spring compressor for front coilovers?

JJ.Foulds

Reaction score
basically as the title says, do i need a spring compressor to change to front coilovers.?

The backs are done without and was just wondering after watching the MCM video lol.

Thanks, Jon.

If ur taking your top mounts off your standard shocks and springs then yes

If you've got new top mounts then you should be able to wind the coilovers all the way down and easily attach the top mount without having to compress the spring.

If ur taking your top mounts off your standard shocks and springs then yes

If you've got new top mounts then you should be able to wind the coilovers all the way down and easily attach the top mount without having to compress the spring.

Ahh, thanks for that, i dont have new top mounts so DAM IT lol....

You can get them for a tenner last I knew, and an impact gun is a life saver if you don't already have one

Makes taking the top mount nut off so much easier, unless you've got a deep ring spanner and Allen key. Also undoing the drop link nuts otherwise they just spin without undoing.

I changed top mounts on my S3 at the weekend and didn't require spring compressors.
Most vag cars I've done don't need them as there's only a little tension on them and can be pushed down by hand.

well, if you loose an eye, or maybe your face by taking that advise then unlucky.

when we removed my top mounts the spring is compressed by a good inch.

Considering I've been a mechanic for 20 years and done hundreds I'd say its safe.
Let people make there own mind up but I wouldn't post it if someone' was going to get hurt.

Its fair enough, but the way you do it will be different to the way someone else does it.

Considering we live in a day and age where people can't even sit on a chair properly without being injured id say you could never be too cautious.

ask yourself is it worth not paying a tenner and maybe loosing an eye or part of your face.

I do agree with you to an extent.
If your familiar with the product and your abilities then it can be done quite easily without any compressors but if your not confident always be safe.
Wasn't trying to start an argument just the way I do them.

Most likely possible without a spring compressor as Marshy said. However if the OP hasn't done it before and wants to be sure nothing is going to ping off, I'd get some just for piece of mind!

Oh yeah, wasn't trying to cause an argument either, probably sounded like it as usual though ha

if your gonna try it without them, then id watch this first

Last edited by a moderator: