S3 8P clutch or flywheel problems I guess. Any help would be greatly appreciated

S3Colin

Reaction score
Yesterday when on a long drive home it got a problem with my S3. I had been driving it for about 100 miles on the motorway then when I came off and I was driving it in the country roads, I got an issue.

I was was driving it quite quick and was shifting down gear and braking at the same time. I felt a big vibration from my clutch pedal then a constant vibration. I then slowed right down and every time I now take my foot off the accelerator, I get vibrations from the clutch pedal and a grinding noise front the engine. Also when the car is idling it also vibrates slightly until I put my clutch pedal in.

Any advice would be great. My car is an 58reg standard S3 8P sportback with 50k on the clock.

Sounds like your DMF may be failing but I'm no expert.

From what I'm reading it looks like it may be this. If so, should I do the clutch and DMF together?

I have also been looking up and think that the Sachs clutch seems to be the most popular option but I'm slightly confused on DMF or single.

Anyone know any good places to get everything done in the Northwest? I've used Awesome GTI on an old S3 but it was a while ago and I've not heard good things about them recently.

I think it's also time for a remap if it's clutch time :) That was really the only thing that was holding me back.

definitely sounds clutch related and not drive train related as it does it on idle. it may also be the release bearing, im pretty sure the S3 has a concentric slave cylinder which is all part of the release bearing, you wont be able to tell much until you have the box off im afraid

Gutted. Oh well. Any idea of the average price of a clutch, flywheel and release bearing with labour?

The price of the clutch all depends on what your gonna do reference remapping. I shall quote a price for a Stage 3 Loba clutch with SMF as this is the top end price scale. For the clutch and flywheel look at about £880-£900 and about £75 for the release bearing.

For fitment my garage guy charged £300 for the last clutch and flywheel fit which is quite cheap.

Thanks for the price. I would probably go to stage 1 for the remap but may be tempted after that to go to stage 2 after a while ;-) I was looking at either Revo or APR. I wouldn't go past stage 2 though.

What's the difference in driving experience for DMF against SMF? I'm a fast road driver but I probably won't ever track the S3.

In that case have a look on mk5gti.co.uk, AlexVRS is running a group buy on a Helix clutch kit that will cope with Stage 2+ no bother for £460 with everything you need (slave, flywheel bolts ect) and you can source a new DMF online for £247 here:

Buy AUDI S3 2.0 2010 luk dual mass flywheel dmf online and save | Buy Parts By

People on that forum running circa 400 ft/lb and beyond on this setup with no issues and you retain the pleasantries of a dual mass. Not for a track car that's getting hammered all the time but for a fast road setup and if you are mechanically sympathetic then should serve you well for many many miles.

Not to reflect on Mark @ Brotek here as he's a reliable chap but there's an interesting thread on vagoc.co.uk about the Loba SMF kit, shifting issues, extremely poor aftersales support.... worth a read anyway before making a decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: mister.c.
Sorry if that came across as trying to put someone off a potential sale Mark that's not the case I just think its important OP's aware that since someone left Loba people have been having real issues with warranty and after sales, which is a pity.

Mark you could supply the Sachs upgrade clutch though couldn't you and OP could source their own DMF? I'm pretty sure I read even the first Sachs upgrade path clutch would be more than sufficient for what the OP is looking for?

I can supply anything Loba and there has been afew clutch slipping problems over the last 2-3 months but not through me.....seems it could of been dodgy batch of clutches but hopefully thats all rectified now.

The guy that left (not naming names) was great at his job, gave the dealers a sound ledge to air problems or get advice but since hes left I believe his position hasn't been filled yet so thats why there is a lack of customer service and comms to and from Loba.

Thanks for all your help guys. From what I'm reading, it looks like the best thing to do would be to get a uprated clutch kit with DMF possibly an OEM one I would only use it on the road but would want something stronger for the remap.

Brodster, do you only do one type of clutch? Not really sure that I would be comfortable if there's been a lot of problems unless you're sure about them now being ok. Also, where are you based?

No mate I can get afew types of clutches......Loba stage 1/2/3 with or without SMF or just a straight fwd OEM replacement or LUK products along with afew other less known brands. Im just outside Edinburgh mate. I didnt even know about the problems until last week when another dealer and I were discussing stuff and things

What brodster is saying is that he can provide the Loba stage 2 clutch without SMF which is essentially a sach's pressure plate and clutch plate then a OEM LUK DMF. Which is the setup a few people are running and you shouldn't have any problems with engagement or chatter at idle Colin. There are a number of people on here and on seatcupra running this setup at stage 2+ with no slip so long as its treated gently.

You will also need a new release bearing.

