S3 8P fast road/track brake pads thread with part numbers and prices

Muzza80

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been doing quite a bit of research on performance brake pads for my 2010 S3 8P lately and thought I would share my findings as the forum seems to be lacking definitive information, part numbers & prices.

The prices listed are from hours of trawling the internet and are the best I could find, I'll not list where from on here as I'm not sure that's allowed but feel free to PM me if you want that information.

All prices are inc VAT and before postage.

I have not listed any EBC pads as I've had them (redstuff & yellowstuff) in the past and don't rate them, there's far better available for the money.

Ferrodo DS2500

FCP1765H - Ferodo DS2500 Pads Front - £147.37
FCP1636H - Ferodo DS2500 Pads Rear - £113.38
DS2500 is amongst the foremost high performance track day pads in the business. It is also suitable for some light duty front and many rear pure race applications. It offers excellent refinement for such a high performance pad.

The main characteristics of DS2500 are:
  • Track day & light race use for all vehicle types
  • Road style refinement but with race material ability to withstand heat with respect to life and µ
  • Average friction coefficient of 0.42 over working temperature range of 20°-500°C

Brembo Sport HP2000

07.B314.55 - Brembo Sport HP2000 Pads Front - £106.08
07.B315.22 - Brembo Sport HP2000 Pads Rear - £82.62
Tested to the highest levels on the track with decelerations from 270kph (168mph) the HP2000 material is capable of operating in the most demanding conditions.

With excellent cold performance & bite, high resistance to fade, frictional stability throughout all operating conditions, reduced pad & disc wear and low dust levels, the all new HP2000 friction material offers significant advantages over its rivals.

Tarox Strada

SP0478.112 - Tarox Strada Pads Front - £104.76
SP0473.112 - Tarox Strada Pads Rear - £70.20
These pads are designed specifically for fast road use and avaliable for most application of the cataloge They work virtually from cold but at the same time they offer a higher coefficient of friction for superior braking power. Unlike many uprated pads they offer a more progressive feel which allows the driver to have constant control over the braking effort of the vehicle.

Able to withstand temperatures of up to 600°C this pad has an optimum temperature range of 200°C to 300°C.
Coefficient of friction
Hot = 0,42
Normal = 0,37

Tarox Corsa

SP0478.114 - Tarox Corsa Pads Front - £162.34
SP0473.114 - Tarox Corsa Pads Rear - £154.22
The Corsa pad is a great all – round pad, although primarily intended for race and track day use the pads can also be used to great effect for fast road use. Unlike other high performance brake pads, Corsa pads are effective from cold and therefore give maximum performance at all temperatures.

The high coefficient of friction gives plenty of pedal feel due to the low compressibility level and massive amounts of bite.

Able to withstand temperatures of up to 800°C this pad has an optimum temperature range of 200°C to 400°C
Coefficient of friction
Hot = 0,49
Normale = 0,47

Hawk HP Plus

HB625N.760 - Hawk HP Plus - Autocross & Track Front - £132.37
HB544N.628 - Hawk HP Plus - Autocross & Track Rear - £115.86
Hawk Performance’s HP Plus brake pad compound is ideal for Autocross and Track Day drivers looking for a high performance race compound that can take the heat of the track and get you home safely without having to change the pads.

HP Plus utilizes a unique Ferro-Carbon, high-tech friction material that was developed and manufactured for sport driving in autocross, Solo II and “track day” applications. The Ferro-Carbon formulation offers lower wear rates and higher torque values than other competitive materials.

Extremely high coefficient of friction makes HP Plus the perfect upgrade over stock for high performance streetcars used in autocross competition or that experience repetitive, heavy braking.

Mintex M1144

MDB2677M1144 - Mintex M1144 Pads Front - £116.37
Mintex 1144 compound brake pads are designed for fast road and light track day use. These pads have a friction coefficient of just over 0.4 and are designed to work well from cold. Compared to standard brake pads they offer increased fade resistance and better brake modulation.

Mintex M1155

MDB2677M1155 - Mintex M1155 Pads Front - £116.37
Mintex M1155 compound brake pads are designed for heavy fast-road use (especially on heavier cars) and track-day use. M1155 offers increased temperature resistance remaining fade resistance up to a high operating temperature of 600°C. The 0.4 friction coefficient is usable up to 700°C

Anyway that's it for now, I'll add more as I find them, currently looking at Pagid "S" and Cosworth Streetmaster but only listing them in a rear pad so need to make some calls.

Hope it's useful

Cheers

Muzza!

P.S feel free to add to this if you come across any that I've missed :)

Last edited:
Reactions: K.A, Xophe, s3_trev and 1 other person
FCP1636H - Ferodo DS2500 Pads Front - £113.38

Are these rear?

Really good thread Muzza. I ran the M1144, softish pad. I then ran the Ds2500 on my Evo VI RsX, and a few Scoobies and a SC VR Corrado, really good pad. The price above the DS2500 is a keen price too.
I'll be going for them once I go Stage 1 :)

Reactions: Muzza80
I personally wouldn't use most of those listed. In my experience DS2500 can cause horrific judder when pushed (but then some do find they are fine). On Carbotech XP10 seem to be favoured by EVO owners. Probably a bit too extreme for the average S3 owner, I don't mean that as an insult but for dust and noise etc as most S3s will be nice road cars.

