Over reving problems?

pteyeo

Reaction score
has any1 noticed when between 2 and 3 thousands revs (when the turbo kicks in) the the revs suddenly shoots up and the back down and then continues with the acceleration.
the best way i can describe it is if you got your foot on the acceleration pedel then put your foot on the clutch slightly? (not a smooth acceleration like b4?) it seems to happen in 4, 5 and 6th gear and it seems to be gettin worse. it started a few months ago and thought i'd ask to see if any one else has the same problem b4 i go to audi?

A3 tdi 04 plate

Yup, that happened to me a couple of times the other night - although it's not done it since.

I'm going to pop to the dealer when I can find time.

What, the rpm actually increase? or just the tacho needle goes up momentarily?

If the revs are changing then your clutch is on the way out.

[ QUOTE ]
What, the rpm actually increase? or just the tacho needle goes up momentarily?

If the revs are changing then your clutch is on the way out.

[/ QUOTE ]

or you've got a boost leak.

If the RPM is ACTUALLY increasing without an ACTUAL increase in wheel/road speed then the clutch is slipping. Period.

'sensation of power loss' is something completely different however. And could be any number of things such as boost leaks etc.

If the revs are suddenly spiking & then settling down - @ about 2200rpm as the car boosts, then you've got the same problem as me!

All I can say is best of luck, the dealers are @ present unwilling to investigate, merely an accompanied test drive &/or a solo test drive by an experienced tech (to get the sandwiches etc)

Mine does the same thing, but it seems to be just the tach needle, because it is really quick and I can hear the engine reving up. Seems to me like an electrinic problem more than a mechanical one. I getting my next srvice in a couple weeks and I was planning on asking about it.

so your saying audi will not even sort the problem out even if the car is under warranty? wot do i have to do then? wot have you guys done?

Have a look at the TDi Recall thread - there seems to be quite a few cars exhibiting this.

Mine DID do it once on the test drive and the car is in bits as we speak.

So far the following has been stated:-

1) The flywheel isn't part of the recall
2) The clutch plates aren't worn
3) There doesn't seem to be oil contamination
4) The hydraulics are fine

I have had some flannel about the clutch plate losing it's spring - but to be honest it's far too suspicious that a lot of cars seem to have identical problems. Common factor 2.0 TDi 2003 or 2004 as far as I can tell.

I would be quite happy to collect model and mileage of others who are getting this and rely this back to Audi - considering I am already well into the argument stage!!!

I think once they admit there is a problem most of the battle is won. Maybe there are more cars that need a recall than they are saying.

OK - I've just had another long chat with the Audi Dealer and the the very helpful customer services woman.

Audi have authorised them to change the clutch and test (warranty still not decided) but the fact they've authorised the test seems to indicate they may know something.

What she says is that anyone else who has the problem should go to the dealer and make them fill in a DIS report as this will go back to Germany. The more DIS reports - the likelihood they will admit a problem - the more chance of a warranty fix!!!

Picked my motor back up - now complete with a turbo!

They couldn't fault the clutch on testdrive, but within doing 20 miles mine was having fun slipping on the M/way.

The service advisor did admit that there is potential for a recall to happen on the dual mass flywheel, although he couldn't comment @ the time, but he said that he would review the position on a daily basis to let me know if one suddenly flagged up.

So, back to square one!

Willmorr, I don't honestly know what to suggest, I haven't made any progress at all, dynamodollishill has obviously had more success than me!

Service in 3.5k so I'll try again.

thanks guys, funni i havent noticed anything worong the last few times i have dove it? its a strange 1, no dout thou it will return!

First post.
I have exactly the same problem described in the first post. Been to 2 dealers who both told me the clutch is on the way out and it wouldn't be warranty unless they found a fault when they took the gearbox apart. Mine's an April 04 2.0 TDI with 32000miles on the clock.

When I picked the car up today from the dealers there was a horrendous burning smell - god knows what they did on the test drive but if the clutch wasn't knacked before it probably is now. Wondering if its worth giving Audi CS a call since they don't seem to be shedding too much light on it.

I have a 3.2 A3 of the same year, exhibiting exactly the same problem started a new thread probably needs to be here

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=373936&an=0&page=0#373936

My problem is the same as stated above, although mine did it over the space of 50 miles.

Been to dealer once. They said it is a known problem with this and some of the other cars (??TDI) and they remapped my engine ECU so that it wouldn't happen. Said the clutch was "jumping".

Now I read this as yes we know the clutch isn't up to the torque produced by the 3.2 and the TDI so we'll break the engine so it doesn't make as much torque and stops the problem.

A quick remap is going to be much cheaper to Audi than having to replace all of the crap clutches.......

Hmmmmm

Got car back from dealer, seemed to be much the same car, trouble is the same problem happpened again as soon as I drove it the next day. Waiting to hear back from the dealer

Does anyone else's seem to get better after its been driven a while?

I also couldn't get mine to do it in 1st or 2nd at all, but as soon as it went into 3rd it was horendous (judders whole car shakes, bunnyhops as revs dip and rise)

Will post update when I get it

Mine's the manual

The dealer phoned me today to say that they had not experienced this problem before so were stumped. They are waiting for Audi Tech to tell them what to do. He thinks it is a gearbox out job.

So stuck with the 2.0 A4 which is not at all fun to drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif