Tyre punture

steve184

Reaction score
Think i may have a puncture in one of my tyres as it is going from 30psi to about 18psi in about 2 weeks.

Ima bit paranoid about having tyre removed now tho as i had to have a new tyre done at audi when it was new and they ruined my wheel on the machine left big dents in the rim where the machine had gripped the wheel. (Made them replace with brand new wheel and tyre.)

But... a puncture needs sorting nonetheless - has anyone ever used event mobile tyres??? my wheels are absolutely perfect and never been marked or repaired and although i would like to get the puncture fixed i do not want to even chance the wheel getting damaged.

Tyre machines make me cringe cos i dont know how they manage to pull the tyre over the rim without damaging the wheel?!?!

I have used the same tyre people for the last four years (for both mine and my Mrs' cars). I went in there for the first time and explained I was a bit fanatical about not having scratches on my alloys. The boss totally understood(he had a Golf VR6 that was mint) and now only ever does my wheels himself. Never uses the airgun on the wheelnuts to avoid chips and is ultra careful taking the tyre off.

That said, before that I used main dealers for my tyres and never had a problem.

Small local firms are better than your Kwik /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif type of idiots.

My Mrs' car is a Mini Cooper with 17" runflats. Seeing them fit those tyres with the rigid side walls is like watching your child being brought into the world with forceps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Yesterday my girlfriend went to the hair dressers; it turned out to be the most expensive cut and colour yet. On her way back flat tyre. RAC man said it was probably caused by a pot hole, the side wall had a big tear in it and a nice big dink in the alloy (the tyre only had 3000 miles on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

£136.00 P Zero
£100 to have two alloys refurbed

Find a local place not a big chain or man in a van and tell him that you are really careful with your alloys and can you do the job without damaging the rim? If he does and your happy bung him an extra tenner.

Well went up this morning and had it done - and there was a screw in the tyre it turned out! Anyway nice guys, probably would have been a good idea to clean the wheel before i took it on hindsight. Asked them if they would be really careful and they seem to be careful with the rim itself and apart from a few rubber marks which come off with polish no marks there.

Only fault was one of the original weights was at the front in one of the 'holes' where you can see it and they have scratched the wheel on the inside face a bit when taking it off - but its nothing major - its on the inside not the shiny face.

Would touch it up but its hard to get a good match for paint on alloys and a bad colour match will stand out more than the scratch. Nevermind won't worry about it too much at least the front and the rim is cool (next time i think i'll ask them to be careful with the weights too!)

Anyway overall good job - im happy that my puncture is sorted and wheel still in good condition overall!

Steve,

I use one of the VAG silver touch up pens from Halfrauds. Can;t remeber the name but I'll look it up for you. Very good colour match.

J.