S3 front lower splitter-Black Edition

keendean

Reaction score
Has anyone tried gloss painting this them selves?
How much does the actual new part cost from the black edition?
Tia , Dean

Yeah there is a member on here with an Ibis white 8P who has theirs done gloss black, but I cant remember who. I think I remember them complaining about stone chips on it. Dunno about the genuine part.

Yeah there is a member on here with an Ibis white 8P who has theirs done gloss black, but I cant remember who. I think I remember them complaining about stone chips on it. Dunno about the genuine part.

That be me :)

Obviously an area that's prone to stone chips, so no matter the finish, generally it's screwed.

Definitely worth a DIY job, its not difficult, remove, rub with 'Brillo pad' or the like , ie create a key for the paint.

I primed it, then gloss blacked it about 6 times with thin coats.

Only have one picture of it when i first did it as light was rubbish, but when it was fresh it was very nice. In my build thread somewhere. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/169830-mikes-ibis-2012-s3.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: s3_trev
Dean, the black edition does not come with it in black, it's "platinum grey" so painting it black is the only option.

Plasti-Kote Super Multipurpose Spray Paint -Has any one used this?

Where do you source the black wrap from? Is it easy to apply? :)

Dean, the black edition does not come with it in black, it's "platinum grey" so painting it black is the only option.

Car Sales | Car Dealers | Bespoke Cars | 2009 Audi S3 Sportback - Black Edition - Car Sales | Car Dealers | Leeds | York | Bradford | Sheffield

This is why I thought the BE came with the front splitter painted. I've also bought the same matching fog light surrounds, I'll keep the mirrors silver though. I'm not sure on the gloss black alloys or not ?

I'm going to try the Plasti-K spray as a punt :)

Car Sales | Car Dealers | Bespoke Cars | 2009 Audi S3 Sportback - Black Edition - Car Sales | Car Dealers | Leeds | York | Bradford | Sheffield

This is why I thought the BE came with the front splitter painted. I've also bought the same matching fog light surrounds, I'll keep the mirrors silver though. I'm not sure on the gloss black alloys or not ?

Pretty sure that aint a BE.

The BE does not come with chrome rings on the fogs or the painted lower splitter, nor does it have the black roof (unless pana roof which that one dont have) and those are standard S3 wheels painted. I also THINK the BE only started in 2010 but could be wrong?

I'm guessing that's a standard S3 Sportback with some bits painted on it, looks really nice though with the exception of the black rear parking sensors...

You could get it professionally-wrapped at a local place to you, not sure on price but the workmanship and materials would be spot-on. Alternatively someone like these guys could supply the vinyl for you to try...
Automotive Films / Vehicle Wrap Vinyl | MDP Supplies

I had the splitter and fog grills sprayed to match the grill,had it for a year now and have had no stone chips so far :beerchug: .Think it looks pretty good especially if you have a lighter colored car . Excuse the millions of bugs on the front ,i just came back from Europe and it looks even worse on a white car .

Wdwd

I think the splitter in black looks loads better than the grey u get with BE.
I was tempted to get the rear splitter sprayed black when I got my rear bumper repaired.
Regretting it now seeing how good it looks in black 😳

I'm going to go rear Rs3 lower diffuser, and front gloss on the black. I can't decide what would be best for the front splitter, paint or vinyl..It's about the same price for both, I should be brave and try doing it myself, which in what case, vinyl may be a easier reversal process, if I go wrong.

I love the look of the front/rear splitters being gloss black... Except on a black car! Pity, it's a nice touch.