EGR Valve inspection

A3Kent

Reaction score
On my last service at Audi they warned me that I had a small oil leak from my EGR valve and recommended a new one at a cost of £345 including fitting. As it was only showing as "Amber" on there report, I said no, this was last October.

I'm now due to get the car in to get it's cambelt, water pump and brake fluid change done in the next month or so but wanted to have a look at the EGR valve myself or get someone to have a look for me to have a second opinion, before I take it in so Audi tell me it now needs doing.

Obviously the cost of all these bits is probably going to cost around the £800 mark but I don't want the EGR changed if it's not needed.

Any advice or anyone local to me (Kent) who knows a thing or 2 about the 2.0TDI Common Rail engine / EGR valve?

Thanks

Not really mate. I'd rather keep it all factory to be honest, especially when it comes to bits under the bonnet :)

I got mine deleted in the software and given a blanking plate to put in... You don't notice a difference and can't see the difference either which is good!

Can anyone confirm that the area that I've circled in red is the EGR valve please?
wdgf.jpg

Here are some close ups of what I think is the EGR valve and the "oil leak" that Audi suggest I replace the entire EGR valve at a cost of £350 including labour and parts.

zb1n.jpg

nocd.jpg

The black oil residue doesn't look that bad to be honest and I could suggest looks like quite an old leak? Maybe I should clean it up and see if any fresh leakage is apparent?

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 3,006
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 296
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
I got mine deleted in the software and given a blanking plate to put in... You don't notice a difference and can't see the difference either which is good!

You should feel a lower rpm, cleaner ,stronger pull.

Don't keep a stock item that deprives a turbo, chokes up the valve itself and your inlet manifold with oil and soot and blackens the oil quickly with the soot.

Disable or delete and the oil will be cleaner for longer.

Looking at those pictures it looks like its just the gasket that leaking, it costs around £3 from the dealer. As for removing the EGR, there's just as many advantages to keeping it as there is to removing. I'd give changing the gasket a go 1st (3 bolts to do it) & take it from there.

it is easy to do and should not take more then a hour,i done mine and cleaned it at the same time and put new gasket top and bottom £7

Thanks for the replies gents.

I'm not too sure if I'm confident enough to be taking bits apart underneath the bonnet. Anyone local to me (Tonbridge, Kent) got experience of replacing the gaskets / clean the EGR and able to come and help? Don't mind travelling a bit either. Cash waiting