Custom exhaust option review

nothingness

Reaction score
Ok, Sorted out my exhaust, some tips below due to the PM's recieved about what I had done.. This is on a 8P2 Sportback S-Tronic 1.8t FSI - I would estimate that a 2.0t FSI and possibly an S3 would undergo the same effect.

• Removing resonator alone = a bit of nice drone on boost, vvvvv slightly louder at all other times. Not really worth it IMO and probably sounds like a resonated Milltek.

• Removing resonator and backbox = TOO LOUD. OTT. Worried about Police pulling you, sounds epic in tunnels, gives you headache and temporary tinnitus on any long journey.

• Removing backbox only - sounds good, a mellow slight drone, probably like an unresonated Milltek. Costs around £150 and your choice of exhaust tip(s). Also you get stainless tips as apposed to standard mild steel / rust magnet ones. A bit of a jekyll and Hide exhaust if you have S-Tronic as it shifts before its resonant frequency (around 2.5krpm). So now I have precat - CAT - centre silencer / resonator - straight pipe - tips.
    And it sounds great. Silent when bumbling around in D, sporty but not over the top when in Manual mode with the paddles. Popping and banging on upshifts and downshifts in M or S mode. Completely silent in N (great for freewheeling down my hill at 2am in the morning on the way back from a night out without annoying my neighbours).

I don't think it would be very sociable with a fully open DP. I am going to get a resonated DP with high flow cat I think.

Last edited:
good write up mate , i was wondering what to do with my 1.8tfsi. think I'm going to go for the back box delete too.

If you do be prepared, on boost it drones like mad... it was too much for me I was getting headaches.