No escape

stevieboy

Reaction score
I know there have been a few posts about exterior door handles falling off but has anyone had the interior door handle break.

Came to get out if the car, pulled the interior handle and all I got was a loud snapping sound from within the door. The handles still there but flaps around doing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif all.

At present I'm rolling down the window, leaning out to open the door with the exterior handle and then rolling the window back up!

If the exterior handle breaks as well I'm knackered.

Is this a common one..............?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I've noticed my interior handle on the driver's side isn't as tough\well made as the passenger one but hasn't fallen off......yet......

When you grip it, the 2 bits that make it up (outer bit you see and inner bit that makes up the back of it) squeeze together, almost like it isn't done up tight enough. Passenger one is fine.

Try putting your fingers on the back of the handle and your thumb on front and squeeze together, does it feel solid or move a lot like mine?

Anyone else had this please?

The actual handle seems OK except it does ****** all now, apart from flap about.

I think it must be the linkage somewhere between the handle and the actual latch mechanism that's fell apart.

I don't suppose there is a 'stout' component in the assembly - probably monkey metal, plastic, hairy string and some German chewing gum...

I know on the miv's theres a cable that runds from the handle to the actual catch. The housing it cable sits in is plastic so perhaps this has broken.

I like the dukes of hazzard solution personally Have you got a daisy duke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

J.

[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed my interior handle on the driver's side isn't as tough\well made as the passenger one but hasn't fallen off......yet......

When you grip it, the 2 bits that make it up (outer bit you see and inner bit that makes up the back of it) squeeze together, almost like it isn't done up tight enough. Passenger one is fine.

Try putting your fingers on the back of the handle and your thumb on front and squeeze together, does it feel solid or move a lot like mine?

Anyone else had this please?

[/ QUOTE ]

We need to be careful here - if Audi find out there are two cars with the same problem it will be re-classified as a characteristic of the model and not a fault. Exactly the same on my Sportback, presuming you are talking about the grab handle that goes from the elec window switches up to the actual door lever and locking button?

The driver's side is very flexible and creaks and twists a bit when you grab it. Feels like the two parts don't quite click together properly. The passenger side is rock solid though. It's in at the dealer in about 10 days or so for this and the steering problems so will report back then.

[ QUOTE ]

I like the dukes of hazzard solution personally Have you got a daisy duke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RobB - AMAZING!!!!!

That is indeed the same problem, thankfully someone else does have the same prob and it is not just my imagination!

As you say, the driver's side grab handle (as in what you use to close the door inside) is very flexible and creaks and twists a bit when you grab it and does indeed feel like the two parts don't quite click together properly. The passenger side is rock solid though.

Anyone else care to join us with this prob? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Please do let us know what they say about this Rob when you take it in - have you mentioned it to them yet?

Yup,my driver's side handle can be squeezed together.

You can feel the inner bit (the bit against your fingers) moving quite freely.

The passengers side is solid.

It's not really worth reporting though is it ?
I'm not knocking those that do but,compared with the other faults I've had,it seems a bit trivial.

My view Bowfer is that it is something else to add to the list for them to sort out whilst it is in for more serious items like the oil leak, exhaust problem and fuel flap not opening etc.

I wouldn't go in for just the handle but it shouldn't be like it so they can sort it whilst they do the other stuff. I wouldn't be bothered if it could just be squeezed together, it's the fact that like RobB mentions it flexes and squeeks\creaks that annoys me.

Besides being annoying when it creaks\squeeks, Audi are meant to be known for their quality interiors so I'm sure they would welcome the feedback and chance to rectify it! LOL

[ QUOTE ]
My view Bowfer is that it is something else to add to the list for them to sort out whilst it is in for more serious items like the oil leak, exhaust problem and fuel flap not opening etc.

I wouldn't go in for just the handle but it shouldn't be like it so they can sort it whilst they do the other stuff. I wouldn't be bothered if it could just be squeezed together, it's the fact that like RobB mentions it flexes and squeeks\creaks that annoys me.

Besides being annoying when it creaks\squeeks, Audi are meant to be known for their quality interiors so I'm sure they would welcome the feedback and chance to rectify it! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah,if it's going in anyway.
I bet I notice it all the time now.

Gee,thanks guys.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

You can join RobB and I Bowfer, 3 of us with the same issue now then!

You'll probably get told it is designed purposefully like that along the lines of a stress ball so it flexes in and out when you grip it tight with rage! The downside being that it flexes and creaks everytime you pull the door shut whatever - thus causing said rage!

It just feels cheap to me, hopefully they can tighten it or it has been modified since I took delivery in 2005 and there is a replacement part.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

daisybikini.jpg

This must be a sportback thing. I know they look different handles / interior door design to 3 door.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

daisybikini.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeef, it's been a hard day so far without this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

[ QUOTE ]
she's as thick as pig $hit but scores a 9.0 on my shagability index /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Confused, what you bothered about brains for?, she's blonde and gagging for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hope she's put together better than an A3,or you won't get her flap open...

[ QUOTE ]
I hope she's put together better than an A3,or you won't get her flap open...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RobB - AMAZING!!!!!

That is indeed the same problem, thankfully someone else does have the same prob and it is not just my imagination!

As you say, the driver's side grab handle (as in what you use to close the door inside) is very flexible and creaks and twists a bit when you grab it and does indeed feel like the two parts don't quite click together properly. The passenger side is rock solid though.

Anyone else care to join us with this prob? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Please do let us know what they say about this Rob when you take it in - have you mentioned it to them yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have mentioned it to them and it is logged to be looked at. Will let you know.

Bowfer - I agree it could be seen as trivial in isolation, but I had so many faults on my first (now replaced) 3.2 that anything that is not as I would expect really frustrates me. It's in for the steering rack lumpiness and creaking anyway (already been through this pain once on my previous one) so this can be sorted at the same time hopefully.

[ QUOTE ]

Remember it's a family forum guys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that your first bit of moderating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How's it feel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Remember it's a family forum guys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that your first bit of moderating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How's it feel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you remember when you where young there was a TV program can't remeber what it was called though. The kids swapped roles for the night with the parents. You know dictating tea times, bath time and bed time etc? Well kinda like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

J.

family forum? that one always make me wonder how many times the rest of my family have used this forum..

[ QUOTE ]
family forum? that one always make me wonder how many times the rest of my family have used this forum..

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, I hope my wife doesn't read it! Not after some of the things I've said...mind you I was joking really....she's lovely....wouldn't swap her...

Hello Dear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif