A year old ............

steeve

Reaction score
Well the A3 is a year old tomorrow. I must be unusual reading the other posts, but I havent had one problem. It hasnt been to the Dealers since I picked it up on March the 4th last year. However I dont do a huge amount of miles, 7,400 so far....

Overall I am delighted with it, its quiet, very comfortable, reasonably quick and attracts no attention at all (after a bright blue STI thats a bonus). Its always started first time looks great and handles well.
I havent even had to add any oil, its still on the full mark, even though it often gets driven hard. Just had to change the remote battery and thats it. Not sure how long I'll keep it but it could be a while, which is unusual for me.
STEVE..................... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

congratulations!

There must be something about Audi - Those who've had no problems love their cars.. but mostly, those who have had problems still love their cars too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Except Bowfer, but I suspect a whip round amongst us all, to get his car changed for a manual one would solve that problem quite nicely!

Eh Bowf?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Mines a year old on the 8th. I'm going to treat it to a new windscreen as a b'day present /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mines got a rattle from the suspension and the damping's no loinger working on the glove box but that failed after Claire borrowed the car to go shopping... coincidence? I think not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I've done just over 20K in the year, it used about half a litre of oil in the first 16K.

Very happy with my purcahse.

J.

[ QUOTE ]
congratulations!

There must be something about Audi - Those who've had no problems love their cars.. but mostly, those who have had problems still love their cars too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Except Bowfer, but I suspect a whip round amongst us all, to get his car changed for a manual one would solve that problem quite nicely!

Eh Bowf?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine must be a year old soon.

My how time flies when you're constantly visiting the dealer..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyhoo,should I be so lucky as to find some mug (I mean lucky so and so) willing to take my car off me,my choice of next car is confusing me.

It certainly won't be an A3,but I can't discount Audi altogether,as the recent weather has shown me that 4wd is absolutely magic,even if it is for a tiny proportion of the year.

So I might be forced to stick with Audi,but it goes without saying that the mere mention of DSG (Distinctly S*** Gearbox) will bring me out in palpitations.

I would venture an A4 S-line Avant quattro next,with the stunning looking two-tone grey/black leather seats I've seen pictured on the A4 forum.

Nicest interior I've seen on a motor for yonks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

60fo.jpg

You'll be quite safe Bowfer. The A3 is the only model that has the DSG available - the only one with a transverse engine. Mind you, have you considered the multitronic - than would probably make even you like a DSG !

No perhaps not - better to stick to a manual.

Mines a year old on the 14th... I might even treat it too a propper wash and wax and give the interior a proper clean these winter months have been difficult to to keep it looking clean.... Must agree tho I'm happy with the purchase not too many problems, even to some seem to be developing and I've just hit 14,000 this morning.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all March 2005 05 Plate A3's!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[ QUOTE ]
the recent weather has shown me that 4wd is absolutely magic,even if it is for a tiny proportion of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the rumours of constant rain in Scotland a myth then...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I anticipate my 4wd coming in handy long in to the summer here in the South - especially during Wimbledon fortnight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the recent weather has shown me that 4wd is absolutely magic,even if it is for a tiny proportion of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the rumours of constant rain in Scotland a myth then...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually,statistically,Aberdeen does alright for rainfall.

I've yet to own a quattro,but I would still question the need for it in anything other than snow,in which case it becomes the best thing since webcams in a female dorm.

I certainly don't have any traction problems with 2wd,outwith snow.

[ QUOTE ]
I would still question the need for it in anything other than snow

[/ QUOTE ]

Try planting 250bhp through just the front wheels and tell me you don't need 4 wheel drive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bowfer - didnt you say not so long ago that you couldnt see the point in 4 wheel drive in a car without enough power?!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the rumours of constant rain in Scotland a myth then...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually,statistically,Aberdeen does alright for rainfall.

I've yet to own a quattro,but I would still question the need for it in anything other than snow,in which case it becomes the best thing since webcams in a female dorm.

I certainly don't have any traction problems with 2wd,outwith snow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowfer, get a quattro mate - you'll love it! I don't think I could ever buy a car without it now that I'm used to it. I drive a 2WD golf TDi PD every day for work, and struggle to get the power down most times without spin. As soon as I get into the S3 I have no issues - whether wet or dry (or snow) in getting any amount of power down I want to. The 4WD is awesome, it just gives so much confidence every time you drive it.

And the ability to floor it out of the corners makes me smile every time. The car just feels so much better to drive and feels like its never going to leave the road (Doh!).

My 2p........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris.

My Sportback must be one of the elders then - it's been on the road 16 months! Well, we did order it on the launch weekend I suppose ...

My wife and I are expecting our first child in August, so our SE is definitely staying. It would be nice to change as I usually get bored of running the same car for more than two years, but to be honest the Sportback has been so solid and reliable there's little chance we'd change it now.

[ QUOTE ]
You'll be quite safe Bowfer. The A3 is the only model that has the DSG available - the only one with a transverse engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apart from the 3.2 TT I guess......

Mine was 1 on the 1st March. Its my third A3 (started with a 1.6 Sport in 1998, then a 1.8TQ in 2001). Have to say that this one is the best so far. Ok so I have gone overboard with the options to make it a better car.

Got another two years before its due for a change (and hopefully a decent pay hike in that time) so who knows what's next but I don't think that the next two years motoring will be boring.

Mine is 17 months, took delivery on the 27/09/04.

Have had no major problems except a cracked catalytic converter (replaced under warranty).

Great Car to drive!

Cheers guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mine was 17 months old and had done 23k carefree miles when the "old" girl got traded in on Thursday

Used 3 lts of Oil in that time but apart from that completely trouble free motoring.

Can only say I was, and will hopefully continue to be delighted with my Sportback.

On the other discussion of Quattro, that will be my next purchase possibly as I discussed with my partner when we picked up the new motor, much to her amusement that I'd already chosen my next car all be in in 2 years time

Mine is a year old too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bowfer - didnt you say not so long ago that you couldnt see the point in 4 wheel drive in a car without enough power?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Outwith snow I still stand by that statement.

In snow,quattro would be superb even with 60bhp.

Outwith snow,no need for it unless you have well over 200bhp,in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Outwith snow I still stand by that statement.

In snow,quattro would be superb even with 60bhp.

Outwith snow,no need for it unless you have well over 200bhp,in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are other occasions where Quattro is an absolute blessing. Where I live (SE London/ North Kent borders) traffic can sometimes be incessant & impatient drivers rarely let you in or leave much of a gap to drive into. The ability to accelerate out of a junction at full throttle without wheelspin or torque-steer, regardless of the road surface or weather conditions, means that I can overcome that.

Forget top speed & zero to 60 times Where I live, the most important performance statistic is zero to three car lengths out of a t-junction. Quattro rocks!