Which Engine

15Degrees

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I want to look at normalising my engine bay somewhat to make it easier to source parts in a hurry.

So based on the following what base engine type and code would you go for please to achieve 270hp at wheels. It needs to be perky :)

Audi A3 8P

1. I need 270hp exactly at the front wheels
2. It needs to fit an Audi 6 speed quattro manual gearbox
3. What turbo and manifold
4. What exhaust system
5. What inlet manifold
6. What intercooler (I might be able to get my Spec R to fit
7. What cams to reach 270hp off the base engine
8. What rad (again I might be able to get my Spec R to fit)
9. What pistons if needed to upgrade

Spec away as money is not an issue

PS
I have a spare CDL engine in my garage, would that do as a starting point?

Cheers
Mark..

Hi Mark,

Sorry I wasn't much help with part numbers etc,and I'm sure someone here will have all the numbers you need.

The K04 is good for up to 360bhp,so that may be a decent starting point,but perhaps a GTX 2867 may fit your needs better,if you plan to track the car.

All of the aftermarket exhaust companies such as Scorpion and Milltek will build pretty much whatever you require,and if you don't need or want your Spec-R intercooler,I'd suggest giving ProAlloy a call.
They can do custom work as well as off the shelf fits.

Hi Mark,

Sorry I wasn't much help with part numbers etc,and I'm sure someone here will have all the numbers you need.

The K04 is good for up to 360bhp,so that may be a decent starting point,but perhaps a GTX 2867 may fit your needs better,if you plan to track the car.

All of the aftermarket exhaust companies such as Scorpion and Milltek will build pretty much whatever you require,and if you don't need or want your Spec-R intercooler,I'd suggest giving ProAlloy a call.
They can do custom work as well as off the shelf fits.

Which base engine though Alex?

CDL
2.0 Tfsi BWA?

I think the 2.0Tfsi is around 200 standard isnt it so perhaps CDl is a better starting point for my needs?

etc etc

I would try and source an S3 engine as a base to start with to be honest fella. They're stronger than the 200hp TFSi variants.

From what I understand/have read, they use a 21mm gudgeon pin (lesser TFSi's use 20mm). The pistons stand the abuse better whereas I have read about BWA's cracking the piston rings landings when tuned, though that may only be in very highly boosted set ups I'm not sure.

I'd be tempted for a S3 K04 hybrid too. Can flow enough up top for the power you need and will also spool at low rpm to give a nice broad torque band for pulling you out of slower corners.

I would try and source an S3 engine as a base to start with to be honest fella. They're stronger than the 200hp TFSi variants.

From what I understand/have read, they use a 21mm gudgeon pin (lesser TFSi's use 20mm). The pistons stand the abuse better whereas I have read about BWA's cracking the piston rings landings when tuned, though that may only be in very highly boosted set ups I'm not sure.

I'd be tempted for a S3 K04 hybrid too. Can flow enough up top for the power you need and will also spool at low rpm to give a nice broad torque band for pulling you out of slower corners.

Hi Lewis

Which engine code is that?

Cheers
Mark.

The engine in my s3 has CDL code. If that helps.

The engine in my s3 has CDL code. If that helps.

Ok im looking at CDL engnes now. Question. Will my helix flywheel and clutch fit? Do the BWA cranks have the same hole spacing as the CDL engine crank?

Not sure mate. As for clutch if its 2.0tfsi 200bhp then i guess it should fit, as my mate has the same clutch as me in his mkv.
don't know for the crank..

Ok ive gone for the CDL engine. The thing is I seem to be struggling to find an exhaust manifold and turbo. I need the following as these are missing

Turbo (K04) I guess
Exhaust manifold
Oil filter housing
Downpipe 3"
Turbo oiling pipe
Turbo water pipe

Some re routing of pipes to get it to fit my top mounted Spec R intercooler

Are there any links for these items? I have searched and searched for S3 exhaust manifold and turbo and cant find anything at all which I find odd.

Cheers
Mark.

You could try Statller in sheffield ,i know they have done a few big turbo conversion lately so they might be able to see if the original owners want to sell the turbos

Reactions: 15Degrees
Update

I cant use the CDL engine LOL I spoke to jaba sport and my MOTEC wont be able to control direct injection. He recomended a BAM engine with an upgraded turbo for 335 at the fly. I need 270 at the wheels. So im looking at that option now.

Update

I cant use the CDL engine LOL I spoke to jaba sport and my MOTEC wont be able to control direct injection. He recomended a BAM engine with an upgraded turbo for 335 at the fly. I need 270 at the wheels. So im looking at that option now.

Isn't the BAM the 1.8t ? I'll swap you my BWA for your CDL+K04 lol

Cant use that buddy as it's also direct injection. My MOTEC M400 can only handle port injection. MOTEC do a new ECU called the M1 but thats 4 grand :)

I have specced up a BAM engine now by drooling over the parts on the Bar Tek website (not sure if there is a UK equivalent site). Lots of options for big a Power BAM on there even going stroker if you want 2.2litre. I only need 270 at wheels so im not asking much from it to be honest. I could probably just do the following on a totally standard BAM and be ok

Rods
Upgraded IHI Subuaru turbo with mani
Downpipe to match
Map it

The trouble is I have this illness and I start looking at those pages and can't help myself but think oh I NEED that and I NEED that too and I would be silly not to have that, yes just silly and before you know it I have a 5 grand engine build ROFL

Reactions: S3Alex
Would you buy this?

1.8t 20v turbo engine agu | eBay

Saves me a bit of work buying a short block like that to be honest. But AGU was only rated for 150hp so is it as strong as BAM when you get down to it?

Cheers
Mark

Last edited: