Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MxGaza33

Thread: GFB DV+ diverter valve - worth having?

Reverse Gear

Status

GFB DV+ diverter valve - worth having?

Considering this DV for my A3 2.0 TFSI 2007 S-line.
    Are they worth the £99 or should I just go for the cheaper rev D type?

thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    One of the best mods for under £100 you can do to the S3......I have one fitted to my S3 and have sold quite alot to the S3 fraternity on here. Boosts slightly quicker and holds boost easier and for longer. Alot of people think its the placebo effect but you can definately feel the difference in the way the S3 boosts. If you dont like it then sell it as someone will buy it.......no problem.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/VCDS/Wagner

5th Gear

Status
    Gets mixed reviews this... But i've driven stage 1 S3's with it and without and personally I think it makes a difference... No flat spot between gear shifts and exactly the reason I have 1 in mine
    Audi history... Brilliant Red 2.0tfsi Quattro, Sprint Blue S3...

1st Gear

Status
    Once again mixed reviews, I've tried ref d, gfb DV and the ref g and feel that the ref g suits me best.

The only down side to the ref g is the diagram splits, so may need checking every service.

When using the gfb DV my car was hesitating and not boosting correctly even after oiling it up to free the piston a little.

Cheers Dan
    Sprint Blue Audi S3, 8P s-tronic, Panoramic Roof.
    Stage 2 shark remap, Turbo back Miltek, Neu-speed intake.....322bhp.

Auto lights, Auto wipers, Dimming-Anti Dazzle folding mirrors, Electric & heated seats, Bi-Xenons, Hill Assist, Parking Ad, TV Head rest, RNS-E etc..................

Reverse Gear

Status
    OK all good advice. S3 cars are mentioned above but not A3's. Same comments apply to using in an A3?

Forge not mentioned so are these not liked or not as good?

1st Gear

Status
    The A3 is a more difficult proposition with any of the DVs as it is mounted on the turbo rather than round the front of the engine as on the S3. The top bolt is quite tricky, be sure you have slimline torx drivers and Allen keys before attempting anything regarding the DV+.
    I have the DV+ and it works very well. I fitted a new G revision to my son'sTT and in some ways regret it as eventually it will split. However the original was a none split G with 23k on the clock and so it should last fairly well. R- tech suggest the best boost comes from G but it is a service item with tuned engines. The Forge valve does away with the electronics actuating the valve and you have to install a vacuum pipe to actuate the valve. Fit a rev D if you want to forget about it but some leak from new around the piston and I have read that this might be the equivalent to a 6mm hole in the FMIC!!

1st Gear

Status
    I had problems with mine on my shark stage 3 S3 (now APR 2+). I'm not sure exactly what it was but it felt and sounded like compressor surge/stall when chopping the throttle on and off and back on again under heavy load, it was horrible so removed it straight away to prevent any damage.

Lots of people seem pleased with them though but wondering if they aren't suitable for the higher boost pressures required for stage 3/2+. I quizzed my local tuner when I had the APR map loaded on about it and he confirmed that he's seen the issue before and would steer clear. Oh and worth noting the Audi one's make some nice turbo sounds which I liked where as the DV+ didn't, so that depends on your preference!

Mine had the newer revision DV installed anyway so going back to the Audi one wasn't an issue.
    Last edited by MxGaza33; 1 Day Ago at 19:56.
    sabers likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    I had the Forge blow off kit onto my K03 A3... My advice, stay well clear... A bugger to fit and you'll hate it after a few months... The only thing is, where its located, you wont be assed removing it... Thats what happened to mine!

1st Gear

Status
    Id be interested in the gfb too. Have always used type d without any probs. my local has it instock but is it worth £100? GFB DV+ Diverter valve T9351 VAG 1.4, 1.8, 2.0, 2.5 TFSI TSI - FR&R Tuning| MAHA Dyno Rolling Road Tuning| Stage 1, 2 & 3 Engine Performance Upgrades
    Audi S3 2.0TFSI.. Milltek Turbo-Back Non-Res, ITG maxogen, THS FMIC, HPFP internals, Custom FR&RTuning dyno Software

Previous
    Audi S3 1.8T with the following mods: Milltek Cat Back Non Res exhaust, with THS Decat, Induction kit , Forge 007P Valve and Custom FR-RTuning Stage 2 Software..

2nd Gear

Status
    From what I have read the Ko3 love them the Ko4 are divided again its the D - G valves, personally I will get one.
    2006 8P Audi A3 2.0 TFSI Quattro Sportback SE / 2013 8V Audi A3 1.6 TDI Sportback

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by prt57 View Post
    The A3 is a more difficult proposition with any of the DVs as it is mounted on the turbo rather than round the front of the engine as on the S3. The top bolt is quite tricky, be sure you have slimline torx drivers and Allen keys before attempting anything regarding the DV+.
    I have the DV+ and it works very well. I fitted a new G revision to my son'sTT and in some ways regret it as eventually it will split. However the original was a none split G with 23k on the clock and so it should last fairly well. R- tech suggest the best boost comes from G but it is a service item with tuned engines. The Forge valve does away with the electronics actuating the valve and you have to install a vacuum pipe to actuate the valve. Fit a rev D if you want to forget about it but some leak from new around the piston and I have read that this might be the equivalent to a 6mm hole in the FMIC!!
    from what a remember r-tech are very funny about mapping cars with the DV+ , surely thats for a reason ?

5th Gear

Status
    So anyone thats had these fitted and experienced problems....

What exact issues have you had with them, boost issues!?

1st Gear

Status
    In my case it caused a sudden loss of power when quickly coming off the throttle and back on again under heavy load and WOT. This sounded like it was due to the turbo stalling which I can only put down to being the DV+ for some reason under those conditions not venting the boost pressure fast enough forcing the air back through the turbo when the throttle is closed suddenly (exactly what a DV is supposed to prevent).

I didn't keep it fitted long enough to consistently replicate the issue as it put me right off straight away!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MxGaza33 View Post
    In my case it caused a sudden loss of power when quickly coming off the throttle and back on again under heavy load and WOT. This sounded like it was due to the turbo stalling which I can only put down to being the DV+ for some reason under those conditions not venting the boost pressure fast enough forcing the air back through the turbo when the throttle is closed suddenly (exactly what a DV is supposed to prevent).

I didn't keep it fitted long enough to consistently replicate the issue as it put me right off straight away!
    Hmmm thats interesting... I felt mine was doing that woth the standard DV, when I fitted the DV+ I felt like it took that issue away.. Sometimes although very infrequent, I lift the throttle and the revs jam at 4k rpm only for a second tho.. Happens once in a Blue moon

Status

My Social Networking

I have heard of erratic boost that was put down to non lub'd piston as having metal to metal friction will cause this. After the piston was lubed then the problem disappeared.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/VCDS/Wagner

1st Gear

Status
    I took lots of time ensuring the piston was running up and down perfectly in the cylinder of the DV+ using a good coating of oil. I also gave the springs a good coating so that there's no friction build up anywhere in the unit. I have seen posts where some people lube the plunger and not the piston.
    User error has a lot to answer for in situations like this. When all else fails - read the instructions!!!

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by prt57 View Post
    I took lots of time ensuring the piston was running up and down perfectly in the cylinder of the DV+ using a good coating of oil. I also gave the springs a good coating so that there's no friction build up anywhere in the unit. I have seen posts where some people lube the plunger and not the piston.
    User error has a lot to answer for in situations like this. When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    Exactly..........Im sure the instructions actually have it in BOLD to lube the piston. lol