Weird clicking from steering rack...?!

Mk1magic

Reaction score
Hi
know the title is a bit vague but my 04' a3 has developed a random click, happens around 1/4 turn and then again 3/4 turn... I've popped my head under the bonnet earlier with the better half rotating the wheel, I can feel the click but not really see anything? I'll be having a closer look sometime this weekend but was just wondering if any of you had experienced something similar?
cheers for reading
Arron

I had this on my 53 plate and now my 06. All once they went above 100,000 miles. I had mine in a garage this morning for a service and he checked it over, found some movement in a suspension joint at the front...the noise had got less since.

Hmm well I'm at 92k and don't really so many miles so don't fancy waiting until 100k lol I'll see if there is anything a miss this weekend :)

I had similar recently, but couldn't replicate it with the car stationary.

Found a tiny split in nearside outer CV boot and guessed it had lost its grease over time and got noisy. Got a great price on a preassembled driveshaft with both inner and outer joints, so just swapped the whole lot and noise has gone away.

Hmm don't like the sound of a dead diff :S I'll have a gander at the cv tomorrow