Some sort of fan is running

Jasonchim

Reaction score
Hi everyone

When I turn my engine off and get out my car. There is some Sort of fan that still runs. It goes off if I start the car up again. Any idea What this could be

Thanks!!,

Is it diesel by any chance? Does it happen all the time?

Yeh, if it doesn't happen all the time, most likely the dpf has been regenerating. This has happened twice for me so far. There was also a distinctive smell too iirc.

radiator fan? Mine often runs for 30seconds or so after turning off the engine.

Mine used to do that, there are two fans one for aircon and one for rad. One of mine wasn't working so the other was working overtime. Have a look and check that they both work. Mine used to run after the engine switched off but since I got the other working it never happens anymore

Hi All,

Yes my car is a diesel, 2.0 170.

i've only just noticed that the fan started to run after i turned off the engine..

never stood and see if the fan stops after 30 secs,

Think i pay more attention how long next time!!

thanks

Yeh, if it doesn't happen all the time, most likely the dpf has been regenerating. This has happened twice for me so far. There was also a distinctive smell too iirc.

It's definitely this.

OP you'll probably find your engine idles a bit higher than usual too and if you've got the gear suggestion on the DIS it will tell you to drive in a lower gear than usual.

It's definitely this.

OP you'll probably find your engine idles a bit higher than usual too and if you've got the gear suggestion on the DIS it will tell you to drive in a lower gear than usual.

Affirmative.
Whenever I notice the gear change on the DIS being funny I know the dpf is trying to regen. so I try to change my route where it can do so. Once the Start-Stop is working again, I know the process is complete.