S3 Turbo?? .....

S3_Neil

Reaction score
Hi all,

i have a 58 plate s3 with 47k miles on it
driving home today i put my foot down a bit and there was a bit a blowing/pop noise and then i have no turbo power for the rest of the way home - no smoke, lights or dodgey noises just no turbo power and a bit of hesistation to restart.

i have noticed over the last couple of weeks that the turbo whistle has got a little louder (nothing too dramatic), but no loss of power untill now?

ive had a quick look around and cant see any pipes that are damaged/come off.

just wondered if anyone had any ideas of what this could be before i take it to the dealers tomorrow..

cheers
neil

It's possible that one of the boost pipes from turbo to intercooler has blown off,and the lack of smoke etc would tend to agree with that.

Mine had a similar problem a while back,albeit on higher boost,and this pic shows what I found,looking down the left side of the engine as you look from the front,and down towards the bottom of the engine bay.

The pipes are not very secure,and rely on a clip and hook type connector to hold the pipe in place.

cheer Alex ill nip and have another look now

If it is one of the boost pipes,and they are sods to get at,you can drive it,but be sure to keep the revs low,and not to hoof it.

If you do,the turbo will almost certainly overspeed due to the lack of resistance and,and also the car will not see any boost,so the potential for that is compounded.

thanks mate. tried to have a look, but cant get to a thing for all the ****** air con pipes. my first thought when it went was a pipe of some sort as, as i said there was no smoke or anything, so think i might limp it to dealers in the morning and let them tackle it.

thanks again