Leaving a\c on in winter and if so what setting?

[ QUOTE ]
It is good practice to turn off the airco (ECO on) a few minutes before you reach your destination to allow the condensation in the system to evaporate. If you leave the airco running until you stop driving the airo and ventilation system will constantly be wet and that's what causes the infamous "wet cat" smell after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure on this one? I've had air con cars for years and never switched it off, the missus rarely turned it on on her mini and the thing had the wet cat smell,(Car obviously!!) her new car doesnt have this now as she knows to leave it on! I thought the smell came from lack of use?

Had a play on the way back tonight.

Agree that Footwell setting is a bit quieter than Auto.

Up Arrow (presumably screen) seems the loudest - anyone agree\disagree?

Don't seem to have the same prob as Dave R with warm air blowing into my face from the vents on Auto in the winter. Presumably I have my vents better adjusted? Never noticed it coming shooting out of the round vents on Auto in the winter, just a very gently flow that u only really notice if u put your hand in front, presumably because the flow is being directed everywhere under Auto. Anyone agree\disagree?

Something else to add to this one regarding this nasty smell and wearing out nonsense! My car is now just over 6 years old and it still makes ice cold air without any problems and smells pretty much like the day it was bought (with a slight touch of vanilla magic tree).

The previous owner was also like me (albeit german) and used to leave it between 20-22 for 99% of the time, I strongly suspect the only aircon systems that stop working like new are those that arn't used!

[ QUOTE ]
Yak, the reason why it doesn't work below 5 degrees centigrade is to protect the air-con from freezing itself up and breaking, not because the air it's drawing is cold enough already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm well aware of that and physics why that happens. Doesn't change the fact, when it's enough cold, it turns itself off. As for cold temperature, the air-con can't remove humidity from already frozen air, even if it would work in those temperatures.

And it's actually freezing when it's used, thus taking the humidity away from air, just there's limitations with gas/liquid in which temperatures it can be used. And so on..

Well I never turn it off and have never had any smells of any sort.
The only smells I was aware of have been when the aircon has been switched off all over winter and bacteria builds up in the system.
In this day and age you shouldn't really have to worry about switching things off before you get to your destination

[ QUOTE ]
Well I never turn it off and have never had any smells of any sort.
The only smells I was aware of have been when the aircon has been switched off all over winter and bacteria builds up in the system.
In this day and age you shouldn't really have to worry about switching things off before you get to your destination

[/ QUOTE ]

well i guffed in my car on the way to work this morning, and it still smelled at lunchtime...does that count?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Eeef

All depends on what kind of smell it was, if it was more nutty than anything else you will probably have damaged the stiching in your seats, if it was more like a curry vindaloo smell and you also had a sweaty harris at the same time, not only have you damaged the whole of the seat but you will have trouble selling the car on.

[ QUOTE ]
All depends on what kind of smell it was, if it was more nutty than anything else you will probably have damaged the stiching in your seats, if it was more like a curry vindaloo smell and you also had a sweaty harris at the same time, not only have damaged the whole of the seat but you will have trouble selling the car on.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

With regards to Smells, as I'm in the Air Con trade i also have the problem of smells to sort out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Its down the the Aluminium Coil of the chiller part.

Some smell like cats Pea and some don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

There's very little than can be done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif we have sprayed the smelling ones with chemical cleaners etc etc, this does help, but its down to usage at the end of the day,
If yours smell, its needs a good hammering all the time and over time it will clear the smell, trust me it will, as the one in my office smelt of cat pea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif it did finally go after 2 years ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Who needs a users manual if we have all this audi-sport.net expertise ;-)

Thanks to all this insightful information I have now switched off ECON mode. I hope this will keep the wet cat away.