Just fitted these....big foot?

Ron burgundy

Reaction score
Just fitted these alloys from an A4 and now it looks like big foot!! Haah

I thought the sport and S line suspension was the same but obviously not....

Also are the A4 alloys different to the A3?

They sit out compared to other A3 S lines that I've seen ..

They are et43 with 235/40/18

Before pic

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397926968683477

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397927002617620

After

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397927120536659

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397927143342328

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397927168818279

Standard tyres sizes for 18" A3's/S3's are 225/40 R18. ET is normally something like ET51-54, width 7.5J on standard 8P cars.

A4 wheels have a lower ET and therefore stick out a wee bit more.

Sport suspension isn't the same as S-Line. 'Sport' is a term Audi have used VERY loosely...

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard tyres sizes for 18" A3's/S3's are 225/40 R18. ET is normally something like ET51-54, width 7.5J on standard 8P cars.

A4 wheels have a lower ET and therefore stick out a wee bit more.

Sport suspension isn't the same as S-Line. 'Sport' is a term Audi have used VERY loosely...

Oh ****** hell ha

I think these sit better...or not?

Looks like it's lower than the SE and higher than the S line

Oh well looks like the grinder is coming out play...

My 8p2 S-Line is standard 225/35/R18

Reactions: Ron burgundy
8J ET43 I believe. Part number:8E0 601 025 AD

So not only a bigger offset, a wider wheel in itself.

Ah cool..nice one,

The steering feels a lot lighter with these wheels which is nice, it felt really heavy with the 17 inch sport rims

A4/A5 offset and width suit A3s much more than the standard size wheels.

You need to lower the car to see the improved look though, otherwise it all looks a bit 'moon buggy'

Reactions: Ron burgundy
A4/A5 offset and width suit A3s much more than the standard size wheels.

You need to lower the car to see the improved look though, otherwise it all looks a bit 'moon buggy'

Yeah I agree , I wasn't planning on doing anything to the car, but it does need to sit lower , so I guess I'll have to drop it a little, it's actually bugging me now...

I am about to change my Sport 17" wheels for 18" x 7.5J. Going to put 225/40/18 tyres on which, according to a wheel dimension calculator, will only increase the overall diameter by 1.5 mm. So I'm thinking that the change in ride height will be virtually unnoticeable.

I am about to change my Sport 17" wheels for 18" x 7.5J. Going to put 225/40/18 tyres on which, according to a wheel dimension calculator, will only increase the overall diameter by 1.5 mm. So I'm thinking that the change in ride height will be virtually unnoticeable.

I think that will still look high like mine..it's only the width that's different between mine and your wheels..

Ours are both 18inch with same 40 profile tyre unless I'm missing something :D

The fact that you've gone for 235 profile will give you a bigger overall diameter.

Oh really ... It confuses me to be fair, i didn't think having a wider rim would make a difference to the height..

But the sport suspension is apparently 10mm higher than the S line plus the 1.5mm increase , would that not still be similar to what mine looks like ?

If it's to do with the overall diameter again then I'm just going to keep quiet, I don't understand all that..ha

Mathematically but most low profile 225 are taller than they should be for comfort.

A 225 can measure 231 or 217 , so manufacturers are adjusting for lateral grip, rolling resistance and fuel economy.

Plus sizing = plus rising.

Mathematically but most low profile 225 are taller than they should be for comfort.

A 225 can measure 231 or 217 , so manufacturers are adjusting for lateral grip, rolling resistance and fuel economy.

Plus sizing = plus rising.

Does this mean that 225's would make my car look lower?

Keep your 235 40 as 225 40 could actually be the same hight as tyre manufacturers don't keep to a precise size .

So these calculators are just a guide.

Keep your 235 40 as 225 40 could actually be the same hight as tyre manufacturers don't keep to a precise size .

So these calculators are just a guide.

Yeah I'm not going to change them, they look nice, just need to lower the car a little...

Thanks

That 110% isn't the standard size for the 7.5J 18" Rims that Audi supply.

The ride is pretty bad with '40', '35' would be teeth chattering.

Well it is on the standard 18's that the car came with from factory, and 2 of the standard factory tyres are still on it - bridgestone potenzas in 225/35/R18. So why would Audi supply the wrong profile?

As for the ride quality, it is superior to the 17's that were on my 8p1 sport before!!!!

Well it is on the standard 18's that the car came with from factory, and 2 of the standard factory tyres are still on it - bridgestone potenzas in 225/35/R18. So why would Audi supply the wrong profile?

I guess they messed up.

You sure you're on the same factory tyres?? Six years is a long time for tyres to last.

Blooming hell, you certainly feel the bumps with these wheels compared to the 17s..prob get use to it, though I think im giving the car to the mrs soon if she's a good girl..

My old bmw with 18s was a lot more comfy on the bumps in the road and my old x5 4.8is with 20s on it didn't feel as bad..

Maybe it needs a coilover kit?

Its the wrong size, end of.

Factory cars were not sent out with these tyres, and if in the massively unlikely event they were, it should have been picked up at the PDI stage as being incorrect.

Either the above, or the dealer really needed to get rid of some tyres they've ordered in incorrectly, so shoved them on a car that was going out later that day.

Factory cars were not sent out with these tyres, and if in the massively unlikely event they were, it should have been picked up at the PDI stage as being incorrect.

Either the above, or the dealer really needed to get rid of some tyres they've ordered in incorrectly, so shoved them on a car that was going out later that day.

According to this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...0-bridgestone-potenza-re050a-factory-fit.html They are standard albiet not in that size?

I know full well that the Bridgestones were standard fitment from factory. But we're not on about that, we're on about the SIZE.

No car using this platform whether it be the VW Mk5 Hatch, Seat Leon, or Audi A3/S3 came with 225/35/R18 tyres on it from the factory.

225/40/R18s is where it's at. Bridgestones for the record were SH1T, and still are.

I physically work for the main dealers, I know!