Coolant + EML, please help :(

wilsons3

Reaction score
Having browsed here for a while I've decided to register although unfortunately for help with my poorly s3 :(

car is a 2008 S3, with around 42,000 on the clock, owned it for 6 months all was fine and dandy until this afternoon jumped in after work and the DIS told me my coolant was low, thinking nothing of it grabbed some G12 and popped it straight into the car, hopped in and off I went about 10 minutes later on pops the coolant light again, slightly concerning put it down to the car being up to temp filled again to the line and all was fine, left the car for an hour.

Went back out set off no problems drove for around 20 minutes as the car got up to temp the coolant light came on again, nursed the car for 2/3 minutes home, opened the bonnet and I have discovered I have a leak from the left side of the engine block coming out at a fair pace, browsed the internet for help stumbled across a few older TDI's with a similar problem one with a cylinder head problem one with a perished hose.

Hoping its the latter, anyone else had a similar problem and if so was it easily sorted?

Depends how comfortable you are with a spanner, its not difficult with the right tools. It can get messy though so make sure you have a bowl, some rags and replacement coolant ready.

Depends how comfortable you are with a spanner, its not difficult with the right tools. It can get messy though so make sure you have a bowl, some rags and replacement coolant ready.

Don't mind playing around with old cars but I'm no mechanic! any ideas to a rough price considering going to a stealer in the hope i get a courtesy car for work

And if it is the pump you might as well change the Cambelt while your there save you the labour doing it again.

Sounds like water pump in my opinion as others have said. The water pump is driven via the timing belt so that would need to come off for replacement and reusing the old belt would be a very risky/stupid.

Water pump is roughly £35 for a genuine item (Trade price after exchange surcharge).
Approx £100 for a full timing belt kit (belt/idler/tensioner/bolts/nuts)
Book time for a timing belt/tensioner change is 3hours.

Audi dealers do offer a fixed price timing belt cost, this doesn't include changing the waterpump though.

thanks for all the help dropped it off this morning, just had a call back turns out it's the radiator needs replacing around £250 all in, not something I've ever had done before does that seem like a reasonable price?