Lower suspension arms

scott909

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently going through and fixing all problems noted as advisories on my previous MOT certificate.

One of the things I'm finding troublesome is the O/S front lower suspension arm. It says the bushes are cracked and need replacing. I spoke with my mechanic friend who said it's easier/better to replace the whole lower suspension arm as it's less labour intensive and will therefore save me money overall.

I have looked online for these arms and found them but they come in two types - pressed steel or cast iron. I also read that I need to replace mine with the same type.

So, my question is, how do I know which one I have?

Many Thanks
Scott

If it's the genuine audi part there might be a part number on it that could give clues? Ring TPS for a quote and ask what material it is at the same time?

i agree with your first post to a degree that it is extra labour to change the bush at the back but disagree that it saves you money overall, it only takes about 5 minutes extra!! if it was my car i would be just repalcing the bush as you only pay for a new bush as opposed to a bush and arm, best to replace in pairs too.

Thanks for both of your replies.

So, you think a bush would be sufficient?

there are 2 bushes on the lower arms, that is one of them but those dont usually fail its normally the one at the rear of the wishbone.. when you dab your brake pedal when moving do you hear it 'bang'?

No, but I do get a banging/tapping noise when on uneven surfaces sometimes. The car also sometimes pulls to one side when accelerating. What do you reckon I should do for the best?

the one that is more common to fail is the euro car part number 610441425

How do I know which one has failed? Surely, if I order both, and replace both of them, I can be sure to resolve the issue!

Where abouts are you ? What are your front tyres like? If it's pulling from one side to the other swap your front tyres from left to right and see if it still does it but if you get banging when dabbing the brakes it will be the rear bushes that need replacing

Im based in Portugal. My front tyres are brand new. It's not banging when dabbing the brakes. It was an advisory on the MOT that "front O/S bushes splitting".

Ask the people that did the mot which bushes they mean and replace as necessary?

Unfortunately, the MOT was done back in the UK just before I bought the car so that isn't a possibility. What is common symptoms of a split bush?