Car for bowfer

Japper

Ibis S3 Fan Club
Reaction score
Bowfer,

Just sat in your ideal car mate, it had no DSG box, it had plenty of space and four doors, it looked pretty sporty, oh and it certainly will do 0-100mph in less than 26 secs.

Yep, you guessed it, Speccy cars have a RS4 in the showroom........drool.

Sales guy said 'play around with it as much as you want'.........but you can't have the keys - bummer.

Apparently all initial UK allocation sold out, could be sales guy taling sh*te.

Awesome looking car, but surprised by the 19" wheels, although they look ace, they didn't look any bigger than the 18" RS6's on the A4 parked at the side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

nah, unfortunately not, I've heard that they've all sold out too.

One sat in Gilders Sheffield at the moment that is 'Free to a good home'...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 'free' meaning 55k with options.........not a loan required, more like a small mortgage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 'free' meaning 55k with options.........not a loan required, more like a small mortgage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

trouble is that it'll be ex demo and have a previous owner... I wouldn'd mind, but the depreciation on these is insane enough withough paying new prices for a second hand car.

I know Japper,I got a call saying it was in and "would I like to go see it".

Pretty pointless really,as it's just another A4 unless you can drive it.

I've no doubt they're using it as a 'lever' to get you into the showroom though.

I'm not sure I would buy one of them even if I had the money.

I don't know what else I'd have for my £55k,but I'd have fun looking !

Yeah, I was only in for a paint warranty issue. 55k bracket is pretty sparce though and if I was in the market it would be between the RS4 and the Cayman S. Sod it, let's have both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For that kind of money,I'd probably go for a BMW 6 series.

They use those as the pace cars at the bike GP's,and they're lovely.

[ QUOTE ]
For that kind of money,I'd probably go for a BMW 6 series.

They use those as the pace cars at the bike GP's,and they're lovely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, that's where we differ, as IMO all new BMW's are ugly and the 6 series being one of the worst.

JMHO, so no flaming required /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and the M6 keeps breaking. Someone I know who owns a BMW garage dumped one for a new 7 series because it kept on breaking.

I'd get a TVR and another car for when it breaks, as my good old dad said last week when my S3 broke again, ****** hell for all this hassle you may as well buy a ****** TVR! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He may regret saying those words at some point!

I'd have a TVR and an RS4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...

... and then I'd wake up.

55k is some serious cash, and serious other alternatives, i kinda agree with bowfer about the 6 series, they look one of the best new style bimmers around at the mo

though for 55k i would have to have a toy and a weekday monkey car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm also loving the new 6 series BMW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd have a TVR and an RS4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...

... and then I'd wake up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you're the Marc I've seen over on pistonheads every now and again.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a fare cop guvna, you got me. What's your PH username?

Maybe if we buy a TVR each they'll give us a discount? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It's a fare cop guvna, you got me. What's your PH username?

Maybe if we buy a TVR each they'll give us a discount? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as I joined up asking for some advise when things when more than a little pearshaped with my car last year angryS3owner seemed to be about the only thing that wasn't already taken although it will be changing as soon as the ****** thing works for more than about 2 months without a big bill.

I'll tell you one thing, it's a very bad idea have a good friend with a griff (a 5.5Litre one at that) and don't ever go to any of the owners meets - I always come away thinking I'm sure it wouldn't cost that much to drive a 4.5L cerbera 40 miles a day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif I'd have one if had space for two cars.

Japper/Bowfer how do you find Speccy cars for servicing.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them about the new steering racks, I need a new petrol flap and there are a couple of rattles that need sorted. Wanted everything done at the same time so willing to wait till they have everything in to do the job. I might even get them to fit the Audi iPod link when the car is in.

On another note I bought a boxster from T&C for my other half, should be here in June, the customer service from them was so good I will be getting myself a porker when I have a clean licence again.

PS can't fault Speccy cars so far, normally deal with Fraser E who is a great guy.

They have always been pretty good with me, from sales right through to servicing. They also gave me the best price when trading in my last car.

