Sticky 1st gear issue

wuta3

Reaction score
Hello people, (06 2.0T quattro, 6 speed manual)

Have an issue: getting out of 1st is very stiff. Feels like I need to let the revs drop to find 2nd. 2nd->1st stubborn unless at an absolute standstill. Worse on a cold start then eases up a bit.

Thoughts? Only had a new Sachs clutch in a few thousand miles ago. Syncro maybe? Anyone else had similar issues?

Cheers!

Synchro and selector wear are known issues,but the only way to find out is to have the box stripped down.

Mine had both problems,and since a rebuild 30 000 miles ago,it's been fine.

Synchro and selector wear are known issues,but the only way to find out is to have the box stripped down.

Mine had both problems,and since a rebuild 30 000 miles ago,it's been fine.

Yea that's what I was thinking. Could really be doing without it atm. About to tip over 70k :(

Yea that's what I was thinking. Could really be doing without it atm. About to tip over 70k :(

Mine had a bit of a whine in the box(!) from new,which I really didn't think much of having come from a straight cut box before,but when it was stripped down,there was moderate bearing wear,and the synchros on most of the gears were worn,plus the selector forks.

The good side was a full rebuild was "only" £800,which was way less than I'd expected.

When the box was out recently for the diff to be fitted,everything was looking good,including the gears themselves.

Mine had a bit of a whine in the box(!) from new,which I really didn't think much of having come from a straight cut box before,but when it was stripped down,there was moderate bearing wear,and the synchros on most of the gears were worn,plus the selector forks.

The good side was a full rebuild was "only" £800,which was way less than I'd expected.

When the box was out recently for the diff to be fitted,everything was looking good,including the gears themselves.

Yea got no whine, the only other issue I have in that area is the clutch is a bit grabby when changing down causing a bit of front-end movement/harshness but I suspect that's just engine/gb mounts need doing. Still, £800 is a ***** atm in context with every other thing breaking down atm. Seems to come all at once.

Yea got no whine, the only other issue I have in that area is the clutch is a bit grabby when changing down causing a bit of front-end movement/harshness but I suspect that's just engine/gb mounts need doing. Still, £800 is a ***** atm in context with every other thing breaking down atm. Seems to come all at once.

Usually does all seem to come at once unfortunately.

The grabbing is probably as much a product of the friction material as much as anything else,and may well improve as it beds in,but uprating the mounts may help.

Usually does all seem to come at once unfortunately.

The grabbing is probably as much a product of the friction material as much as anything else,and may well improve as it beds in,but uprating the mounts may help..

The grab aint too much of an issue, the clunk/shifting of mass in the engine bay is a bit grim tho. First things first. At this rate, my Stage2+ map isn't gonna happen with everything else going south :(

The grab aint too much of an issue, the clunk/shifting of mass in the engine bay is a bit grim tho. First things first. At this rate, my Stage2+ map isn't gonna happen with everything else going south :(

Clunking and shifting is definitely down to the mounts,and they do get a bit tired at Stg2+