Knocking when turning

Djwoody

Reaction score
Hi.
My 2.0TDI has a slight knocking noise when turning the wheel. Most noticeable when turning to the right.
Could this be maybe a bearing or ball joint? Steering?

Regards
Chris

Funny I've just came on looking for this same issue, mines when turning continuously like when turning onto a driveway slowly. Mines lowered if that helps.

Funny I've just came on looking for this same issue, mines when turning continuously like when turning onto a driveway slowly. Mines lowered if that helps.

That's exactly what mine is like.
Noticed it the other day when slowly turning onto the drive. It does it all the time though, you can hear it when turning round a corner slowly.
I have Eibach sportlines on mine but don't think that will make any difference.

Same problem here as well. There seems to be no noise outside the car when the wheel is turned, it just seems to come from behind the steering wheel.

Same problem here as well. There seems to be no noise outside the car when the wheel is turned, it just seems to come from behind the steering wheel.

There must be an epidemic of the phantom knocking. Hmmmm....

Any experts on here?

Yes it could be any joint on the suspension/strut lower arm

Where is the knocking coming from?

I did some reading when I first brought mine and it seems it's the top of the steering rack. Some people took it back to the dealership and had it replaced on warranty and others have just left it as it had no effect on the vehical, just an annoying knocking noise.

The front ARB may hit the control arm when lowered. This is a known issue and if this is the case with you, than you need adjustable tie rods.
Other possible reasons:
- the bracket/s that are holding the front ARB in place are loosen
- the ARB bushes are worn
- the tie-rods are worn
- the steering rack has a problem
- the top mounts are worn
- the bearings are worn
- the drive shaft/s joint/s are worn

May be some other causes but these are the most frequent.

The front ARB may hit the control arm when lowered. This is a known issue and if this is the case with you, than you need adjustable tie rods.
Other possible reasons:
- the bracket/s that are holding the front ARB in place are loosen
- the ARB bushes are worn
- the tie-rods are worn
- the steering rack has a problem
- the top mounts are worn
- the bearings are worn
- the drive shaft/s joint/s are worn

May be some other causes but these are the most frequent.

Many thanks for that, some good options there.

I had the same on my A3..... it was the steering rack. If the noise is coming from anywhere within your rack then its a replacement job. Mine had to be replaced (car had done less than 40k miles), luckily under warranty... otherwise its almost a grand fitted if my memory is any good.

Audi do offer a small (£100-£200) discount on the new rack if you trade in your faulty one.

Hope it isn't that then! Fingers crossed it's something simple and cheap.

Try to remove the tie rods from both sides, leaving the ARB free. Than, with the engine on, move the wheels. If there is no knocking than you're closer to the source. Either the tie rods are worn or the bushes/brackets are worn/moving.
If you still have the knocking with the ARB disconnected, than you may have to check the steering rack.

Also try and check if there are any marks on the ARB, this would be a sign that it is hitting the arm.

That's exactly what mine is like.
Noticed it the other day when slowly turning onto the drive. It does it all the time though, you can hear it when turning round a corner slowly.
I have Eibach sportlines on mine but don't think that will make any difference.

Well i also have Eibach Sportlines! About 18 month old. I used to have issues with the spring turning slightly when i first fitted them. I've just had my car serviced and thats when it's appeared since. I wonder if they've disturbed how the springs seated if it's been on a lift or something. I haven't investigated yet but i will be at the weekend.

Maybe that's what it is then. If you could investigate and let me know that would be great :)