S3 rattle?

IbisJake

Reaction score
Understand these aren't the quietest of engines, but on cold start ups the engine seems to rattle more before the idle settles down. Sounds more like a belt rattle than anything, also when stationary and revved to around 2000 rpm it seems a bit tinny as well, past this it seems fine, any suggestions or am I just being paranoid?

If you are concerned, take it to a reputable garage and get it checked out. Mine makes noise as well but it is coming from the flywheel :(

Just had her serviced at Audi and wasn't flagged up, just wondered how normal this was?

If you are concerned, say to Audi this occured after their service....

Think thats best way mate, they're having a look in morning, have a feeling its going to be a belt tensioner or something similar!

Just for reference if anyone else ever has same problem, it turned out to be the cambelt tensioner so replaced everything as would need doing toward end of this year anyway.

Just for reference if anyone else ever has same problem, it turned out to be the cambelt tensioner so replaced everything as would need doing toward end of this year anyway.

Omg ! I've had this after I got my Audi's cambelt changed !! Been driving me mad... I'm gonna phone Audi Tomo.

Omg ! I've had this after I got my Audi's cambelt changed !! Been driving me mad... I'm gonna phone Audi Tomo.

Funny you should say this as it has gotten rid of the rattle but does now seem to make a almost nocking "bassy" noise on idle which wasn't there before, may however be me trying to create problems!

Did it sound like a tappet ? Mine seams too disappear after 2k revs. It was 100% after cambelt was changed.

Did it sound like a tappet ? Mine seams too disappear after 2k revs. It was 100% after cambelt was changed.

Sounds exactly like the rattle i had, was really strong right up to 1800rpm then disappeared completely.

Yes that's exactly the same as my s3. Can tell it's not engine noise and was after I had the cambelt changed so I'm sure it's this also ! Cheers bud

Yes that's exactly the same as my s3. Can tell it's not engine noise and was after I had the cambelt changed so I'm sure it's this also ! Cheers bud

Let me know how you get on, hope your local Audi are as good as mine!

They do seam alright. How did they come about finding the problem ? Or just know straight away?

They do seam alright. How did they come about finding the problem ? Or just know straight away?

Took the car to them, they then called stating the noise was coming from inside cambelt casing and that they would suggest changing belt, tensioners and water pump, collected it after and all was fine!

Did you have the cambelt changed also? I'm just hoping they don't try too avoid the situation as I KNOW this was after it got changed but it's defo getting worse.

Did you have the cambelt changed also? I'm just hoping they don't try too avoid the situation as I KNOW this was after it got changed but it's defo getting worse.

Get it booked in, if you say the problem occurred afterwards they will have a look for free and then depending on their decision after that as to wether they cover costs or you do i guess.