2010 A3 1.6tdi sport Stop/Start Issue

mpgscott

Reaction score
Hi,

The other halfs car has started playing up this week whereby the stop/start function comes and goes, more faulty than working to be honest. Anyway what happens is that when you come to a stop and the clutch out then you get a waring saying stop/start system fault.

I have noticed two things happen when its faulty the revs at idle are up around 1200rpm and the radiator fan is constantly running, the car is not complaing about temp the needle sits at 90 as normal and there is plenty coolant.

So i connected up to vag com and get the following fault:

1 Fault Found:

01598 - Drive Battery Voltage
011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101011
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 192
Mileage: 104342 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.03.22
Time: 20:58:59

Freeze Frame:
Term 15 On
Voltage: 14.15 V
ON
ON
Term 50 On
OFF
OFF

I have re-charged the battery and have had a multimetre on it and its showing 12.6v when car switched off then its showing 14.5v when running and alternator charging it.

No other faults are coming up in vag com only this one.

Any ideas what it could be that is causing this fault??

Many thanks
Mark

Take a full scan and send it to VCDS. Chaps there may be able to shed some light on the problem.

Just something to take into consideration, start stop cars have AGM batteries and can't be tested in the same way you would a normal lead/calcium car battery. Take it to a garage or even halfords (they can test AGM too) to have a proper battery test done.

From what I know of AGM batteries however, they last a hell of a lot longer than normal batteries and I'd be surprised if its dead/dying already. However your mileage is something to take into consideration and the AGM batteries are rated more by cycles of start/stopping. E.g. An AGM battery is designed to put out around 360,000 starts, a normal battery is around 30,000. Further to this, the way in which the charging system works on a start stop car is different to normal cars in that the car has a counter for how many starts the car has been through and supposedly will give more charge to the battery as the count increases. So given your mileage, if you've covered enough starts within that mileage it'll probably be time to change the battery.

The three most common things to stop a start/stop system from working is having A/C on, the car not being at the correct running temperature and the battery not being upto the job.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the pointers much appretatied, i hadnt realised that the battery was so complex on them although i did wonder given its got the start stop i had thought something must have changed.

Will pop round to Halfords and see what they say.

Just strange why the car would idle at a higher rate along with the radiator fan running, both these things had me thinking that there may be a sensor such as temp not working so the car thinks its cold and needs higher revs, not sure on the radiator fan running though.

Thanks again.

I'm not sure what the 1.6 tdi is like but on my 2.0 tdi, no matter how hot or cold the engine is the only time it'll ever go about 1000rpm is when the DPF is going through active regeneration or if the engines cold, running, and the screen heater is on. Aside from that, on a cold start it idles around 900rpm at most.

Also if it was a sensor of some sort it would have come up on VCDS

My version of VCDS is not recognising the 1.6 engine saying that its missing the rod file for it Version 12.12 as well, so think im going to have to take it to Audi do get a diagnostics check done. The joys..

I had a spare battery in the garage that i had for the Seat Leon we have brand new only a 62Ah one but its new, so fitted this and the car appears to run fine no fan running however its too cold for the stop/start as its only 2.5deg here so typical at least when i pull to a stop its not stating fault its simply showing as stop/start not available since its too cold.

So new battery ordered AGM for stop start same as was fitted only £108 so result!

I had a spare battery in the garage that i had for the Seat Leon we have brand new only a 62Ah one but its new, so fitted this and the car appears to run fine no fan running however its too cold for the stop/start as its only 2.5deg here so typical at least when i pull to a stop its not stating fault its simply showing as stop/start not available since its too cold.

So new battery ordered AGM for stop start same as was fitted only £108 so result!

take it out ASAP. normal batteries do not work in start stop cars and u run the risk of overpowering the battery and in the worst case it can explode, if not that you could cause damage to other components, further to that theres a whole procedure to changing AGM batteries. Its not just a case of swapping them over, theres a diagnostics tool to be used to reset the counter

Oh no, im now away for the week from home and its the other halfs car so getting her to change it is never going to happen.

I cant see how its going to do any damage in fact the battery i fitted comes up on the search in eurocarparts for my reg. The alternator is putting out 14.5v and this is the voltage that the battery needs to be charged at, the battery will not draw anymore current once its fully charged so i dont see how it will be an issue. What count needs reset is this done in vag com any ideas what the settings are to do this?

Many thanks
Mark