Sky InsuranceBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By leeds2592

Thread: Audi a3 1.6 and 2.0 litre - modding question

Reverse Gear

Status

Audi a3 1.6 and 2.0 litre - modding question

Hi everyone

I have a few questions about audi a3 and I am not much of an expert about modding etc so please be patient.

I know that the 2.0 litre has more horsepower than the 1.6litre

What I am looking from a car is mainly acceleration and I am wondering what things need to be done in order to increase the acceleration as much as possible.
    Having more horsepower gives you more speed and a bit more acceleratio; according to the audi specs, 2.0 is 1 sec faster than 1.6 and what I'm wondering is that there isn't really much different.

So if I wanted to add more acceleration to a car, would it be possible for me to add power to a 1.6 so that it accelerates faster than a 2.0?
    what things do I have to keep in mind when doing these mods? for eg, how much power can I add ?

I know my examples are a confusing but I simply want to know if is possible to have a 1.6 and make it powerful enough so that it's better than audi a3 2.0 so that there's no need to buy the bigger engine one as the smaller one can give you more by modifying it.

thank you

2. # ADS
    ADS

When I grow up, I want a 964!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Petrol? Diesel?
    Turbo (TFSI)? Non turbo (FSI)?
    wuta3 likes this.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

6+1 Gears

Status
    A remap could give you a few HP but not much. Unfortunately there is not much you can do to increase power on a non-turbo engine.
    If you're talking about 1.6 and 2.0 TDI, than with the 1.6, with a good remap, you could reach 140PS, close to some of the 2.0 ones.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    I'm assuming you are talking about the 1.6 TDI and the 2.0 TDI from your previous threads, then yes, the 1.6 TDi could be remapped to give performance near to the 2.0 Tdi.
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

Reverse Gear

Status
    yes I mean TDI; I might be wrong but don't the 1.6 fsi or tdi have the same bhp regardless of the version? isn't this the same for the 2.0 ?
    what my understanding is that more bhp gives you mainly more power in a sense that it increases your top speed but not much significance in the acceleration.

what other things can be done to focus on the acceleration and increase it?

2nd Gear

Status
    As mentioned above, get it remapped. Not only will you get an increase in BHP you will get the all important increase in torque.

The mid range is significantly improved when remapped so makes the real world acceleration better. There is not really much more you can get out of a diesel engine IMO unless you go down the heavily modded route, eg a hybrid turbo, exhaust etc. which costs a lot of money for relatively small gains.
    Current:
    8P2 S3 Phantom Black | Sunroof, RNS-E, AMI, FBMFSW, Bluetooth, Auto lights & wipers, CHL, LED Interior light pack, Black Styling pack, Miltek Catback, MY11 rear lights and remapped by Unicorn Motor Developments

Previous:
    8P2 A3 2.0 TDI 170 S Line Quattro Grey | Remapped
    8L A3 1.9 Tdi 100 Sport Black | Remapped to 130

2nd Gear

Status
    Just like above
    1.6 not worth modding it just wasting your money
    2.0 if is a turbo get a remap,intake tbe and so on can suprise you with acceleration and speed
    2011 S3 Ibis Black Edition SB S-tronic
    Revo Stage 1, P-Flo, Mintex M1144

Reverse Gear

Status
    Great thanks, this is basically what I wanted to know
    So what I understand now is that gains on a 1.6 are relatively low but a 2.0 can handle a bit more and from the last posts it seems like you can do a few more things on it that would boost the acceleration such as intake tbe(i don't know what that is ah) etc.

2nd Gear

Status
    Let's not get confused, a 1.6 tdi will have very similar relative gains as a 2.0 tdi. Whereas the 1.6 fsi will struggle to gain any extra power, apart from shoving some form of forced induction on it which is not worth it.

TBE stands for turbo back exhaust and to be honest, gains from this on a tdi aren't great in comparison to a turbo petrol car. Unless you throw loads of money at it and go hybrid turbo.
    Current:
    8P2 S3 Phantom Black | Sunroof, RNS-E, AMI, FBMFSW, Bluetooth, Auto lights & wipers, CHL, LED Interior light pack, Black Styling pack, Miltek Catback, MY11 rear lights and remapped by Unicorn Motor Developments

Previous:
    8P2 A3 2.0 TDI 170 S Line Quattro Grey | Remapped
    8L A3 1.9 Tdi 100 Sport Black | Remapped to 130

Reverse Gear

Status
    Fair enough, so basically your saying that the room for fain on both 1.6 tdi and 2.0 tdi is very similar right?

what do people usually do to get good acceleration power other than remapping? and how much these other mods can cost if one was to use them?