• 1 Post By SmithyAG
  • 1 Post By SmithyAG
  • 1 Post By tdi-man

Thread: A3 2.0tdi Advice

Neutral

Status

A3 2.0tdi Advice

Hey guys,
    Just been to take a look at a 2005 facelift A3 2.0tdi 138 Sport Sportback and it does seem like a nice car, but it has a few problems that maybe you could give me some advice on before purchasing.

There is a creaking noise from the drivers side front suspension on sharp turning. I checked it whilst stationary, and it looks like the spring moves in the suspension when full locking left or right and the top mount twists a little?

The car also has a warm start problem, where it takes the engine a few turns to start only when warm?

I had the car running for ten minutes after a short blast down the road and the engine fan kept kicking in? The temp gauge did not go above 90 half way though and stayed normal.

Does anyone know what these are likely to be? And a rough estimate of cost? (UK)

There are no warning lights on the dash, the car drives really nice, recent tyres and service, new gearbox and clutch last month, bodywork and paint in near mint condition and the car is at a good price.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    warm start fault is normal on these engines but can be mapped out.

creaking noise might be suspension mount

get code read with vcds to check for faults with fan
    MojA3 likes this.
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)

Neutral

Status
    creaking will be the top mount my taxis have all done it . he sharran I owned on 270k and the octavias and my caddy just started to on 97k
    MojA3 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks guys.

I have had a bit of a search, do you think the warm start can be fixed by fitting a new starter motor or battery? That seems like a common fault from the search.

Neutral

Status
    The car has had a new clutch flywheel etc recently too. Maybe the mechanic hasnt tightened the starter motor electrics properly?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MojA3 View Post
    The car has had a new clutch flywheel etc recently too. Maybe the mechanic hasnt tightened the starter motor electrics properly?
    No it's gotta be changed within the ecu, it's a fault where the car doesn't inject as much fuel when it's warm compared to when cold, which can be changed within a remap, it's nothing to worry about though all the early tdi's do it.
    Westy and MojA3 like this.

Neutral

Status
    Does anyone know if this is the right top mount bearing for my 2005 facelift 2.0tdi?

http://bit.ly/1kvcyfM

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by welshd1k View Post
    creaking will be the top mount my taxis have all done it . he sharran I owned on 270k and the octavias and my caddy just started to on 97k
    You were right. Jacked the car up and the top mount bearing has broken in half and hanging around the suspension leg.

£9 for a new bearing.

Reverse Gear

Status

Car sounded like this, this morning sitting at 86k timing belt replaced at 56k goes away after 3 minutes need help

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow SmithyAG On Twitter
    Warm start will be fixed with a new starter motor, but only until the starter gets a bit worn, and then you will have the same problem.

Easiest fix is a software edit (map) to correct fuelling on warm starts, as mentioned by smurfworth.
    MojA3 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithyAG View Post
    Warm start will be fixed with a new starter motor, but only until the starter gets a bit worn, and then you will have the same problem.

Easiest fix is a software edit (map) to correct fuelling on warm starts, as mentioned by smurfworth.
    Thanks.

I did notice that when starting the car in the day with no electrics on it starts fine, but as soon as i put the Auto lights on, climate, stereo and start it, the dash lights dim and its a bit of a struggle to start.

I know the starter motor is the most common problem, but do you think in this case it could be the battery?

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Could be, if it starts hot or cold fine with no electrics on then it should be battery.

As smurfworth said, the issue with hot starts is the ecu doesn't inject fuel until the engine is spinning above 280rpm (IIRC), which the starter takes a couple of spins to get to. When cold fuel is injected straight away to aid starting.

So if it is the hot start problem then it will happen regardless of what electrics you have on.
    MojA3 likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi MojA3,

I am also planning to buy similar car and it has done 90k miles. timebelt is changed at 68k and has full service history. Clutch is not changed and I am finding a slight shudder now and then when the car is idle. Rest of the things looks fine.

How much did you paid the price for it in UK? For me the deal was for 5000£ and I am negotiating, appreciate your suggestion?

Thanks
    Raz

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Slight shudder on idle is normal and is just how some of the TDI's run. I wouldn't expect it to be clutch or flywheel, as its more of a constant shake when its either of those.

For whats its worth my original clutch and flywheel are 10 years old this year and on 116k, no signs of slip or shaking from them yet.