Fraser's not a bad guy either, but I have always dealt with Tony Bourne.

Only real trouble I have had with my car is a paint blister on the drivers door cxaused by a zinc inclusion. So it's got to go in for a respray.

Never mind, they can sort my rear bumper out at the same time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Japper/Bowfer how do you find Speccy cars for servicing.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them about the new steering racks, I need a new petrol flap and there are a couple of rattles that need sorted. Wanted everything done at the same time so willing to wait till they have everything in to do the job. I might even get them to fit the Audi iPod link when the car is in.

On another note I bought a boxster from T&C for my other half, should be here in June, the customer service from them was so good I will be getting myself a porker when I have a clean licence again.

PS can't fault Speccy cars so far, normally deal with Fraser E who is a great guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found them fine for routine servicing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

However,as with a fair few Audi dealers (going by the comments on here),they need to be pushed about other problems.

For example,they were dismissive of my petrol flap problem and have been utterly dismissive of my power steering problem,to the point that I don't see the point in bringing it up with them again,unless it fails completely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

For example,they were dismissive of my petrol flap problem and have been utterly dismissive of my power steering problem,to the point that I don't see the point in bringing it up with them again,unless it fails completely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They know about the dodgy steering racks so I can't understand why they are giving you grief. Are the modified racks available yet?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They know about the dodgy steering racks so I can't understand why they are giving you grief. Are the modified racks available yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think bowfer is refering to the electrical assistance 'locking' up on low speed turning !

Ah, didn't realise there is another potential failing on the A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ah, didn't realise there is another potential failing on the A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really a failing, more of a 'feature' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Decisions, decisions?

2060222.006.1L.jpg

2060222.006.mini6L.jpg

2060222.006.mini5L.jpg

2060222.006.mini4L.jpg

Yep saw these ones in Autoexpress this week. £51,500 for Avant and £55,000 for cabrio.

Have always prefered the Avant in RS4 guise and would think it would hold it's value better than saloon.

Shame Cabrio dosen't get twin spoiler wing mirrors though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not sure that Bowfer's 'old school' MD would allow him to have either of them as a company car especially as he made such a mistake in choosing his current car. He would never part with his own money for one, even if he could afford it.

Perhaps he will have to wait until he's the MD !

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure that Bowfer's 'old school' MD would allow him to have either of them as a company car especially as he made such a mistake in choosing his current car. He would never part with his own money for one, even if he could afford it.

Perhaps he will have to wait until he's the MD !

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't impressed with his S4 at all (had it for about 3 weeks),so I think we could guess his thoughts on the RS4.

You are right though,I wouldn't spend £50k+ on a car that looks like a £20k version,even if it does go like stink.

It's been said before by many on here,that Audi need to do 'something' about the fact a 1.6 can look like an RS.

There is definitely too much 'blurring' in their range,for want of a better phrase.

Everyone knows a BMW 6 series (for example) is at least £47k,and they also know it has a big motor under the bonnet,so it has that instant 'wow' factor.There certainly isn't a £16k 1.6 6-series that you could tart up to look like the £50k version.

Only an expert could tell an RS4 from an S-line Avant.

Moot point for you though David.

You ticked the "keep sending me A3's until I advise otherwise" box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bowfer, although I agree that the s-line guise has blurred lesser models in the range, believe me YOU have obviously NOT seen a RS4 in the flesh. My mother could tell it's a wee bit special.

And lets compare apples with apples. A BMW M3 is a tarted up 3 series and you can buy the m sport kit and fit it to the base model. The 6 series will be met on by the new Audi nuvalari coupe.

So the only difference is you look a tw*t in a BMW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He wasn't impressed with his S4 at all (had it for about 3 weeks),so I think we could guess his thoughts on the RS4.

Obviously someone else who dosen't test drive before buying.....sorry, using company funds. You'll soon make manager bowfer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Very true Bowfer. At the moment the A3 is my ideal car and I see no reason to look elsewhere. In my opinion no-one else makes a car in my price range, that meets my requirements, that even comes close.

