What suspension for the S3????

Morells

Reaction score
Basically what set up does everyone recommend looked at bilstein coil overs and almost had a heart attack haha so what springs + damper combinations are there? What setup on your car do you have? And are the cheaper coil overs any good?

All the normal coilovers I've looked at for the s3 don't actually get them properly low.

Spring and damper kits are as expensive and some, more expensive than some coilovers AP's and vmaxx for example.

Depends how low you want/what adjustment your looking for.

I emailed stillstatic about their h&r ultralow kits and tbh, considering the bilstien are apparently the lowest normal coilovers for the s3, the h&r's are near enough the same price.

When I find myself an s3, I think the only ones I'll be considering are the ultralows, simply so the range of adjustment is there, the only hate with the ap coilovers is I wish they gave you the option of going lower.

Do you want it to ride properly or skim worms?

If it's the former then Koni FSD's and Eibach springs work well. If it's the latter then any of the budget coils will suffice. Personally I would have limited confidence spending less on coilovers than springs /dampers but some people seem to think they are ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelza and s3_trev
I want it to ride properly not bouncing all over the place some coilovers like the AP at the same price of some damper and spring combos have rebound adjusters on them which would make them ride better. So basically what's the best spring and damper setup? And are the Ap coilovers any good?

If it was my money as said above Koni FSD dampers and Eibach Pro kit springs.

Coilovers can corrode, very often get set up once (and not often properly), then never get adjusted again (hence what's the point), and rarely ride as compliantly as spring dampers. People have become pre-conditioned to think coils are the thing to have, but I've been there once and never again (H&R's, not cheap Far East pogos)

Dont assume it rides better because it has adjustable dampening, apparently the bilstein B16 on full soft rides the same as the B14 which doesn't have adjustable dampening.

I don't find ap's bounce, H&R springs on standard dampers do though.

Everyone I have spoken to has warned me off coilovers on the S3. I am going to go for H&R springs first and see how that feels for a couple of months and go from there. I suppose it depends what you want, personally I just want a slight drop to level it out rather than slamming it and ruining the ride and car in general.

I spoke to the Bilstein rep at Audi Driver International and he said it's the dampers that are the biggest issue with some Audi models, they have very little compliance and run way too stiff. Supposedly they make the biggest difference to ride, it's just you still need springs to get rid of the 'speed boat' rise at the front end.

Yes, Koni FSD's and Eibach Pro kit fronts (rears don't get changed it just levels the S3 out).

Reactions: Hoesty
I have only done Eibach Pro-Kit front springs on mine (admittedly very new and low-mileage car so dampers are in A1). Take a look at my "build thread" to see what I think - personally very happy!

Just wanted to add for anyone in future, stillstatic say the ultralows measurements are taken from the 8P basic model (SE) height.

So technically their 110mm kit lowers the s3 between 10-70mm. Doesn't sound so "slammed" or ridiculous as when you hear a 110mm lowering kit.

Think I'm going to go for a damper and spring set up. Has anyone run the bilstien dampers? Or the H&R kit?

Nice one, I quite fancy the FSDs but was also looking at the Bilstein B14s.

Also what spacer sizes do you run if any as I have some rubbing on mine.

None, but I had RS3 wheels (ET50'ish). I tried a 5mm spacer on the back with arch liner screw removed and with 2 passengers it still rubbed.

Appreciate this picture is during a wash cycle, but snow foam helps clearly show arch gap of OEM springs:
01df54f4541ddb4007f61f16dc2b55f331751acd15.jpg

Picture after Eibach springs fitted:
0188f5e278902fc3dc4e60df6b3cafd5096a92a2a4.jpg

Reactions: Hoesty, Kelza, S3_Mat and 1 other person
None, but I had RS3 wheels (ET50'ish). I tried a 5mm spacer on the back with arch liner screw removed and with 2 passengers it still rubbed.

Appreciate this picture is during a wash cycle, but snow foam helps clearly show arch gap of OEM springs:
01df54f4541ddb4007f61f16dc2b55f331751acd15.jpg

Picture after Eibach springs fitted:
0188f5e278902fc3dc4e60df6b3cafd5096a92a2a4.jpg

that's my mind made up! eibachs for the s3!! although I have just noticed you are on 19s.. hmm

If money wasn't a concern I would buy KW V3 coilovers, H&R anti roll bars and super pro anti lift kit :)

I have all of the above except H&R 25mm springs instead of the coilovers - great set up IMO, quite stiff but suits me perfectly!
Picture 428

Reactions: S., s3_trev, S3_Mat and 1 other person
I spoke to the Bilstein rep at Audi Driver International and he said it's the dampers that are the biggest issue with some Audi models, they have very little compliance and run way too stiff. Supposedly they make the biggest difference to ride, it's just you still need springs to get rid of the 'speed boat' rise at the front end.

It is for definite the dampers and it is crazy why AUDI, especially in the face of years of criticism, would continue to fit poorly spec'd dampers. People slate the S-Line springs for being crashy or the Sport for being bouncy; it is all to do with the damper. If you put a Bilstein Sprint B8 damper on an S-Line or an S3 it would transform the car.

