Westy's Tarmac Terrorist!

Westy

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread for my new 8P to keep track of any changes I make along the way. Some of you might know me from the 8L section where I used to own this car:

3a34cd62.jpg

Well, after 5 and half years of S3 ownership the time came for me to look for a diesel due to my work commute working out at around 24k miles a year. My original idea was to get a cheap diesel runner and keep the S3 in my garage and get it out for sunny days and track days. The reality was that I'd never get time to use it if it went in the garage so it made more sense that someone else could enjoy it.

Anyway, the S3 build thread can be found here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/119353-w3stys-progress-thread.html

That was a "proper" build thread with an engine rebuild and all the bells and whistles. Don't expect this one to be as good ;)

So, some of you may also know my new car from here also. It belonged to "FlyingOyster" who had owned it for the last 5 years.

null_zps4495c07e.jpg

Ignore the bonnet, I'd just popped it to check the fluids ;)

The car is a 2004 Akoya Silver 2.0 TDI 140 3dr with the following mods:

- AET Hybrid Turbo pushing 220bhp and 335lbft torque
- Southbend Clutch and SMF
- Full non resonated Miltek exhaust
- AP Coilovers
- EGR and cooler delete
- K&N Pannel Filter
- Refurbished cylinder head (after the dreaded BKD head issue struck)
- 18" Audi A8 Fat Five wheels

My main ideas for this car are to neaten it up a bit but leave the engine mods alone as this car is no slouch and yet I can still average 51mpg on my commute.

He's a few pics:

null_zps80222836.jpg

And in her new bedroom:

null_zpsb697bec2.jpg

First thing I wanted to do was get all the yellow bulbs changed to LEDs. Flying Oyster had done some of them but not all of them so pinged T8ups a quick PM to order the LEDS I was missing. Great service and fast delivery from Mr Tups.

null_zps52b1e34c.jpg

null_zps56e9b7cb.jpg

null_zps4af466e4.jpg

null_zpsf3231c17.jpg

null_zps66c2e841.jpg

null_zpsfd201d5d.jpg

It already had LED side lights but one of them was a bit flakey:

null_zps00bc7a3e.jpg

null_zps13f573cd.jpg

I found a great place for putting my coffee when working on the car :thumbsup:

null_zpsd5301bab.jpg

null_zps2a04638e.jpg

null_zps33937019.jpg

null_zpsfbbeac7e.jpg

Much better.

I then set about trying to sort out why I had a wet passenger footwell. I'd read on here about water getting in from the speakers so I sealed them up:

null_zps51a8adeb.jpg

null_zpsb0650ffa.jpg

null_zpscc87b537.jpg

null_zps439eacfb.jpg

null_zps9e954f8c.jpg

I have a broken hinge on my glove box so I removed the whole box to look into how I could fix it:

null_zps22a3263a.jpg

The issue is that this plastic piston thing is stiff as **** and as a result I think the glovebox has been forced open and the hinge has broken:

null_zps53bcabed.jpg

null_zps6b83c8d6.jpg

null_zpsaf05cb37.jpg

I thought about just buying a 2nd hand glovebox till I saw the prices! Think I'll try to fix this one up.

I had number plate surrounds on my old S3 so I bought a set of them for the A3:

null_zps8ff39627.jpg

I have purchased a 2nd hand boot lid today that's already in Akoya Silver to replace this one as it has a fairly hefty dent.

null_zps312c12b5.jpg

null_zpse1ef15c3.jpg

null_zpsed150cb9.jpg

As some of you may have spotted I have a FMIC of some sorts. It's not plumbed in currently as apparently caused too much lag. I'll be investigating this at some point.

So, up and coming things to do are:

- Wind the coilovers right down
- Fit a facelift front bumper
- Investigate FMIC options/requirements
- Fit new boot lid
- Fit a spoiler of some sort as I feel the car needs a bit more then the puny lip
- Fit a front splitter
- Refurbish the Fat Fives

Last edited:
Reactions: camscockle20vT, CHEZ, SPARTAN91 and 3 others
Looking good!

I had the same issue with my glove box, i just applied a resin glue and let it set for a good 48hours under compression and then removed the damper cylinder from the glove box. I mean whenever i open the glove box i always support it with my hand? So dont really see a need for the damper.

Jonny.

Reactions: Westy
Had the same glovebox issue on my 2007 S3. Stuck it with glue and then gingerly handed it back to the dealers and ran the other way.

Good work so far Westy; keep it coming!

