Advice needed: track day wheels…

KentKid

Reaction score
Morning all,

I’m about to bite the bullet and swap my OEM wheels for some lighter wheels that I can use for both track days as well as every day driving.

I’ve opted for Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2’s (either matt black or anthracite – not too sure yet), and I have a few questions with regards to wheels and tyres.

The OEM wheels are 18” (18 x 7.5J – 5 x 112 – ET 54), and the tyres are 225/40/18.

The Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels I’m looking to buy are 18” (18 x 8.0 – 5 x 112 – ET 40/45/50).

My S3 is also currently fitted with KW v1 coilovers, and as a result has been lowered by 25mm front & back.

Q1: Given the extra width of the new wheels (8.0 vs 7.5), what offset should I be going for? 40, 45, or 50?

Q2: Given the extra width of the new wheels (8.0 vs 7.5), should I again fit 225/40/18 tyres, or should I opt for a something a bit wider? Maybe 235/40/18 instead? Or would the difference in offset of the new wheels mean that 225/40/18 would still be the ideal size for tyres?

Q3: I’ve been told that using wider wheels and tyres will help with the handling – how true is this, and if that is the case, what wheel offset and tyre width combination should I go for; bearing in mind that the car has been lowered by 25mm’s, and I will be cornering hard during track days! In general, I would like as little rubbing as possible; and preferably none at all…

Q4: The track/road tyres I’m considering getting are 88W (Yokohama’s). My current tyres are 92Y (Michelin PS3’s). Is it ok to fit my S3 with 88W rated tyres, or will doing so invalidate my insurance policy? If so, can anyone recommend a good set of track/road friendly tyres that I would be able to use?

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice; I literally know nothing when it comes to wheels and tyres…

Cheers,

Dan

Id get a set of A3 sport 17s and use them for track. much better solution and they are cheap.

Id get a set of A3 sport 17s and use them for track. much better solution and they are cheap.

Have you seen the curb weight of the majority of the OEM Audi wheels?

Not exactly track orientated tbh - be lucky if they were under 10kgs a piece compared to 7kgs (for 17s)

given the lard of the car do you REALLY think it matters?

given the lard of the car do you REALLY think it matters?

Totally

:uhm: Go back and read what the OP actually wants to use the replacement alloys for.

If he wanted a set of winters then I'd agree with you

OP - the 88Ws will be okay for track usage.
88 would mean you could still have around 500kgs per corner and the W means it's tried and testing upto 168mph ish.

Info from -

Tyre codes and their meanings from Kwik Fit

So unless you are preparing to go 170mph round track with a full 5 up and a full boot then you shouldn't have a problem

OP - the 88Ws will be okay for track usage.
88 would mean you could still have around 500kgs per corner and the W means it's tried and testing upto 168mph ish.

Hi Kwistof, thanks for the info.

I guess my main question about the tyre ratings would be this: would 88W rated tyres be ok for everyday road use as well track use?

My thinking being that I will more than likely leave the new wheels on permanantly when I get them, and I just want to make sure that I won't have any problems with insurance were I to be involved in a road accident with 88W tyres fitted to my car...

Thanks again,

Dan

Totally

:uhm: Go back and read what the OP actually wants to use the replacement alloys for.

ok so the OP wants to turn his S3 into something suitable for the track. Ok my point is that having dual purpose do everything wheels is a bad idea because:

- you are compromising on tyre choice. much better off with dedicated track tyres that youre happy to wreck on a track day knowing you have good wheels to get you home. Plus you have decent all weather tyres for when it rains etc.

- 17s will be lighter

- 17" tyres are cheaper and easier to come by

- you can paint them a stupid colour to look cool :)

So the point is the same, you dont need to run OEM wheels in fairness it was just a suggestion as they are cheap and easily to come by.