The Sport dampers off my TDI are crazy stiff in "bump/compression" but have hardly any rebound damping (which is where most damping control come from). Essentially what AUDI have done is created a falsely stiff ride because the car "rides" on its dampers and less so the springs and it makes the car feel out of control sometimes as it struggles to retain the body from bouncing up. The S-Line dampers are the same as the Sport, so the stiffer springs and stiff bump/compression dampers can give an unsettled ride and one that lacks composure as the car floats and nods at the front end over dips and crests. Having said that I have fitted some S-line springs to my car and the ride felt barely different to the Sport springs, albeit on better SACHs Advantage dampers.

I have now recently fitted S3 front springs and the car still rides ok on aftermarket SACH Advantage dampers, despite the S3 springs being shorter are stiffer than the S-Line springs. So you can massively change the spring rate and still have a similar ride.

An alternative to Koni FSD would be Bilstein Sprint B8 dampers - I have these on my BMW and they are a very very good sports/road damper, not crashy but well controlled ride. I wouldn't recommend the SACHS Advantage 40023 (rated for all 55mm strut cars including the S3), although I have them, as there still isn't enough rebound on them to give the well-damped control you expect and it does occasionally lose composure and bounce, but they are an improvement over stock Sport/S-Line dampers.

The stock S3 dampers are pretty short, but the valving is not stiffer than the Sport damper, perhaps a touch softer on bump/compression and slightly more on rebound so they are not as "bad" as the Sport/S-Line dampers.

The rear dampers are ok on A3s IMO, the damper is as you'd expect reasonable bump and good rebound, it's just the front that are the wrong way round.

The problem with coilovers for me is that there is too much to fiddle with! and probably always fiddling with it!

Reactions: warren_S5 and S3_Mat
Currently running H&R springs here but have new KW V3s sitting ready to be installed! Cant wait.

What front or rear? What size wheels you running fella?

Running stock 18s with the 245/40, fitted my old 8mm front 12mm spacers from my A3 3.2 V6. front rubs occasionally rear a lot. want to fill the arches as much as possible without the rubbing any ideas what works with eibach pro kit front and standard springs rear?

Sorry to steal the thread re spacers but I think you guys made up my mind with the shocks.

What would be the best spacer set up for H&R Springs on standard shocks on a 2009 S3 Sportback?
?

Mechanic69 - may as well do both. They are both adjustable.

Scoot Yo - Depends on your wheel offset and tyre size. The H&R are 25mm, are your wheels 18"? OEM? Go with H&R spacers then chose your size based on what I have asked.

Mechanic69 - may as well do both. They are both adjustable.

Scoot Yo - Depends on your wheel offset and tyre size. The H&R are 25mm, are your wheels 18"? OEM? Go with H&R spacers then chose your size based on what I have asked.

18s rotors not sure what offset though

Not sure on the offset mate, just standard Audi rotars in 18's. Car will be lowered on H&R springs (S3 Sportback) otherwise standard suspension-wise.

Also is it much of a job to lower an S3 what should I be paying to have it done? How many hours work etc?

I've already ordered the H&R kit so the back will be going down as well, don't really like the idea of just lowering one axel.

I've already ordered the H&R kit so the back will be going down as well, don't really like the idea of just lowering one axel.

Eibachs lower the front only just right, levels the car out, rather than the front sticking up and bouncing all over the place. stock rear is low enough for me.

Whatever suits you thoughts OK its your car

Reactions: Hoesty

Stolen from Muzza80 (with good reason):
"Before you go discounting the eibach's completely because someone told you it wont handle good with just front springs....

The pro-kit is designed purely to take up the arch gap difference at the front whilst retaining the OEM spring rates, lets face it do you really want stiffer springs than standard, they're pretty stiff as is?

Eibach know their stuff, they wouldn't sell miss-matched springs that would ruin the handling"

And my 2p...
Don't forget that by just lowering the front, you're altering the balance of the car affecting understeer, turn-in, dive etc.
I've recently fitted Eibach Pro-Kit front uprated springs, no complaints here as it's greatly reduced understeer, sharpened up turn-in and given a more positive feel even for aspects like braking. Standard ("flat") stance S3 chassis loved to plough on into turn-in!

Reactions: warren_S5
Hi STL, I did see your post on my thread, I don't have many pics of the car at all but will get some as requested and pop them up...you won't be disappointed with Eibach though...

Also is it much of a job to lower an S3 what should I be paying to have it done? How many hours work etc?

I'm pretty sure the best setup to run spacers on rotors were 10mm front and 12mm rear.... My springs were £120 to be fitted by local mechanic... No idea on time wise as I just left my car there for the day...

I also get what everyone is saying on Eibach front onlys... I have 8P2 n think my H&R setup is bang on... The thing with the Eibachs are, the front arch is clearly cut higher than back, only fitting fronts creates positive rake on the car and I dont like that look! However, it suits the 8P3 as it pulls that huge bonnet down a bit...

Rears take around 20 mins to do start to finish, fronts can take a few hours, depends if your struts have been out the hub or not before as they'll take a fair bit of bashing to get out if not.