Audi a3 1.6 and 2.0 litre - modding question

cpu2007

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a few questions about audi a3 and I am not much of an expert about modding etc so please be patient.

I know that the 2.0 litre has more horsepower than the 1.6litre

What I am looking from a car is mainly acceleration and I am wondering what things need to be done in order to increase the acceleration as much as possible.
Having more horsepower gives you more speed and a bit more acceleratio; according to the audi specs, 2.0 is 1 sec faster than 1.6 and what I'm wondering is that there isn't really much different.

So if I wanted to add more acceleration to a car, would it be possible for me to add power to a 1.6 so that it accelerates faster than a 2.0?
what things do I have to keep in mind when doing these mods? for eg, how much power can I add ?

I know my examples are a confusing but I simply want to know if is possible to have a 1.6 and make it powerful enough so that it's better than audi a3 2.0 so that there's no need to buy the bigger engine one as the smaller one can give you more by modifying it.

thank you

Petrol? Diesel?
Turbo (TFSI)? Non turbo (FSI)?

Reactions: wuta3
A remap could give you a few HP but not much. Unfortunately there is not much you can do to increase power on a non-turbo engine.
If you're talking about 1.6 and 2.0 TDI, than with the 1.6, with a good remap, you could reach 140PS, close to some of the 2.0 ones.

I'm assuming you are talking about the 1.6 TDI and the 2.0 TDI from your previous threads, then yes, the 1.6 TDi could be remapped to give performance near to the 2.0 Tdi.

yes I mean TDI; I might be wrong but don't the 1.6 fsi or tdi have the same bhp regardless of the version? isn't this the same for the 2.0 ?
what my understanding is that more bhp gives you mainly more power in a sense that it increases your top speed but not much significance in the acceleration.

what other things can be done to focus on the acceleration and increase it?

As mentioned above, get it remapped. Not only will you get an increase in BHP you will get the all important increase in torque.

The mid range is significantly improved when remapped so makes the real world acceleration better. There is not really much more you can get out of a diesel engine IMO unless you go down the heavily modded route, eg a hybrid turbo, exhaust etc. which costs a lot of money for relatively small gains.

Just like above
1.6 not worth modding it just wasting your money
2.0 if is a turbo get a remap,intake tbe and so on can suprise you with acceleration and speed

Great thanks, this is basically what I wanted to know
So what I understand now is that gains on a 1.6 are relatively low but a 2.0 can handle a bit more and from the last posts it seems like you can do a few more things on it that would boost the acceleration such as intake tbe(i don't know what that is ah) etc.

Let's not get confused, a 1.6 tdi will have very similar relative gains as a 2.0 tdi. Whereas the 1.6 fsi will struggle to gain any extra power, apart from shoving some form of forced induction on it which is not worth it.

TBE stands for turbo back exhaust and to be honest, gains from this on a tdi aren't great in comparison to a turbo petrol car. Unless you throw loads of money at it and go hybrid turbo.

Fair enough, so basically your saying that the room for fain on both 1.6 tdi and 2.0 tdi is very similar right?

what do people usually do to get good acceleration power other than remapping? and how much these other mods can cost if one was to use them?