Doing first DIY oil change. WOOOOOOAH!

JJ.Foulds

Reaction score
So im going to do my first ever oil change! WOOOOAHHHH.
Im sure this is a standard thing to most but im ready for it!

Iv watched this video, and im just wondering if theres any tips or tricks to doing this smoothy or to watch out for.
iv got a socket set and torx so all should be good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp6yFmzwhEU

Thanks guys.

Video covers it all.
Have loads newspapers down to capture any spills.
Ensure oil is warm.
Only nip up the sump plug. New copper washer not needed.

Just done mine tonight after work, takes all of 15 min's really.

The only thing that he doesn't mention is that you need to check the final oil level when the car is on the ground not with the front raised. Do as it states stick 4.5 L in, run the car then top up when the car is on the floor.

If you are using a multi-viscosity oil, such as 10W40 for example, this indicates that the oil is more liquid at cold temperatures than it would be at the normal engine temperature of 90. I believe that it is then better to drain the old oil when it is cold, rather then when it is hot. Anyway, that is what I do. Some folk use a flushing (low viscosity) oil to clean out the engine before putting in the new. Have not tried this so far. Good luck.

Also, if you are changing oil filter, prepare for tons of oil to pour out even though you drained the sump.

If you are using a multi-viscosity oil, such as 10W40 for example, this indicates that the oil is more liquid at cold temperatures than it would be at the normal engine temperature of 90. I believe that it is then better to drain the old oil when it is cold, rather then when it is hot. Anyway, that is what I do. Some folk use a flushing (low viscosity) oil to clean out the engine before putting in the new. Have not tried this so far. Good luck.

10w40 means the oil is thickest when cold.

Definitely change the oil when it's warm, it doesn't flow as easily when cold, although I have done an oil change before with cold oil (on the assumption that as the engine has stood the oil has fully drained to the bottom) but it just didn't drain half as well out of the sump.

Definitely change the oil when it's warm, it doesn't flow as easily when cold, although I have done an oil change before with cold oil (on the assumption that as the engine has stood the oil has fully drained to the bottom) but it just didn't drain half as well out of the sump.

Shud i give it a good drive beforehand? or just run on idle?

Idle will be just fine. 5 mins. Then leave for a few mins so oil can settle.
If doing it on a drive or porous surface be sure to cover all areas with plastic sheet or 2 layers newspapers.