EBC Yellows are fine pads for the money, certainly the best pad for the money as they're cheaper than most on the market and have fine road manners yet will cope with track use. Don't bother with any other grade (Red, Blue etc). Yellow seems to be the best pad they make, yet is graded under Blue and Orange. For me Mintex 1144 aren't as a good as Yellows, they fade sooner. Mintex 1155 are ok though.

I wouldn't expect much from the Tarox or the Brembo pads.

Pagid RS29 are one of the best pads out there, expensive but will probably outlast anything else with very good road manners, great on track, last ages and not bad for dust.

I personally wouldn't use most of those listed. In my experience DS2500 can cause horrific judder when pushed (but then some do find they are fine). On Carbotech XP10 seem to be favoured by EVO owners. Probably a bit too extreme for the average S3 owner, I don't mean that as an insult but for dust and noise etc as most S3s will be nice road cars.

EBC Yellows are fine pads for the money, certainly the best pad for the money as they're cheaper than most on the market and have fine road manners yet will cope with track use. Don't bother with any other grade (Red, Blue etc). Yellow seems to be the best pad they make, yet is graded under Blue and Orange. For me Mintex 1144 aren't as a good as Yellows, they fade sooner. Mintex 1155 are ok though.

I wouldn't expect much from the Tarox or the Brembo pads.

Pagid RS29 are one of the best pads out there, expensive but will probably outlast anything else with very good road manners, great on track, last ages and not bad for dust.

We're not all hardcore tracksters mate, this was intended to give people the part numbers of the popular "dual duty" pads.

My experience of DS2500 is quite different and HP2000 / Tarox are supposed to be very similar in performance plus a little cheaper too.

RS29 are marketed as a race pad and they're £460 for f&r axles on our application. I don't care how dedicated you are, nearly £500 on pads for the stock calipers, I don't think so lol, If you're throwing that kind of money on brakes it would be better spent on a big brake kit.

Anyway, feel free to do the research and add part numbers of the pads you like, that was the point of this, give people the specific details and let them make their own decisions.

:)

We're not all hardcore tracksters mate, this was intended to give people the part numbers of the popular "dual duty" pads.

My experience of DS2500 is quite different and HP2000 / Tarox are supposed to be very similar in performance plus a little cheaper too.

RS29 are marketed as a race pad and they're £460 for f&r axles on our application. I don't care how dedicated you are, nearly £500 on pads for the stock calipers, I don't think so lol, If you're throwing that kind of money on brakes it would be better spent on a big brake kit.

Anyway, feel free to do the research and add part numbers of the pads you like, that was the point of this, give people the specific details and let them make their own decisions.

:)

Yea get that, hence me saying stuff like Carbotech is likely to be too aggressive for most S3 owners :). But honestly the Pagid RS29 is a great fast road pad and will outlast the other pads that for wear rate work out the same cost.

Are there any recommendations for discs togo with these pads or are oem discs as good an option? Very good thread!

I have the S3 front calipers with Tarox F2000 disks and DS2500 pads. I had them for almost three years already and around 45k KM.
The disks seem to be very good but the pads... they do the stopping job more than OK, at least on the street but they are very noisy and leave A LOT of dust. The dust sticks on the disks and cause vibrations at medium braking.
There are no vibrations if i just pinch the pedal or when braking hard.
Also the front rims are getting dirty very fast and need frequent wash to prevent the dust from getting too difficult to remove.
Tomorrow I'll post pictures with the rims after two weeks from the last wash.

Yep, DS2500 are very dusty and had the same vibration on my BMW with them. I sold the pads on shortly after, replacing them with EBC Yellowstuff which I ran for several years without issues (much lower dust, no noise, cheaper, nice and smooth).

This is how much dust DS2500 pads leave in two weeks of city driving. ~20-25 miles/day

P1100331

What are the brembo pads like as a daily? Am i ok to have just the rear pads changed and leave the discs if they are not lipped?

What are the brembo pads like as a daily? Am i ok to have just the rear pads changed and leave the discs if they are not lipped?

I'll be able to tell you for sure in a couple of weeks but from other reviews they're perfect every day pads that can take a bit of track work too.

if you need brakes just get an anchor of a cargo ship im sure you'll instantaneously stop (* disclaimer for any chassis damage*) or just use good old you feet as brakes worked for the flintstones haha

Last edited:
Reactions: S3_Mat
Cut a hatch in the floor of my last car to do that sevv, but its murder on my bunions.

I'll be able to tell you for sure in a couple of weeks but from other reviews they're perfect every day pads that can take a bit of track work too.

Got any updates on the brembos yet? Pictures of dust levels? Performance?

For Ferodo pads, you can try JDL brakes http://www.jdl-brakes.com/ferodo-racing.html
I ordered from them many times before, and always best prices in Europe, and top service. Now you can use promo code XMAS, and you will get 10% discount for all Ferodo pads.