What are my options for replacing the non existent spoiler? Is it a choice of SLine, S3, or RS3, or are there any other suggestions?

I saw some fiberglass jobbies on eBay that might be worth a punt as they were a hell of a lot cheaper and I need to get some paint work done anyway.

Can't deal with this:

null_zpseb87622f.jpg

Jeez that is poor, my missus has got more lip on her than that when she's got the ar$eh0le on!

To be honest as they don't do a lot, as long as they can carry the rear high level brake light it may be worth investigating the fibreglass route. Mine flexes like you wouldn't believe when you put a bike rack on it.

Unless you strike lucky and can get one from a breakers (S-Line or S3 as the RS ones will be rare / expensive), I'd keep your options open.

Reactions: JudderMan and Westy
Would like to know more about the fibreglass spoilers... Iv got the sport sportback and looks a bit plain without a spoiler but wont have the funds for official S line spoiler any time soon :(

Have to keep us updated bro, nice thread.

Top work mate but not good that completely sacked off the S3 :( all the sweat and blood lol

Anyhows this thread is the only and probably will be the only reason have ever entered the 8P side ;)

Reactions: JudderMan, Westy and g60leigh
Looks to be an awesome thread! :)

Last edited:
I'll be keeping an eye out bud.

What's with the LEDs with a lead on them?

The 8P CAN BUS system is a lot more clever the the 8L one so you need to be able to trick it or it flags up fault codes to tell you the bulbs are dead.

T8ups had created these side lights that have an LED and a normal side light bulb in the same harness to keep it happy.

It's going to be a big learning curve with the 8P but it's got me interested again.

I always thought it was as simple as wiring a resistor into the circuit so it thinks there's more draw than that of a led.

Learn summit new every day. Damn cars and their new systems.

Reactions: voorhees and dannyh1991uk
I bought a spoiler and Votex front splitter (GRP/FibreGlass) from a seller on eBay from a seller in poland. Delivery and quality is very good! Links are in my thread m8 if you want to check them out before buying one (y)

I bought a spoiler and Votex front splitter (GRP/FibreGlass) from a seller on eBay from a seller in poland. Delivery and quality is very good! Links are in my thread m8 if you want to check them out before buying one (y)

Thanks Jonathan. I've just saved the spoiler and the splitter from your thread in my eBay. I was going to just stick a Cupra R splitter on but tht one in your thread is tasty.

If you're interested I will have a genuine votex splitter for sale soon, I'm facelifting my split grille to an S3 front, and my old front has the splitter which ill no longer need. I also have a votex boot spoiler if you're interested.

I'll get some pics for you if you like?

EDIT: the front splitter will be of no use if you're going single grille

Last edited:
Quick question, im sure there are other threads on this but what product would you use to bond the spoiler to the tailgate?... I presume this is the preferred option over drilling new holes?

I have a 5 door Sportback though so may be different.

are you going to make your own TIP for the turbo with an S2000 filter?

Or would the warm air be too much for the car to handle

LOL

I'll let you into the 8P spoiler rule.........

Don't buy Votex.... too square.

Don't buy ebay aftermarkets.... too crap (i.e. doesn't hold the paint job)

Do buy genuine s-line/S3 (make sure it comes from a car with the same number of doors as yours).... will fit just right and hold the paint as it should.

What he said ^^

Wound those coilovers down yet? you must be getting altitude sickness by now

Changed the rear brakes today as they had been an advisory on the MOT in December and they were looking a little thin.

Thin was an understatement!

null_zps9fee9722.jpg

Metal on metal may be what was causing a slight brake judder from high speeds.

null_zps80060c99.jpg

Old vs new.

null_zpsb7cffa46.jpg

null_zps3440b13c.jpg

null_zps2e01bdf9.jpg

null_zps83239f5a.jpg

null_zps417128f3.jpg

null_zpsb62e23bd.jpg

Reactions: StaceyS3 and warren_S5
While I was at it I wanted to try and lower the rear coilovers. After a quick look at the rears and a read online it looks like I need to compress the springs to move the adjuster! When I got the C tool on the adjuster the whole lot just turned round.

Can anyone confirm how I adjust the rears of AP Coilovers please:

null_zpse6aa6c1d.jpg

null_zps659b4546.jpg

Your supposed to take the adjuster out and adjust it off the car. However, if you drill a hole in the black threaded bit big enough to put a screwdriver in you can use the screwdriver to stop the thread from rotating and use the c spanner on the blue collar.

hmm looking at your picture.

