Budget speakers

dannyh1991uk

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can anybody provide info on why my sound system feels a bit shiiiiii...... :/

06 Sportback.. NOT BOSE... Aftermarket Sony Xplod MEX-BT4100U

Buy SONY MEX-BT4100U RDS Tuner & CD Player - Black & Variable Colour Illumination | Free Delivery | Currys

I like to have it turned reasonably high occasionally when driving home on the M5 lol

But it seems the grill by the speakers likes to rattle and also parts of the door card...the sound is sometimes disappointing :/

As i do like my music i do download all my music at 320kps if possible so i know this isnt the problem

If i was to change anything this month my budget would be around £30 *cringe* lol i know I'm not gunna get Dre Beats quality for £30 but nice smooth sound with sharper sounds and punchier bass would be amazing lol

To be honest mate if the audio matters to you I would save up and do it properly. Amp and speakers and possibly a sub too. Doesn't have to cost a great amount, buy second hand on ebay and get yourself a good deal on good kit. Might be a good idea to avoid second hand speakers unless they are high end and have been looked after.

For the record, Dre Beats is a marketing gimmick, not high quality stuff like most the other brands out there in the same price points :p

Reactions: dandav1985
Theres already a factory standard sub in the left side of the boot but as its controlled the same as the speakers i think it could use an actual sub lol

Theres so many different speakers claiming different things :(

Sitting in the car atm no music is playing... and iv noticed the rear tweeters are slightly buzzing

No speakers you could recommend atm? Think this might have to be a continuing thing after every pay day do something else to improve :/

Crushing my dreams on Dre Beats :( lmao i just remember couple years ago looking in HMV and they had a big ipod/iphone dock and id never heard anything so good 🙈

I guess you haven't been to a proper speaker shop before, HMV don't stock high end stuff but when you hear the top end range you will know the difference :yahoo:

If you are on a budget then there are lots of options if you just want an improved sound. Check out some of these (I am not sure what size you need):
6.5 inch Comp (17cm) - Component Systems - Speakers | Car Audio Direct

Then talkaudio is a great forum for car audio advice, I am over there too. I suppose there is no harm starting with just speakers and amping them from your headunit (I have never done this myself but it would help with your budget), then add an amp afterwards. You will find if you listen to bass music your stock sub is shocking, it's because it is in a thin plastic box. I have a Bose system in my A3 but the sub is weak and the speakers aren't amazing but I am used to having a Genesis SQL setup so expected this. I think when I replace my sub the speakers will be better when I filter low frequency out.

Cheers dude :) appreciate it

Im just sat here in the car playing with radio settings aha... Hope the neighbours dont mind me playing Will Smith too loud.... Cringe aha

Turned DM+ off and it sounds clearer lol....think im gunna get the manual out to understand all this lol... There is a lpf and hpf on the radio :/

Set your fader to the rear a bit. Usually with aftermarket head units with non bose systems the rear levels are quiter than the head unit driven fronts. So you'll be lacking the same sort of sound quality as you would normally get. It does make the sound overall more quieter which means u need to compensate for that with higher volume but it'll balance the sound between all 4 speakers and the sub. No need to mess around with the HPF and LPF. I normally put "loudness" on, and set the EQ to xplod when doing sony installs

If you're anywhere near birmingham i'd be happy to help u set it up

I put fader all the way to the rear and its very quiet asif the sound is only there in the boot... Iv put my ear to the rear door speakers and although theres quiet sound there they seem to be "buzzing"....

USB would be clearer as it would have a greater bandwidth, I use Bluetooth for convenience though.

I would even consider muting the rear speakers, most audio pros agree that audio should come from the front, bass can come from anywhere.

Yeah same lol.. I keep a usb in the armrest for charging convenience lol i'll have to use that when i want to have it clearer.

Im starting to wonder if halfords used the correct connector lol.

Those £30 Edge speakers are looking tempting though, although i always wonder the difference between aftermarket £30ish speakers and stock speakers.

Over to Talk Audio i go lol...

Look for reviews before choosing the edge speakers as I have never heard of them but the alpine set should be decent value at that price, I have had fairly good experiences with fli and vibe too when looking at those price points. You do get what you pay for but you have made it pretty clear you are looking for a decent improvement but not high end audio so these should suit your requirements and as they are cheap you might even choose to save up and upgrade in the future without losing any money.

Yeah i had an edge sub in my old Ibiza and it was pretty good lol.

I think i'll just fix the sound atm so i'll enjoy the music more lol... Hopefully in the future and bills paid and savings put away i can justify trying to make my car like being at a concert or nightclub without the boy racer corsa-ness lol

I could look at Halfrauds since i know somebody with an employee card for 20% off :) lol

Or Bass Junkies in Wolverhampton is pretty local to me

Set your fader to the rear a

So you'll be lacking the same sort of sound quality as you would normally get.

No need to mess around with the HPF and LPF. I normally put "loudness" on, and set the EQ to xplod when doing

Am I reading this correctly? You are advising fading to rear and not using crossover filters?

Debate with a friend now...

He reckons £30-40 speakers will still be noticeably better than stock speakers...

Im thinking surely Audi would put some decent speakers in their cars as standard? Even if not Bose...

Debate with a friend now...

He reckons £30-40 speakers will still be noticeably better than stock speakers...

Im thinking surely Audi would put some decent speakers in their cars as standard? Even if not Bose...

If you upgrade to budget speakers whilst running stock headunit it will make it sound much worse. As you have an aftermarket one, cheapo speakers should do the job nicely!

If spent on the right speakers then £30-50 will improve the sound with an aftermarket head unit. I doubt audi spend any more than £20 on stock speakers and the Bose ones are probably very similar to stock and they are just buying the Bose trademark to boost sales. I have Bose in my car and Bose home audio speakers, the car doesn't sound even close to the quality of the home speakers.

If I had £30 for audio improvements it would be spent on sound deadening products before any speaker upgrades

The BIGGEST gain you'll get with £30 is sound proofing! Buy both 'open cell foam' and 'closed cell' (dynamat) stuff. You will need BOTH as they do different jobs! By far that will be the best thing you can do! When I comes to speakers on a budget, no questions asked it is 'HERTZ' what you need. They are a sister company from the Italians at Audison. Very good quality for reasonable prices!

Last edited:
Reactions: mister.c.