Wet sanding entire car followed by a buff?

Adam_A3_

Reaction score
So i have very small surface swirls on my car. Only visible in the sun or bright light. Im wanting to have the car wetsanded and buffed. Just wondering if anyones done this before?

Obviously i dont want to do it myself so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Rotary polish with a mild cutting compound should do the trick, a wet sand is pretty expensive I believe. The most I've seen quoted for a full wet sand is £4000. You're not around rothwell/woodlesford area by any chance are you?

I regularly wet sand cars, it's pretty easy and can remove less clear coat than normal polishing for bits of the car that would require it.

it's normally for BMWs as their paint is rubbish and full of orange peel... or if I have scratches that are too deep to polish, but not deep enough to paint...

Doing a full car takes time, knowledge and big balls to do it, and there isn't many "professional detailers' that actually do it, or I would trust doing it...

OP, I would recommend that if you just have 'very small surface swirls' and you are not trying to either get rid of orange peel, or use the car for show purposes that you go down the polishing route.

for Audi paint (which is normally hard clear coat) I would recommend Scholl S17+ polish.. this can be used as a 1 set to remove swirls and it can finish down nicely to leave the paint looking very nice and glossy.

:icon_thumright:

Reactions: martinivw and Adam_A3_
A lot of Detailers will do you a test on a part of one of your panels so you can get a decent idea how far the scratches may come out so you can then judge if thats good enough and would you be happy enough with,as mentioned above someone with a decent idea would be able to walk you round your car and tell you what you can expect but if they are just light swirls a decent detail with the right products should make it 90 to 100 % better

Reactions: Adam_A3_
Give it to a detailer and someone who knows what they are doing. I travelled over 2 hours to use this guy. The link is to the work he did on my car.

White Details: BMW 335d Tourer

Be very careful about getting a recommendation. Not all detailers are this good.

What sort of cost am i looking at for a decent detail with the right products?

All depends on the level of correction required/requested and can vary anything from £200 for a single stage correction to £500+ for a multi-stage and a lot of the price depends on the reputation of the person doing it, the best are expensive.

Great - let the weather get a liitle better then i think its a must. Its annoying in the sun when youve just washed it and the swirls come up!

Rotary polish with a mild cutting compound should do the trick, a wet sand is pretty expensive I believe. The most I've seen quoted for a full wet sand is £4000. You're not around rothwell/woodlesford area by any chance are you?

4 ****ing k for a full wet sand
you can get a full colour change inside and out for less

Reactions: DriverN00B and Adam_A3_
The last car my friend got fully resprayed cost him just shy of £2000. I would do this instead. However, spending that much is silly in my opinion as i could spend a little on the rex! :).
Thanks for all your replies.

just about to do mine following a full respray , gonna wet sand it with 2000 grit then move onto the 3000,pads ,then upto the 4000. before hitting it with the scholl concepts range ,gets rid of the orange peel which you usually get after a full respray .

worst car ive had to do is a bmw hard as ****** rock that clearcoat ,took a good week of hard labour .

My car, Brilliant black, has a lot of minor cobwebbing, swirls and the odd slightly rougher scuff. I've got some G-Techniq P1 and will be getting a machine polisher; if yours is similar to mine from what you've described, that solution should correct a lot of it? Wet sanding sounds like taking a sledgehammer to tap out a split-pin?

Have only ever wet sanded once and it came out brilliant but saying that I wouldnt like to do a whole car. I know of a handful of top guys in the UK that would do a complete car. As stated before I would go down the correction stage first as its cheaper and even Audi paint being as hard as it is can be corrected and refined over a few days using the correct products.

Theres a boy in the pictures thread just wet sanded his car... Cant mind his name, bit the results look pretty awesome!

Starting at £250 upwards depending on the level of correction needed. £500 will buy you a lot of correction.

If you aren't trained then leave it alone, try a professional detailer first as it maybe cheaper as if you do it and feck it you cant cover it up, i have seen a car wet sanded with sanding marks all over it, black as well. It came up good in pictures on a popular forum but in real life you could see the sanding marks , poorly refined maybe but then i am no prof detailer.