Top up oil?

A3_TOBES

Reaction score
Quick question.

I need to know what top up oil to put in my 05 3.2 A3. Car is s/h and there is an empty audi zip up bag in the boot but no oil in it.

Car was supplied new from Reading Audi and is on AVS. Would it be best to contact them to see what they actually put in it?

Cheers for any advice.

Have found Castrol written inside the zip up bag so gather Castrol is in the car?

Your car needs oil that meets the old VW spec 503.00 or the new spec 504.00. The current Castrol oil that meets both these specs is Castrol Edge 5w-30. Castrol Edge is new and replaces Castrol SLX Longlife II. Halfords sell the new Castrol Edge in 1 litre and 5 litre cans.

[ QUOTE ]
Your car needs oil that meets the old VW spec 503.00 or the new spec 504.00. The current Castrol oil that meets both these specs is Castrol Edge 5w-30. Castrol Edge is new and replaces Castrol SLX Longlife II. Halfords sell the new Castrol Edge in 1 litre and 5 litre cans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers David, I have just read it should be 503.01 in an older thread for the 3.2 not .00 so a bit confused.

As a matter of interest my oil level is in the middle of the textured bit on the dipstick when engine was cold this morning. Is it worth topping up or does this sound ok?

VW Spec 504.00 cover both 503.00 and 503.01. The original 503.01was a spec specifically for the RS4, TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp. Castrol Edge 5w-30 meets the spec for new code 504.00. According to my Owner's Manual, the 184kw 6 cylinder ptrol engine on Longlife service requires oil to VW 503.00.

Providing the oil level does not go below the textured area it should be OK. It's normally 1 litre between the top and bottom of that area.

[ QUOTE ]
VW Spec 504.00 cover both 503.00 and 503.01. The original 503.01was a spec specifically for the RS4, TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp. Castrol Edge 5w-30 meets the spec for new code 504.00. According to my Owner's Manual, the 184kw 6 cylinder ptrol engine on Longlife service requires oil to VW 503.00.

Providing the oil level does not go below the textured area it should be OK. It's normally 1 litre between the top and bottom of that area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, will be getting some Castrol Edge then to keep for top ups when needed.

[ QUOTE ]

As a matter of interest my oil level is in the middle of the textured bit on the dipstick when engine was cold this morning. Is it worth topping up or does this sound ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the manual on that one. I know when I was last topping my 2.0 TDi up (after the oil light came on again) the manual said something about NOT going over the half way mark under certain conditions but I can't for the life of me remember what they were.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the manual on that one. I know when I was last topping my 2.0 TDi up (after the oil light came on again) the manual said something about NOT going over the half way mark under certain conditions but I can't for the life of me remember what they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK cheers for that, not back at home for a week so could anyone on here confirm this with a brief look at their manual?

Would be much appreciated.

Also Dave is my car the "184kw 6 cylinder"? just not too familiar with kw.

Cheers Olilman for the line.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, will be getting some Castrol Edge then to keep for top ups when needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a litre of 'Edge' yesterday from Halfords @ £11.99

**** Turpin has changed jobs by the look of it.....

"I bought a litre of 'Edge' yesterday from Halfords @ £11.99"

Scary price!

I also had an empty bag with my new (last Nov 2005) 1.9TDi Sportback. Can anyone confirm if the Castrol 'Edge' 5W-30 the one to get for top up with that engine unit as well?

Any other oil that is cheaper and equally suitable around as well????

Yes A3_TOBES your car is the 184kW 6-cylinder.

Be carefull looking for cheaper oils. Just had a look at the www.opieoils.co.uk site and as far as I can see they do not list an oil that meets the VW 503.00 or 504.00 specifications which are the oils required any A3 petrol engine on Longlife AVS servicing. Diesels require VW506.01 or 507.00 again for Longlife AVS servicing. The Castrol Edge oil definitely meets these specfications. Most of the oils quoted on that site only meet the specification for normal Fixed Interval (10,000 miles) servicing.

Having spent around £20,000 on a car it seems a little short-sighted to skimp on the oil for the engine.

Wrong!

These meet 503.00

Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL LL 0w-30
Fuch Titan GT1 5w-30

Cheers
Simon

As the new Castrol Edge was developed specifically in conjuction with VW/Audi and meets the requirements of the old 503.00 and the new 504.00, I think I stick with that, even if it does means paying a few pennies more.

As I say, why skimp on oil for a £20,000 car ?

No problem with that but the Fuchs oils are also developed in the same way.

In fact, Fuchs is factory fill for VAG (they are German afterall) and Castrol is service fill.

Cheers
Simon

[ QUOTE ]
Yep plenty in the Members Area here and on sale at the moment

http://www.opieoils.co.uk

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Oilman. Registration has come through so I'll have a look.

Very helpful forum by the way everyone and it's good to be a part of it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

According to Fuchs's German web-site their TITAN GT1 Longlife III SAE 5W-30 oil meets the new VW504.00/507.00 specifications.

Both these oils are longlife ones for variable service.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_lubricants/pdf/fuchs/TITAN_GT1_LONGLIFE_III_5W-30_VW.pdf

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_lu...S_SAE_0W-30.pdf

This one is VW503.01

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_lubricants/pdf/fuchs/TITAN_SUPERSYN_SL_0W-30.pdf

And this one is a PD oil

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_lubricants/pdf/fuchs/TITAN_SUPERSYN_PLUS_SAE_5W-40.pdf

And this one meet basic specs for variable for older vehicles

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_lubricants/pdf/fuchs/TITAN_SUPERSYN_SL_5W-40.pdf

Fuchs has by far the most comprehensive range of VAG Approved oils as they are developed in conjunction with VAG. Fuchs do 15 million litres of factory fill with VAG per annum, by far VAG's largest partner!

