A3 engine swap advice please

A_Davison

Reaction score
So as the title suggests I need a new engine. I was travelling down the motorway when the engine died on me - timing belt tensioner gave up causing the belt to snap. Ive been quoted between 2 and 4000 to fix depending on what state the head is in so I intend to swap the engine.

Its a 2004 2.0 fsi, non turbo with engine code AXW.

Ive seen a couple on eBay and providing I get one with the same engine code will it be a straight swap?

On a side note, depending on difficulty level.. this has the potential to become a project car! So how difficult would it be to fit a turbo engine? if any would fit?

Thanks in advance

Alex

The swap should be plug&play.
The conversion to turbo is doable but it would cost you a lot. You would need the turbo and the pipings, oil feed, new ecu and software, stronger internals, uprated clutch and maybe gearbox...

Reactions: sliced
The swap should be plug&play.
The conversion to turbo is doable but it would cost you a lot. You would need the turbo and the pipings, oil feed, new ecu and software, stronger internals, uprated clutch and maybe gearbox...

I was thinking more of buying the 2.0T engine rather than retro-fitting the turbo.. would it bolt right up? with only the ECU needing swapped out? Obviously an intercooler etc. would be required but do you think its more money than its worth?

Cheers

Presuming the fixing points match, you would still need new gearbox, drive shafts, new exhaust, new hubs, new suspension, bigger brakes and others :) Again, a lot of money.