Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By S3Alex

Thread: Road Noise Tyre Choice

2nd Gear

Status

Road Noise Tyre Choice

My 8P sportback has a lot of road noise which is annoying my prev ED30 wasn't as bad and it ran on Michelins from memory. the 8P is running P-Zero's all round at the moment it's my first experience of these tyres are they known for road noise? anyone had this and found a better option or is it a trait of the audi's .
    2006 8P Audi A3 2.0 TFSI Quattro Sportback SE / 2013 8V Audi A3 1.6 TDI Sportback

2. # ADS
    ADS

Short Back

Status
    I've found that once tyres start to get below around 4mm the can get noisy. Using Eagle F1 Assy2 at the mo and they're fairly quiet on good surfaces.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Neutral

Status
    Bridgestone are noisier, My Pilot sport 3's are quieter, but still noisey depending on the road surface obviously...PS3 and F1 I think are similar in road tests

k

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Dunlops from memory are the quietest. They sit high in the price range with some of the big boys, so usually would get picked second, so people's experience is low.

Michelin PS3, Eagle F1's and Conti 5's are the common choice and all as good as each other.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

4th Gear

Status
    Go to somewhere like blackcircles.com & they'll give you the dB rating of each tyre (lower being better) I personally use Goodyear efficiency grip & compared to the Michelins I was running they are silent. As mentioned before, once they get past about 4mm they all tend to get a lot noisier anyway.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

5th Gear

Status
    On the slightly mid range end I just bought some falcons bloody good tyres I can't fault them easily stand up against some of the bigger brands although I admit the ps3 and f1 are an amazing tyre but at 90 quid a corner the falcons are great really grippy in all weather and the noise is very low.
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

1st Gear

Status
    I have toyo proxy tr1s on the back down to 4mm and it sound like both of my rear wheel bearings have gone!

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    The A3 is noisy by default for tyre noise. I've got Goodyear Assymetric 2 on and they are ok, but road noise is still marked. I don't know why Golf Mk5s seem to be inherently quieter as they are essentially the same car.

2nd Gear

Status
    Since I got my 4 wheel alignment done from wheels in motion my car is less noisey

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow PRCPTN On Twitter
    I have Yokohama Avid Envigor's on and the 2 on the back have cupped due to bad alignment....you have no idea what "noisy" is! LOL! Gonna replace them once I get coilovers on in a couple weeks.

Neutral

Status
    I recently swapped from Dunlop sport max to Pirelli p zeros and the pirellis are by far so much louder.

I wouldn't get p zeros again, that's for sure.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer361 View Post
    I have toyo proxy tr1s on the back down to 4mm and it sound like both of my rear wheel bearings have gone!
    I've used quite a few different tyres now,and the Michelin Supersports are probably the best all rounders I've tried.

Lots of grip,good in wet or dry conditions and very little road noise.

I also had Toyo R1Rs,which were pretty noisy,but nothing like as noisy as the R888s on the car now.....they buzz at certain speeds.