What we like about them is they are not overpriced but meet all the specs.

Fuchs also own Silkolene these days that's why you will see both Fuchs and Silkolene oils on our website. Silkolene being the modded/track car oils that are ester based and Fuchs being the street oils.

Take a look: http://www.opieoils.co.uk but remember the best prices are in the Club Members Section!

Cheers
Simon

[ QUOTE ]

Hello Simon,

Is Fuch factory fill documented any where?

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I have confidential papers and copies of the German VAG Approval certs for all their oils.

They are VAG's largest partner. Not surprising as they have a direct rail link to the factory for transporting the oil.

I would also point out that they are good oils and not overpriced like many beginning with C and M.

Cheers
Simon

Cheers
Simon

I was just wondering if there was a link anywhere, you know officail supplies to VAG kinda thing. Would help with the advertising and sceptics amongst us!

J.

I'm not sure but take my word for it, I've been an official Fuchs Distributor for more than 8 years and it's not bull.

Besides, a spec is a spec and if an oil meets it, it is no better than another that meets the same spec (VAG tests them and approves them) so why pay for a name?

It's your money, I'm just giving the facts.

Cheers
Simon

[ QUOTE ]

OK cheers for that, not back at home for a week so could anyone on here confirm this with a brief look at their manual about the advised point on the dipstick to fill to after hearing in some coditions its different?

Would be much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone? cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry to drag this up again but I've now run out of top up oil that was supplied with the car from new (Castrol GLX Longlife II). I called Audi and asked for a price and they quoted £11.99 for 1 litre but for the Mobil equivalent as they no longer stock Castrol.

Is it OK to mix these or would you recommend I get some Catrol from somewhere else??

Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nowt wrong with mixing oils of the same type,but different makes.

Missm,

Its fine to mix these two oils.

All oils will mix (except castor) so dont be afraid to top up with a different brand...

As long as the oil meets the specs required for the car, mix away.

Cheers

Guy

Thanks all,

Halfords = £13.99 for Castrol Edge 5W30 which replaces Castrol SLX Longlife II

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks all,

Halfords = £13.99 for Castrol Edge 5W30 which replaces Castrol SLX Longlife II

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey, has it been that long since I bought some, my car obviously uses less oil than I thought.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Checked mine about a month ago and it did not need topping up. Will check again in a bit as I'm tinkering with the car. How often would you expect to top up the oil on a petrol lump?

[ QUOTE ]
Checked mine about a month ago and it did not need topping up. Will check again in a bit as I'm tinkering with the car. How often would you expect to top up the oil on a petrol lump?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly ever,in a petrol,to be honest.

My thing's got a good appetite for oil,although it seems to have settled down a bit lately.
I just wait for the warning light,then chuck in a litre ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Our of sheer interest,what harm would it do (assuming your car was out of warranty,of course) to switch to a normal,less expensive,oil and just change it more frequently ?

Do people stick with the extended service oil when they buy a used Audi ?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

LOL!! same as me, when the light comes on I lob in a litre, which is hardly scientific

I usually use whatever I have in the garage though, typically mobile 1 -does anyone think it would cause problems?

Finally checked the missus car the other night, not used a drop in a year..........

That's that happened to me, the oil light came on so I chucked in the litre that I'd been give by Audi. Is 1 litre enough when it gets to this point? I mean what is the capacity? I don't have the car with me now to check the level or RTFM!

Don't talk to me about oil... mine used a whole litre on Friday! The cap came undun on the top-up bottle in the boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif and I had green engine oil all over my boot floor... clean up operation completed late Friday night and it looks cleaner now than it did when it picked it up (from new)!!

Good old fiary liquid!

[ QUOTE ]
That's that happened to me, the oil light came on so I chucked in the litre that I'd been give by Audi. Is 1 litre enough when it gets to this point? I mean what is the capacity? I don't have the car with me now to check the level or RTFM!

[/ QUOTE ]

No,it takes about a litre and a half to get from warning light to the top of the notch on the dipstick,from memory.

Like I said though,I hardly ever bother checking the dipstick as it's got such a voracious appetite for oil that I'd never be done putting wee drops in.

I just wait for the light,then tip a whole litre in,which takes you half way up the dipstick.

My wife's Renault has an electronic dipstick on her dash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Don't talk to me about oil... mine used a whole litre on Friday! The cap came undun on the top-up bottle in the boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif and I had green engine oil all over my boot floor... clean up operation completed late Friday night and it looks cleaner now than it did when it picked it up (from new)!!

Good old fiary liquid!

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a powder fire extinguisher go off in the back of my Renault 19 once...

Beggar me..what a mess... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I chucked in my brothers brand new Astra GTE 16v (some years ago as you can guess) and he got rid of the car not long after as the stink would not go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My wife's Renault has an electronic dipstick on her dash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your wifes the latest Clio? How good have the reports been for it, yet to read a bad one I think the only negative comment make has been regarding the angle of the steering wheel/instruments, looks like quite a few other makes could learn a lot...

J.