Service Due - Need Help to Understand Why

yass247

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, and I'm really hoping someone can help explain why my 2011 S3 is showing as "service due". I've phoned two different Audi dealers and got two different answers. I'd like to understand the servicing better so I don't get ripped off.

The car turned three years old this month and has done about 28,000 miles. I bought the car about six months ago and was given a print out of the service history. It states that the current service regime is "New Longlife". It had an oil change June 2013 at 24,000 miles. It had an inspection service August 2012 at 15,000 miles. When I turn on the ignition it now states that the service is due, but I'm not sure why. I checked the DIS a few weeks ago and it showed:

Oil change in 6100 miles, 99 days
Service in 15700 miles, 9 days

I guess the 9 days has counted down to zero and that's why it states service due, but I don't understand it. It's been 19 months since the last inspection service, so if it's time based, why would it show up now as service due? I could understand it if it was 24 months, but it's not. The other weird thing is that the DIS now shows "service in 100 miles". How has it gone from 15700 miles to only 100 miles in a few weeks when the car has only done 200 miles in that time?

I'm very confused and would really appreciate any comments.

Regards,

Chris

I had a few problems with the Long Service Interval thing on mine,and a few hiccups with the indications the DIS was giving,so firstly I don't think the thing is infallible.

One other thing,is a look at the oil coming out of the car at it's first service convinced me that it wasn't a good thing.

Mine has oil changes every 10 000 miles max.

Reactions: s3_trev
Ditch the long life service, and change the oil /service every 10K miles or 1 year.

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, and I'm really hoping someone can help explain why my 2011 S3 is showing as "service due". I've phoned two different Audi dealers and got two different answers. I'd like to understand the servicing better so I don't get ripped off.

The car turned three years old this month and has done about 28,000 miles. I bought the car about six months ago and was given a print out of the service history. It states that the current service regime is "New Longlife". It had an oil change June 2013 at 24,000 miles. It had an inspection service August 2012 at 15,000 miles. When I turn on the ignition it now states that the service is due, but I'm not sure why. I checked the DIS a few weeks ago and it showed:

Oil change in 6100 miles, 99 days

I guess the 9 days has counted down to zero and that's why it states service due, but I don't understand it. It's been 19 months since the last inspection service, so if it's time based, why would it show up now as service due? I could understand it if it was 24 months, but it's not. The other weird thing is that the DIS now shows "service in 100 miles". How has it gone from 15700 miles to only 100 miles in a few weeks when the car has only done 200 miles in that time?

I'm very confused and would really appreciate any comments.

Regards,

Chris

Without realising you've answered your own question.

In your post above you stated

That was a few weeks ago. So for the above ready your service is due in 9 days or 15,700 miles whichever is sooner. Try to separate mileage from time or the number of days and then it becomes easier to understand.

So if you only do say 1,000 miles in 99 days your oil change won't be due till 99 days. If you happen to do 6,100 miles in 60 days then it will be due in 60 days and not 99 days as it originally indicated. Hopefully that makes sense and hasn't confused you further. :p

If you are going to disrepect your wonderful s3, i am going to reposess it from you and bring it with me to the USA. Please respect your motor and change your oil BEFORE 10,000 miles.

As has been stated 10,000 miles max. pluves1 explained that well. Another relevant bit of info for anyone that doesnt know, is that you can use VCDS to change the min and max parameters for the DIS to tell you that you need a service. Also - anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but its not JUST miles or time, its also how many cold starts etc etc as well, that the ECU takes into account when determining when a service is due. Id actually love to know just how many factors, besides miles and time, that determine the DIS saying a service is due.

You are correct it does take into account other factors IF you have it set to a flexible interval. You can also set a fixed interval which is straight up miles and time. I believe on ross-techs website it may explain which factors it considers for flexible intervals.

Reactions: s3_trev
Hi all,

Thanks very much for the comments. Firstly, it sounds like I should get Audi to change it over to fixed interval servicing, especially as I'm still a bit confused with the long life option. I guess what I still don't understand is how it counts down the days until the next service is due. Is it fixed or variable? What I mean is, does it always count down one day at a time, or can it change depending on how the car is driven? For example, could it go: 100 days, 99 days, 98 days, 110 days? If it's a straightforward countdown, then why has it counted down to zero days now? It's been 19 months since the previous inspection. Could it be set to 19 months? I would have thought that it would be set to 24 months if it is time based.

Thanks again for the help,

Chris