POWER STEERING RACK/PUMP FAILURE?

Reaction score
hello guys ive just brought a 2004 audi a3 2.0 tdi there are a few niggly bits wrong with it main one being it could need a new power steering rack or pump a backstreet garage has told me?.

steering wise when im driving and taking corners the steering wheel does not become tight or stiff at all its really light as it should be i could turn it with my little finger.

however the issue is after taking a corner and putting my foot down a little bit, unaided the steering wheel should come straight back to self center as (i have previously owned a a3)

with this one it will self center a little bit but its asif i have to guide it back to self center so i will be going in a straight line.
but the steering has no heavyness tightness at all throughout, i have just had the tracking done today specifically to try and fix this problem and its still the same.

the esp light is on the dash

the car has been sitting for a few months without a battery etc connected

can anybody help me out please, could it need resetting on a vcds for the steering angle sensor?, or will it need a new rack or pump please feel free to let me know and comment many thanks ben

If theres a light on the dash you need to get it scanned for a starting point tbh.

yeah im going to get it scanned tommorow hopefully im hoping it doesnt need a new rack or pump

anyone with any info on steering rack or pump failure symtoms? and does mine apply? i think this local garage just wants my money

At an absolute guess I can't see it needing a new rack or pump, as if it turns as expected then the mechanical side of it would appear to be working. You may be onto something with steering angle sensor, as the steering is electro-mechanical I believe? Which may mean it doesn't detect the need to release the tension on the steering and allow it to spin back to straight.

This is all complete guesswork so far!

Where abouts are you? May be worth looking at the VCDS map to see if anybody nearby could lend a hand for a few beer tokens?

hiya and yeah i hope i dont need rack pump replacement etc i hope its a cheap fix, and im in birmingham buddy how much is it to plug into vcds by any chance

A member off this forum should be willing to do it for a couple of beers. Have a look at the VCDS map, I've not got a link as currently on my phone.

Taking it to a garage is likely to cost 50-70quid for a diagnostic scan.

just got it plugged into vag.com it threw up a few error codes (g85) steering angle sensor faulty no input output,and a steering laceration code, so i am going to need a new steering angle sensor i dont even know what it looks like where it goes and how it costs??? any help people much appreciated cheers ben

It's in the steering column I believe, somebody with more info will be along now you have an error code.

I suppose the good news has to be that the steering angle sensor must be a cheaper fix than a rack/pump!

Edit: more info here 00778 - Ross-Tech Wiki

ha yeah defo, im not going to hold my breath though on that thought, im typing audi a3 steering angle sensor in google images and theres all types of pics so i dont even know what im looking at or what i need to buy :think:

have you read this? on that link you sent me

This Fault Code may also be stored even though the Steering Angle Sensor (G85) is properly calibrated (Basic Setting), though it may not be finally initialized yet. Check the Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) in the Steering Aid Control Module (J500 / #44) for details. The Initialization will usually take place during a test drive.

my car has steering angle sensor fault code(g85) and lateral acceleration code, and brake pressure code somebody please help what do i do

does anybody know where my steering angle sensor is situated on my 2004 audi a3 2.0 tdi? or even a part number for a new one if possible many thanks