Halogen to bi-xenon done without adapters or extra wires

Lewbo

Reaction score
Today I fitted so 8p2 bi-Xenons to my a3 whilst I'm waiting to collect all the parts for my 8p3 conversion, I would need to wire for new Xenons anyways so thought i would do it now with 8p2 Xenons then led ones will be direct swap.

anyways after every thread I searched it someone always said get kufatec adapters to convert 10 to 14 pin and then run the bi-xenon shutter wires into the central electrics under drivers footwell. These cost around £50-£60 with delivery which I thought is kinda pricey for couple of plugs and little bits of wiring.

so I thought I will just do it myself without them. So I went on elsawin and checked out the wiring for headlights and realised when adapters are fitted the two cables that were not used for old headlight motors are no longer required. So me thinking these can be controlled from headlight switch I checked elsa and found that they are wired straight back to headlight from the switch. These are doubled up at the switch so just split them.

removed from pin 3 of the 7 pin connector

so there's no need to run new cables in for xenon shutters I'll just use one off each headlight for this. So I bought two 14 pin headlight adapters and two repair wires from Audi which was £18

Re-pinned the new plug as per wiring and extended the cables that ran to headlight switch to run to correct positions on the central electrics and covered with loom tape so looks OEM

Now when looking under the Bonnet headlights looked wired OEM as possible with no adapters used and no extra wires can be seen as I used switch feeds to old headlight motors.

Juat thought I would let others no if they wasn't keen on running new wires in and having to take scuttle panel off ect.

Reactions: HarveW and Rhyso
Love people who get stuck in themselves rather than pay others.

Reactions: RS3dan
Thanks guys just wanted to think out of the box and do it as oem as possible, yes coding is still required as always but this era round having to buy adapters and run the wires into the drivers footwell which means having to take off wipers and scuttle panel ect. Plus uses all existing wiring so having none on shown under Bonnet and is cheaper than buying adapters

Great job, Lewbo, Im in the middle of the bi xenon install, could you tell me where into the cem the 4 wires go? Ive got the kufa loom :/

Looks really interesting upgrade; can I ask a dumb question. I know I have xenons but how do I know if they are spxenons or bi-xenons? Sorry for the newbie question...

Hello,
I have an A3 8P MY2008 with halogen headlights and i was about to buy a pair of single xenons to avoid the extra hussle of installation. After seeing this conversion to bi-xenon with no extra wires, i decided to pull the trigger and get bi-xenons instead, as they are the ones i wanted but didn't like the idea to run extra wires into the cabin.
Could anyone please help me out with the wiring needed to convert the 10-pin plug to 14-pin? I understand i just need to buy 2 14-pin plugs, de-pin the old plugs and figure out which pin goes to each of numbered holes. (I understood the guide about using existing wires from headlight switch)
I have ELSA but i cannot find the diagrams that show the plug pins/wires layout...

Any help much appreciated!