Reactions: mister.c.
I think the point to remember here is that the actual clutch plates and covers Loba supply are Sachs (I.E very good!), as I understand it the issues were related to their billet single mass flywheels? Any problems with the clutch plates and covers and you will no doubt get the usual excellent support from Sachs direct.

Sounds like a nice Sachs (Loba) stage 1 or 2 clutch plate & cover and a new OEM DMF (there is only one, LUK) is what you want mate and looks like Mark can sort all that out for you too :)

Yeah there has been problems me being one of them! I'm waiting to see the come back of this before I post anything up as I'm not one for posting up on forums specially until I get the full story

From experience with all clutches above (yes really)

I would recommend to probably go for Clutchmasters FX350 or FX400.

I cannot comment 'just yet' on why but save yourself and your pocket and learn from my experiences. lol

Hi Muzza. I can't seem to find the group buy for the Helix clutch but do you know if it's this one at all:
Helix Clutch Kit & Single Mass Flywheel Options - Audi S3 2.0TFSi - Clutches kits and Flywheels - Transmission - Parts | Awesome GTI

I'm going to get it checked out on Saturday morning by a local ex VAG technician and then I can make sure it's definitely the flywheel/clutch

Still not sure about the Loba vs Helix or any others. It looks like I will go for the DMF though as I want it to be a little stronger but OEM feel.

Hi Muzza. I can't seem to find the group buy for the Helix clutch but do you know if it's this one at all:
Helix Clutch Kit & Single Mass Flywheel Options - Audi S3 2.0TFSi - Clutches kits and Flywheels - Transmission - Parts | Awesome GTI

I'm going to get it checked out on Saturday morning by a local ex VAG technician and then I can make sure it's definitely the flywheel/clutch

Still not sure about the Loba vs Helix or any others. It looks like I will go for the DMF though as I want it to be a little stronger but OEM feel.

Thank you need to be a member mate, takes 2 mins to sign up.

It's £460 for everything (clutch plate, cover, slave cylinder, flywheel bolts) except the dmf which you can buy at the link above for cheaper.

ABOUT - AKStuning is Alex's website, maybe give them a call.

Failing that Mark @ Brotek will sort you a Sachs equivalent, I think they're pretty much 6 and half a dozen (the stage 1 clutches from Helix and Sachs) if you're keeping the DMF.

Right... I have now got a quote for a Helix clutch and DMF fitted but can't find anyone local that will supply and fit Loba / Sachs. I would prefer someone to supply and fit everything but I have also got a local ex vag master tech so could be convinced to get everything supplied by someone and fitted by him.

Has anyone got any experience with Helix? It looks like most people are running Loba / Sachs but I am getting mixed reviews from both. Definitely confused now but I've probably been looking at too many threads.

Brodster, could you give me a price for Loba / Sachs with OEM DMF. 2 prices, supplied and also with fitting included? You're a little far but may be worth the trip as I'm looking to remap at the same time.

Yes defo get from somewhere that can back you up if things go wrong thankfully I did and graeme j sorted mine out where are you from ?

I live in southport. Close to Liverpool and Manchester.

I see your looking for remap aswell ? What Tuner are you wanting to go with?

S3 Colin I would PM Graeme at GNJ and get him to give you a price for fitting as hes nearly on your doorstep buddy whereas I am quite far away. I can supply you everything you need though and also get my workshop guys to fit it all but if you want a place to supply and fit nearer you then he is your man. Im not shirking out of the business I just want you to have the back-up nearby JUST INCASE anything goes wrong and sometimes it does.......Graeme will testify to that. You can also get your remap done there too as he is the Shark dealer for Manchester area whereas I am the Scottish Shark dealer.

That's prob your best plan bare in mind loba have asked me for a receipt of fitting so if ur mate is going to fit it you won't have that if anything does go wrong, mark will sort tho out with everything you will need I went for stage 2 clutch but had problems now have stage 3 and I prefer it tbh feels a lot better, can take a bit more abuse I'm led to believe incase you go more power down the line as this owner club can kinda tease ya into it I started as stage 1 which quickly changed lol

Thanks to Graeme at GNJ for all the help on the phone today. Booked in for a new clutch and DMF next week. Also treating her to a Shark remap, new rear brakes and a short shifter. Looking forward to all the work being complete mid next week. Thanks for all your help and advice everyone!

Reactions: GNJ_Motorsport, fuzion and S3_Mat
Thanks to Graeme at GNJ for all the help on the phone today. Booked in for a new clutch and DMF next week. Also treating her to a Shark remap, new rear brakes and a short shifter. Looking forward to all the work being complete mid next week. Thanks for all your help and advice everyone!

Useful thread. A year on Colin, how have you been finding the new set up?