My Audio Build Log

Sayam

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
so i thought i should do a little write up of my previous and current car audio. each to their own but i'm deffo a fan of SQ over SPL and i've only really met nigel from here but as a very small introduction i have a 170 TDi black edition, 5 door sportback with DSG and it's ibis white. nigel has done cruise control and bluetooth and hopefully a rain/light sensor package in the future, anyway here goes:

IMG 2615

my previous setup in my corolla. the windows cut out are larger than the amps cos i had diamond amps before but before i sold the car and stripped the stuff i was using those beautiful audio art amps. that setup consisted of alpine cde-9880r into a bit ten D, into a diamond 500.4 and diamond 1000.1, powering diamond hex pro components up front, jl TR coaxs in rear doors and that sub which is a hertz hx300.

IMG 1930

same setup as above but with the box taken out. that whole tray was on a hinge and with enough cable slack that you could lift and it had a leg to prop up so full access to spare wheel.

anyway sold that motor and bought the a3 and the below is all from the a3.

IMG 2920

my car is black edition and thats my factory blaupunkt, sorry i mean bose tweeter :p

IMG 2934

replaced with hertz mille tweeters, this is still unfinished and just hot glued into the car for now, the eventual plan is to go 3 way mille up front with customer a-pillar builds.

IMG 2935

those any my customer birch ply collars, sanded and varnished. the doors outer skin, inner skin and door card are all sound proofed with skinz deadening. there is skinz wave deflector behind the mid too that you cant see. not sure what it does but for the sake of £30 or whatever it costs we chucked it in there. those are my mille mids (6.5 inch).

IMG 2946

we removed the factory carpet panel, factory bose sub and made a customer fibre glass/birch ply enclosure with a 12" aperture.

IMG 2965

sub box finished and carpet for now. eventual plan is for the whole boot to be redone in grey alcantara along with the a-pillars.

IMG 3593

that left something like that.

IMG 3883

thats the other side where we also removed the factory carpet/plastic and made a customer panel. that is a voce 5.1k, above in the middle was my bit ten d and the mahoosive mille crossovers either side which we had to remove from the factory casings to get them to fit.

IMG 3592

thats with the custom panel over the top which tidys it nicely. along with the alcantara/3-way a pillars there will eventually be more windows/lighting but this is ok for now.

IMG 4034

recently replaced the bit ten d with a bit one.

IMG 4035

that's a little custom panel we threw together in my ash tray to house the bit one controller, the bit ten d controller was also located in the same place.

i don't have any pics on my phone but i no longer have that sub (hx300) i swapped to an audison av10 at the same time as swapping to the bit one.

full kit list:

audi rns-e glossy black into the bit one, into the 5.1k which runs the mille 2-way components up front and the sub. when i go 3-way i'll use the pure class A channels 1 and 2 for the midrange and highs and the mids will sit on the AB channels 3 and 4 and the sub will stay on the class D channel 5. rear doors are still running off stock bose amp and the bose speakers, when i get round to it i'm gonna chuck a little switch on the neg connection so i can turn the rear doors off and on at my discretion.

i've only got very basic crossover and time alignments settings and some EQ on the bit one at the moment, the car needs a full tuning session but because it is a daily driver and i work down south and live in yorkshire it's difficult to make time for everything hence why the audio is done is stages rather than all at once.

if anyone ever wants to come have a nosey or listen then bring some cds or your memory card and you are always always welcome to come mess with it. it is a work in progress but still sounds half decent, just hit me up in pm.

i'm by no means an expert but i know a little bit about a little bit when it comes to audio so any questions feel free to ask or any criticisms you may have throw them out, it might spark an idea in my head lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Reactions: NHN
Nice build, I have the Bit One in my setup. Any issues with yours? Mine can be occasionally temperamental.

I've just started building a Raspberry Pi FLAC player to feed the Bit One also so will keep track of this thread and keep you posted if you're interested.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397914213215794

My current av10 jus taken it with my phone.

Yes please keep it updated for me

& I can assure anyone reading, its an awesome sounding system :)

Hi yer Sayam

Nice install did you come across ignition noise by any chance ???

real problem in my install

Thanks Nigel.

What's the ignition noise? Not sure I understand what you mean to be honest

Hi yer Sayam

Alternator whine and clicking through the amps when you first start the engine ???????

fitted alternator suppressor to mine and used ferrites beads on mine but I'am putting 2 batteries in the back of mine lol

Hi guys can I ask if you have any Bluetooth problems? my factory Bluetooth use to be so good and since I added my custom stero its really poor sounding on the other end not my car end.

I added to 2 focal amps, Bit One, also running a RNSE LED & AMi
ive tried turning down mic sensitivity on thru vcds improved a little, but want it back like it use to be,