When my mate did mine (JOM's) we did the rears and the adjuster was at the bottom lol... or did we do it wrong lmao? (not that we needed it higher.)

Reactions: Roblaw
Your supposed to take the adjuster out and adjust it off the car. However, if you drill a hole in the black threaded bit big enough to put a screwdriver in you can use the screwdriver to stop the thread from rotating and use the c spanner on the blue collar.

Thanks mate.

I'd rather not drill the thread so I'll get some spring compressors and take the whole thing off. I can ensure its properly greased then too.

Thanks mate.

I'd rather not drill the thread so I'll get some spring compressors and take the whole thing off. I can ensure its properly greased then too.

You shouldn't need them mate, when we put mine in we could compress the rear arm with the spring in by hand. There shouldn't be much tension on the spring.

First clean today. This is my first ever silver car so I was shocked at how bad the tar spots were! This was just a quick clean and Akoya Silver is a really nice colour. Can't wait to spend a day on it with the clay bar and polish.

null_zpscffc7c40.jpg

null_zpsd0ffd5fa.jpg

Reactions: 95ram3, StaceyS3, voorhees and 1 other person
didn't know your alloys were gloss haha, still not sorted that ride height :shutup2:

looks nice and shiny though!

didn't know your alloys were gloss haha, still not sorted that ride height :shutup2:

looks nice and shiny though!

I didn't know they were gloss till I washed them lol. They need a refurb but I'll probably keep them the same.

I've not had the time this weekend what with changing the brakes, mowing the lawn, and watching the footy. Should get time next weekend. The height of the rear is annoying me a bit. I probably leave the front as it is, just get the rear to match.

Could be wrong so forgive me if i am in relation to your glove box the dampners used to be between £15-£20 if you can repair the hinge just replace the damper with a new one.

westicles welcome to the dark side.. not the double dark side though why diesel shouldve got a 2.0tfsi quattro much more potential :) nonetheless nice car will you do 8P3 conversion in the future ?

westicles welcome to the dark side.. not the double dark side though why diesel shouldve got a 2.0tfsi quattro much more potential :) nonetheless nice car will you do 8P3 conversion in the future ?

Thanks Sevv.

I would have liked to have stuck with a petrol engine but I do too many miles for work. A performance diesel was always the best bet. I would like an 8P S3 one day.

I will be doing the conversion as soon as I've got all the bits together, I love the look of the facelift A3s.

I finally got round to doing some logging with VCDS last night. Just a quick blast in between work and footy. Can someone help me out with some of these readings as they are completely foreign compared to on the 1.8T engine I'm used to :think:

- First up, my highest MAF reading was 1275 mg/str which I've read is its maxed out value. Is this normal on a mapped 2.0 TDI?

- Secondly, my boost pressure readings were as follows: 2601 another maxed out value! Is this 2.6 Bar? if so then that would be 37.7 PSI (I know PSI better then Bar) which seems high to me but I've no idea what a stock Diesel turbo boost pressure is let alone what's acceptable from a hybrid. Any advise welcome.

- And thirdly. My biggest worry! The AITs. The car is currently on the standard intercooler and the ambient temp was 7.5 degrees. At idle the AITs were around 10 degrees, part throttle normal driving was between 12-14 degrees on average, and after a few blasts they went up to just over 26 degrees. I'd like to get these readings down to no more then 10 degrees above ambient temp if possible as it's only going to get worse in the summer. Do diesel turbos tend to run hotter charge temps then petrol turbos? If these AITs are almost reaching 20 degrees above ambient I could easily be seeing 50+ degrees in the summer which is just scary.

So the research begins on an adequate FMIC to suit my setup that's able to significantly reduce charge temps but still retain current drivability. There is a FMIC currently fitted but not piped in as apparently it caused too much lag in the high gears so I think I'll need something in between the size of the stock IC and the aftermarket FMIC.

Thanks Sevv.

I would have liked to have stuck with a petrol engine but I do too many miles for work. A performance diesel was always the best bet. I would like an 8P S3 one day.

I will be doing the conversion as soon as I've got all the bits together, I love the look of the facelift A3s.

nice yeah the 8P doesn't look as attractive as the 8P3 it really does look the part.. we can probably share info as a few of us are actually going through the conversion.. maybe once i get my build done and that gt3076 i may entice you down the track :)

Well, the only thing I can answer there is my mapped tdi runs at 2.5bar which seems high but diesels normally run high boost pressures