. im still a bit of a noob when it comes to cars.... if the turbo was to pack in, am i correct in thinking the car will still run ok... it just wont have turbo?

and if i had to replace it i could replace it with a different and potentially better turbo? (not the standard audi one it was made with)

Its a Manual. im still a bit of a noob when it comes to cars.... if the turbo was to pack in, am i correct in thinking the car will still run ok... it just wont have turbo?

and if i had to replace it i could replace it with a different and potentially better turbo? (not the standard audi one it was made with)

Well as the turbo began to fail, the car would go into limp and you'd get faults advising you of a possible failing turbo when scanned. Also blue smoke (oil being burnt), a rather loud whistle are some other symptoms but not the complete list.

You can replace the turbo with a bigger and more powerful turbo but this would only be worthwhile if you were looking for performance increases.

Also defo not a good idea faking the death, the warranty company would look to independently verify before replacing.

Reactions: grantposs
Well as the turbo began to fail, the car would go into limp and you'd get faults advising you of a possible failing turbo when scanned. Also blue smoke (oil being burnt), a rather loud whistle are some other symptoms but not the complete list.

You can replace the turbo with a bigger and more powerful turbo but this would only be worthwhile if you were looking for performance increases.

Also defo not a good idea faking the death, the warranty company would look to independently verify before replacing.

Ok ill avoid faking the death... knew that was a pretty dumb idea. thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: kanecullen89, DriverN00B and Ads
i must say having come from jap diesels with this being my first german diesel that the german engines do pop turbos much much much more commonly than the japs. having said that the jap engines only seem to deliver power between 2 and 3k RPM whereas the german engines seem to pull much further into higher revvs, not sure if this places extra strain on the turbo or not.

i think the best way to sum up is that i do worry about my turbo, but never did in my corolla.

This is getting too much like the Subaru forum! These engines are not made from chocolate. Treat them properly and they will last.

Reactions: RS3dan