3-door hatchback, more than enough space for my wife and myself and our holiday luggage, front wheel drive, enough performance, excellent slightly understated design, excellent quality exterior in an easy to clean colour, superb quality non-black interior and excellent controls, comfortable driving position, good comfortable ride with acceptable handing, DSG, good standard items, acceptable radio/CD fit as standard, air-conditioning, good range of options to choose from, economical, not so common on the road as, for example, a Focus, very reliable, excellent dealer service. Regarded by most of my friends and work colleagues as a 'premium' brand and model and at a price I can afford to buy, insure and run.

What more could I possibly want !

Mind you I will always test drive the current A3 when I come to change just to make sure that nothing has changed and I still like it just as much. I have never purchased a car without test driving the same model in the past and I certainly will not start now. Perhaps that is why I have always liked and enjoyed the cars that I have owned so much.

Couple of things i've picked up on there Dave:

Acceptable radio/CD fit as standard - Mmmm well it's ok if you've got Bose, but will need upgrading if you want something that really rocks! And really the standard stereo's really lack options i.e. MP3, etc, etc...

Not so common on the road as.... - You should try driving through Nottingham/Derby... there's LOADS!!

[ QUOTE ]

You are right though,I wouldn't spend £50k+ on a car that looks like a £20k version,even if it does go like stink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's a big difference between me and you then. I don't feel it's neccessary to show that I'm "considerably richer than yow".

Yes fair point Wilko. I do not have and am not likely to ever purchase an iPod or similar so the lack of those options does not personally both me. I very rarely play CDs in the car or listen to the radio these days so the standard setup is OK by me. In the past I have always upgraded with different speakers, amplifiers and head units but now I'm happy to accept the standard radio setup. I am aware that others may think differently and would prefer a better setup. Perhaps the system used in the A8 will gradually more down to the lower models and I know that connections for MP3 players etc will be included in various models in the near future.

I have a fairly sophisticated hi-fi setup in the house and prefer to listern to music on that rather than in the car.

And Yes, the A3 and in particular the Sportback is becoming much more popular, but still no where near as many about as the Focus or Astra or similar models.

Perhaps more people are realising how good the A3s are.

[ QUOTE ]
bowfer, although I agree that the s-line guise has blurred lesser models in the range, believe me YOU have obviously NOT seen a RS4 in the flesh. My mother could tell it's a wee bit special.

And lets compare apples with apples. A BMW M3 is a tarted up 3 series and you can buy the m sport kit and fit it to the base model. The 6 series will be met on by the new Audi nuvalari coupe.

So the only difference is you look a tw*t in a BMW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

how accurate and funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

the RS4 does look a more different to the standard A4 than an m3 does to a normal bimmer with the M kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Further to my earlier post...

For details of what will no doubt be coming to Audis in the near future following this link...

Mp3 / USB connections

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously someone else who dosen't test drive before buying.....sorry, using company funds. You'll soon make manager bowfer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh he did test drive it Japper but,as with me with DSG,his initial enjoyment of the motor went downhill rapidly.A case of familiarity breeding contempt.

He cited horrendous fuel consumption and it's boring looks as the main reason for getting rid.

A case of what looks good in a bright dealer's showroom suddenly looking dull in real life.

He's definitely not anti-Audi though,as he's bought some fancy TT in Avus Silver with a black roof.

TT sport or something ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif
Smartest lookest TT I've seen,but still not my cup of hot sick.

Anyway,must dash.Got to get rid of work today so I can attend the launch of the new Alfa 159 tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's a big difference between me and you then. I don't feel it's neccessary to show that I'm "considerably richer than yow".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet,by fitting a bodykit to your car,you are making a 'statement'.

I'm not having a dig,just pointing out that the statement is there,just a different statement from the one I'd want to make.

I wouldn't necessarily say I would want to show people I was richer than them,as I'm not that kind of bloke(I can't afford to be,as I probably earn less than most on here!).

I would just want my £55k car to be instantly identifiable as 'different' from the rest of the range.

Not 'flash',just different,and not just using some different wheels and some badges.