Coolant loss + Blue/White smoke + limp mode and rough starting

DriverN00B

Reaction score
Okay so the good news is, this is not concerning my car, bad news it's a friends. Been scanned with VCDS and below are the fault codes -

- Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157) No Signal P3102 - Intermittent
- Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157) Open or Short to Ground P3101
- Fan 1 Control Circuit Short to Ground P0691
- EGR System Insufficient Flow P0401
- Boost Pressure Regulation Limit Exceeded (Over Boost Condition) P0234
- Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected P0301

All 4 injectors were changed a year ago... it's a 2.0 TDi BKD engine, so my main concern would be the Head Gasket going?

However would that cause rough starting and idling, he's described the symptoms as 'Limp mode almost on every drive, blue/white smoke on cold start, shaking/juddering in idle, loss of power, car will literally shake when accelerated in 3rd/4th gear locally nevermind on a stretch'

The car now struggles to start at all, turning over for 10-15 seconds before starting.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Multiple issues going on there! Check the EGR valve isn't blocked, check the turbo actuator moves freely, check the vac system doesn't have a split hose. Also loosing coolant could be the dreaded porous head issue into cylinder 1.

Water levels need topping up regularly, oil was low also... also topped up now.

Multiple issues going on there! Check the EGR valve isn't blocked, check the turbo actuator moves freely, check the vac system doesn't have a split hose. Also loosing coolant could be the dreaded porous head issue into cylinder 1.

Are these a case of pulling the engine cover off and having a look or a mechanic job?

First your friend needs to change the intake manifold flap, EGR valve and the blown fuses. These will fix the first four points.
Even better, he can take advantage of this situation to do an EGR and EGR cooler delete. This way he can take the EGR valve out of his mind and also will eliminate a source of coolant loss (the cooler).
These might even clear the other two problems.

Reactions: DriverN00B
First your friend needs to change the intake manifold flap, EGR valve and the blown fuses. These will fix the first four points.
Even better, he can take advantage of this situation to do an EGR and EGR cooler delete. This way he can take the EGR valve out of his mind and also will eliminate a source of coolant loss (the cooler).
These might even clear the other two problems.

Sounds good, fuses located in the same location as the rest of em I'm assuming?

The delete would be a good idea, no issues with MOT at all?

I don't know where are the fuses that blow when the manifold flap brakes. They are either inside the engine bay or inside on the left side of the dashboard.
Regarding the EGR delete, shouldn't be any problem with MOT. A lot of people did it and had no problems. Though he'll get an error which can be mapped out, because the ECU sees that there is something wrong with the valve but the car can be driven just fine.

I don't know where are the fuses that blow when the manifold flap brakes. They are either inside the engine bay or inside on the left side of the dashboard.
Regarding the EGR delete, shouldn't be any problem with MOT. A lot of people did it and had no problems. Though he'll get an error which can be mapped out, because the ECU sees that there is something wrong with the valve but the car can be driven just fine.

Checked and it's inside the engine bay, that's the first thing I guess... and then get the EGR out and give it a clean first before looking at a replacement or delete.

Still only concern would be the blue/white smoke?

I don't know what to say about that. Too many possibilities.
Coolant may leak from the EGR cooler, pipes&hoses, head gasket or even from the head itself if cracked.
Oil may escape from the turbine. Worn seals...

I don't know what to say about that. Too many possibilities.
Coolant may leak from the EGR cooler, pipes&hoses, head gasket or even from the head itself if cracked.
Oil may escape from the turbine. Worn seals...

Fair enough, best get a good mechanic to give it a look. Pressure test the head if no visible leaks and take it from there!