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Had 2 customers cars that shuddered.....1 wasnt that bad and the other was horrendous as you could feel it going right through the car. Turns out both had failing EGR valves and the shuddering was the butterfly valve chattering within the housing. Both were removed and cleaned and bingo no more shuddering.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by razab View Post
    Hi MojA3,

I am also planning to buy similar car and it has done 90k miles. timebelt is changed at 68k and has full service history. Clutch is not changed and I am finding a slight shudder now and then when the car is idle. Rest of the things looks fine.

How much did you paid the price for it in UK? For me the deal was for 5000£ and I am negotiating, appreciate your suggestion?

Thanks
    Raz
    Hi Raz,
    Does it change if you press the clutch in?

I paid £3000. It is a 2005 A3 2.0tdi Sport 140 Sportback.

Neutral

Status
    Does anyone know what spline tools i need and sizes to remove the suspension?

I removed the wheel and WD40'd the areas and bolts that will be removed. I have the top mount bearing and spring compressors, but need the correct spline tools as the bolts spin without using them.

Theres one size for the bar that mounts on the suspension leg.

One for the bottom suspension leg mount.

And one for the top strut.

I found out why the engine fan was kicking in. I had the climate on! Eco switches it off if i am correct and it has stopped.

Also, i think i need a new starter motor. I let the wife have a driving lesson and she stalled it and it wouldn't start. It was like the battery was nearly dead. Although i waited five minutes and it started up again. (hot starter motor) ?

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Sounds about right, if it starts fine when cold and not when hot then start with starter motor or have it mapped out of the software.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi MojA3,

That is very good price you got it for. Mine is similar after a hard negotiation got it for 4200£. How much mileage was on yours?

No difference even I press clutch down. I observed this vibration only when I stop at signals.

I have booked for complimentary Audi health check tomorrow not sure whether they will check all the issues.

Anyone based in Solihull who can have a quick look and suggest me as I am new to cars?

Neutral

Status
    124k miles on this one. If it helps, my car also has a slight idle shudder. Does you rev counter fluctuate whilst idling?

Reverse Gear

Status
    No rev counter doesn't fluctuate. Hope it is normal as others are suggesting

Neutral

Status
    Im going to clean my MAF Sensor and see if that cures my idle shudder.

Neutral

Status
    Strange the car doesnt fluctuate when cold, only when warm?

6th Gear

Status
    try turning tick over down to 820 rpm to cure idle

worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by MojA3 View Post
    124k miles on this one. If it helps, my car also has a slight idle shudder. Does you rev counter fluctuate whilst idling?
    MojA3 likes this.
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)

Neutral

Status
    Ok, i managed to replace the top mount bearing and also found the spring was broken too.

Picked up a new bearing for £9 and used Sport spring for £15. £24 to repair, lol.

Now, i have a few other things that i need to look at.

Glovebox light - it looks like the piston arm has broken and from research it is a common problem. Is there a way of fixing the arm?

Fix Rear wiper - The rear wiper does not work. The rear water spray works if i remember right. Fuse looks fine?

Fix Rear parking sensor - when the car is put into reverse gear, there is a few seconds beep although reversing near anything there is no warning. I think once, it worked so could it be a loose sensor wire on the rear bumper?

Rough idle - the car seems to vibrate a little only when the engine is warm. The rev needle does not fluctuate, but you can see and feel the steering wheel vibrate

Starting problem - ok, so the common fault is the starter motor, but i am not so sure with this car. Cold engine no electronics on and it starts fine, leave the car sitting for a few days unused and the battery will be dead. When the car is warm and i try to start it, i have to put my foot on the gas a little to get it going. If i don't, the battery gives up within a few seconds and seems dead. There seems to be a rattly noise from the alternator. Can a seized alternator pulley cause the alternator not to charge the battery properly?

Cheers.

Neutral

Status

A3 2.0tdi Advice

Ok, checked the battery with a multimeter.

12.62v when engine off
    14.29v when engine on
    14.07v when lights/aircon/stereo on

So it looks like the battery and alternator are fine.

Suspect starter motor that is also causing a dead battery after a week of non use?
    Last edited by MojA3; 2nd May 2014 at 21:46.

Neutral

Status

A3 2.0tdi Advice

Battery when engine off ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399063317.788724.jpg

Battery when engine running ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399063357.430476.jpg

Battery when engine running and aircon/lights/stereo are on ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399063386.445488.jpg

The battery tester on top of the battery is black though and not green?

I checked out the rear sensors. The passenger side corner one is not making a ticking noise in reverse.

How do the sensors come out? I can reach behind, but it is caked in dried mud atm. Does it twist and pull out?

Also, is it easy to delete the EGR on this engine? I know the warning light needs to be mapped out. Is it just a blanking plate on this engine?